Thread: Runed Halo questions

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Runed Halo questions

Hello Guys,

I have a couple of scenarios that needs to be cleared using Runed Halo.

Scenario 1: I casted a Runed Halo. It resolves but as it resolves, my opponent Stifles the naming effect. Can she actually do that?

Scenario 2:
    My opponent is playing Dredge and somehow got a handful of 2/2 Zombies into the field. On my turn, I resolved a Runed Halo. Can I name a 2/2 black Zombie under Runed Halo?

Scenario 3:
    My opponent managed to pull off the Dark Depths combo and has a 20/20 Marit Lage on his side of the field. On my turn, I resolved a Runed Halo. Can I name Marit Lage under Runed Halo?

Scenario 4:
    I have a resolved Runed Halo naming Tendrils of Agony. The following turn, my opponent does what an AnT deck is supposed to do and has a Tendrils of Agony targetting me with enough storm count to take my life to zero. I know that I have protection from the original Tendrils of Agony. Do I also gain protection from Tendils of Agony's copies?

Thanks!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Re: Runed Halo questions

1)
    Runed Halo's naming effect can't be stifled, as it is not a triggered ability. (it misses the "when", "whenever" or "at" keyword)

2 and 3)
    You can only name cards, and tokens are not cards, so no.

4) Your opponent can't target you in any way with Tendrils, while Runed Halo is on the battlefield. Not with the original, nor with the copies.
    Last edited by hjalte; 05-27-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: whoops

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Cool, thanks a bunch!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by hjalte View Post
    1)2 and 3)
    You can only name cards, and tokens are not cards, so no.
    To name a card, you have to name something that is a legal card you could find in Oracle. However, there are some effects that make tokens that share a name with card. You can Runed Halo Assembly-Worker and protect yourself from Urza's Factory.

4) Your opponent can't target you in any way with Tendrils, while Runed Halo is on the battlefield. Not with the original, nor with the copies.
    Which doesn't mean they have to target themself instead. It means they can't cast it at all targeting you.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    You can Runed Halo Assembly-Worker and protect yourself from Urza's Factory.
    I assume this also works to protect oneself from Mishra's Factory (being the more relevant card usually), right?

May 2010
    Boston

No, it doesn't work against Factory. Mishra's Factory is named "Mishra's Factory" not "Assembly Worker." It has creature type "Assembly Worker" but is named "Mishra's Factory."
    My Avatar:
    Tohsaka Rin - 1UW
    Creature - Human Wizard
    Tohsaka Rin comes into play with three command counters on it.
    Remove a command counter from Tohsaka Rin: Gain control of target creature until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn.
    T: Choose one - another target creature you control is unblockable this turn or another target creature you control gains shroud until end of turn.
    2/1

Check out my Magic blog: http://carefulstudy.blogspot.com

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Urza's Factory. Naming assembly-worker (the card) protects you from the tokens as well as Anusien pointed out.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

So what you guys are trying to say is I can name Marit Lage under Runed Halo and I will gain protection from it? I am now confused.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    So what you guys are trying to say is I can name Marit Lage under Runed Halo and I will gain protection from it? I am now confused.
    No, because there is no card named "Marit Lage". The Assembly-Worker naming thing only works because there actually is a piece of cardboard called "Assembly-Worker".

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Now I see,

Assembly-Worker

I thought it was just Mishra's Factory's creature type and the name of the tokens produced by Urza's Factory.

Thank explains a lot. Thanks for clearing that up!
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Hey,

what if someone were to use a global removal effect to get rid of runed halo or other permanents i control. Like for instance if someone used Runed Halo to protect against tranquility or nevinyrral's disk or Decree of annihilation. would the Runed halo protect me from those sorcery's destroying everything entirely?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by krimit View Post
    Hey,

what if someone were to use a global removal effect to get rid of runed halo or other permanents i control. Like for instance if someone used Runed Halo to protect against tranquility or nevinyrral's disk or Decree of annihilation. would the Runed halo protect me from those sorcery's destroying everything entirely?
    Protection only prevents you from being targeted, makes auras attached to the Protected object slide off, an prevents all damage from being dealt to the Protected object.

It won't help against something like a large scale sweeper effect such as Decree of Annihilation that doesn't target or deal damage.

Thread Information