Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] Intet, the Dreamer (The Intet Offensive)

[EDH] Intet, the Dreamer (The Intet Offensive)

I wanted to post a current list that I have for my Intet EDH deck. Feel free to ask about individual card choices, since I can justify most of them, but when looking for cards to cut, it has become extremely difficult the do.

Creatures:

Intet, the Dreamer
    Trygon Predator
    Oracle of Mul Daya
    Acidic Slime
    Glen Elendra Archmage
    Flametongue Kavu
    Dominus of Fealty
    Mystic Snake
    Mulldrifter
    Djinn of Wishes
    Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
    Rampaging Baloths
    Eternal Witness
    Seedborn Muse
    Venser, Shaper Savant
    Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
    Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
    Primeval Titan
    Inferno Titan

Artifacts:

Gilded Lotus
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Mana Vault
    Darksteel Ingot
    Mana Crypt
    Sol Ring
    Coalition Relic
    Lightning Greaves
    Umezawa's Jitte
    Crystal Shard
    Vedalken Shackles

Enchantments:

Future Sight
    Holistic Wisdom
    Sylvan Library
    Propaganda
    Leyline of Anticipation

Instants:

Relic Crush
    Hinder
    Krosan Grip
    Counterspell
    Cryptic Command
    Voidslime
    Snakeform
    Ancient Grudge
    Mystical Tutor
    Fact or Fiction
    Suffocating Blast
    Mana Drain
    Force of Will
    Momentous Fall

Sorceries:

Rite of Replication
    Harmonize
    Decimate
    Firespout
    Chain Reaction
    Hull Breach
    Bribery
    Concentrate
    Time Stretch
    Kodama's Reach
    Cultivate
    Restock
    Tooth and Nail
    Primal Command

Planeswalkers:

Jace Beleren
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Lands:

Scalding Tarn
    Wooded Foothills
    Misty Rainforest
    Flooded Strand
    Taiga
    Volcanic Island
    Tropical Island
    Stomping Ground
    Steam Vents
    Breeding Pool
    Karplusan Forest
    Yavimaya Coast
    Shivan Reef
    Flooded Grove
    Fire-Lit Thicket
    Cascade Bluffs
    Strip Mine
    Wasteland
    Reliquary Tower
    Open Slot
    Thawing Glaciers
    3 Forest
    2 Mountain
    8 Island

Last edited by munkie; 01-25-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: UPDATES!
    Team Sexy - Better Than Ever, Still Better Than You

Bryant Cook

Re: [EDH] Intet, the Dreamer (The Intet Offensive)

I don't like Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs or Sphinx of Jwar Isle. They're just not useful enough, same could be said for Taurlean Mauler. While Mauler is an absolute beat stick, in a control deck I don't know if not having an ability is going to be worth while. Thirst for Knowledge in a deck with so few artifacts scares me. Try out Tidings or Opportunity.

Kazuul is an absolute beating. I was playing with Propaganda in this deck from the start, and if they didn't deal with it, it really always bought me enough time to establish myself every time I cast it. So I really started looking into finding another effect like it, and couldn't find anything until they printed this guy. He has been like a 5 mana Blazing Archon every time for the most part. Most people don't either want you to get another guy, or just Fog them in general.

Sphinx is an effective threat that is tough to kill and has great flavor and synergy with my General. "Do I feel like using Intet this turn? Let's see."

Never been unhappy with Thirst. Even raw dogged, it's still been good. I like the instant speed and as far as opportunity, I see one less card for 3 less mana, I'll take it.

Mauler is actually on the chopping block, but not for the reasons you mentioned. Forgotten Ancient is pretty much just better in every way, but I don't have a foil one. Even then, that slot is still on the chopping block. Mauler gets bigger when they cast a spell... and Ancient gets bigger when they cast a spell and even bigger when I counter it. But since my bigs are big enough to get the job done by themselves, these guys can't really get it done off the top. Mauler hasn't ever been bad, I just feel like it could be something better most of the time.

Bryant Cook

I still don't think Kazuul is worth playing especially for the reasons you mentioned.

Sphinx, I didn't think about how he interacted with your general. I guess he's worth playing.

You should be playing Natures Lure, Farseek, Reach, and Vegetation over artifact mana seeing as they don't die to board sweepers. As for Thirst, it only breaks even if you didn't draw/discard an artifact or +1 if you did. Where Opportunity is always +3 on card advantage.

Kazuul is my red propaganda. It allows me to stall just enough to get a couple more lands in play. This deck has a very hard time losing once it get's past turn 6 or 7.

Opportunity is still 6 mana draw spell. I would rather play Recurring Insight for that much mana. If I were to cut Thirst, it could be for something, but not Opportunity.

I feel like EDH is at it's best when you get the most effect out of the mana that you invest into a card. I live and build decks by that philosophy and it seems to be working.

I agree with you about why I should cut the Signets, as that is the same reason why I want to. Makes Thirst and Guided Passage worse, however. But I would play Growth Spasm over any of those spells.

I would never cut Mana Vault, Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Ingot or Relic. Power > potentially dying to sweepers.

Sep 2008
    Toledo, Ohio

I think I like Time Warp over Time Stretch, just because I think your deck should win with one extra turn.

Also, I would use Tidings over Concentrate, but that's a personal call. Tidings is better than Opportunity, IMO, and I think it beats out Concentrate because you get the extra card. I like more cards if it's only costing 1 colorless for the extra one.

You may want to consider cards like Indrik Stomphowler, Wickerbough Elder, and Gifts Ungiven too, as they seem to fit within the idea of your deck.

If you're looking for a Propaganda-type effect on a stick, try Chronozoa. That might be the most annoying creature in the format! I've also had great success with Renegade Doppleganger as an early form of control, especially when your creature base is a toolbox of answers like yours is.

I would definitely recommend Worldly Tutor in this build, to help find Venser/Trygon/etc. I would also highly recommend Bloodbraid Elf in this build. She would be a house!
    Currently Playing: BANT Aggro variant

Swarm: Thank you for your input.

I made a few changes to the deck. Check them out.

Time Warp vs. Time Stretch- Time Stretch wins for a number of reasons:1. Being able to cheat it onto the stack is the best feeling in the world. Time Warp isn't really nearly that impressive. 2. I have a sick foil Japanese Time Stretch from Odyssey. 3. I'm greedy 4. INTET!

Gifts Ungiven is banned :-/ otherwise, I'd be all over that shit.

Tidings vs. Concentrate- I like the Concentrate/Harmonize flavor. I also really like the way these curve in my deck. I don't really have a lot of 4 mana cards in this deck, so I like the 4 slot being card draw (Concentrate, Harmonize, Momentus Fall, Jace, Fact or Fiction). The first turn I have 5 mana is usually really awkward. I don't want to add another 5cc to the deck.

Stomphowler/Elder/Chronozoa/Bloodbraid- Decent creatures in their own right, but they can't win a game by themselves like the rest of my bigs can. These creatures won't be good 100% of the time, so they're just not worth it. Elder is worthy of consideration, but I would hate to get that with Guided Passage probably always.

Worldly Tutor- Just isn't good enough on it's own. So to cover the desire for such a card, I added the multifaceted Primal Command.

Quote Originally Posted by munkie View Post
    Swarm: Thank you for your input.

I made a few changes to the deck. Check them out.

Time Warp vs. Time Stretch- Time Stretch wins for a number of reasons:1. Being able to cheat it onto the stack is the best feeling in the world. Time Warp isn't really nearly that impressive. 2. I have a sick foil Japanese Time Stretch from Odyssey. 3. I'm greedy 4. INTET!

Gifts Ungiven is banned :-/ otherwise, I'd be all over that shit.

Tidings vs. Concentrate- I like the Concentrate/Harmonize flavor. I also really like the way these curve in my deck. I don't really have a lot of 4 mana cards in this deck, so I like the 4 slot being card draw (Concentrate, Harmonize, Momentus Fall, Jace, Fact or Fiction). The first turn I have 5 mana is usually really awkward. I don't want to add another 5cc to the deck.

Stomphowler/Elder/Chronozoa/Bloodbraid- Decent creatures in their own right, but they can't win a game by themselves like the rest of my bigs can. These creatures won't be good 100% of the time, so they're just not worth it. Elder is worthy of consideration, but I would hate to get that with Guided Passage probably always.

Worldly Tutor- Just isn't good enough on it's own. So to cover the desire for such a card, I added the multifaceted Primal Command.
    Is Worldly tutor ever really on it's own when Intet is your general? Seems like it would be pretty good to have that kind of library manipulation with your generals ability.

Sep 2008
    Toledo, Ohio

munkie- Well put. I can understand your card choices in every instance.

I really like Primal Command in EDH, I just neglected to see that it was missing from your original list. :) I was also unaware that Gifts was banned, but that isn't too surprising.

Have you thought about Mul Daya Channelers over Oracle of Mul Daya? I undertand the merits of both cards, but in my experience playing with both of them, Channelers seems to offer more punch for less mana. It also has the same synergy with Intet, although I understand that Oracle allows you to dig a little bit more. Just a thought to chew on.

I would also consider the following cards as additional utility:
    Woodfall Primus
    Genesis
    Forgotten Ancient
    Pelakka Wurm
    Voidmage Husher
    Murkfiend Liege
    Chord of Calling
    Tooth and Nail

Last but not least, I think one of the best cards to use with Intet is Cream of the Crop. I know it's a different type of strategy, but combining this with Impromptu Raid starts to get a little nutty.

Hope these suggestions help!
    Currently Playing: BANT Aggro variant

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

If you go with Tooth & Nail, you could also be That Guy and run Kiki-Jiki/Pestermite. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

I have thought about a lot of those cards. Some of the top contenders of cards I have considered are:

Mul Daya Channelers
    Murkfiend Liege
    Tooth and Nail

These cards are good, but with Channelers Not getting there most of the time, I can't afford to risk the inconsistency in performance for the random times it will be really powerful. Oracle of Mul Daya let's me put lands into play, which is what I want to do, and has Rampaging Baloths triggers.

I like the Liege, but the good part about Seedborn Muse is that it untaps lands. That's what I want to be doing with a card like this. My creatures having vigilance is cool, but rarely relevant.

Tooth and Nail just doesn't seem like it fits in this sort of deck. I don't really have any cool two card combos, as those generally require you to run bad cards (see: Pestermite). This deck does not run any bad cards. That is the goal. I want every seven card opener to be a sick one. That's why I want this deck to have the best mix of the best cards in these colors.

Due to this strategy, since I have had this version of the deck, The Intet Offensive winning percentage is .825 or above. Including multiplayer games of no more than 4, I win at least 8 out of 10 games. Seems like my strategy has been working, so I need every card I draw to be awesome. No bad cards at any time. This is our goal.

All of the other cards listed may have been under consideration or in older versions of this deck, but were ultimately cut from the deck due to not being good 100% of the time. Drawing Forgotten Ancient or Taurean Mauler on turn 15 gets rather old after the first few times.

Chord of Calling might be good in this deck. It's not necessarily ever a dead draw, let's me play a creature from my deck at instant speed... but for like 8 or 9 mana. I just think it's going to end up costing too much at the end of the day to end up doing anything really sick with it a consistent number of times.

Is not Goyf
    Jan 2005
    California

I was thinking about building an Intet deck and I was curious: What are some your usual routes to victory?

As far as suggestions go, I'm a big fan of Quiet Speculation with a potential pile of Deep Analysis, Recoup, Moment's Peace, Ancient Grudge, and Krosan Reclamation. Recoup also works well with Intuition which can get Recoup, Time Stretch, Retarded Sorcery.

I usually win by the huuuuge cardadvantage I get once Kiki-Jiki hits play. Copy Mulldrifters, Solemn Simulacrum but mostly Mystic Snake and Draining Whelk. Obviously stronger in duels.
    My list is also somewhere on the forums, but probably not the latest one.

@ Tog:

The cool part about this deck, is that it can play the same way every time or totally different every time you play it. The fact that this deck remains so incredibly consistent no matter what your opening 7 are, that you can usually win with whatever it is you draw. When I draw a hand of counterspells and control cards, I generally try to play the Intet plan. I'll run him out there and pretty much just protect him and ride the Intet Card Advantage Express all the way to victory.

Any of the bigs in this deck can pretty much rid you to victory on their own, Kazuul being the obvious exception.

Seedborn Muse might seem broken in a vacuum, but realistically, when I hear people complain about this card, I just feel like I don't care. It's just a combo piece. A rather easy one to deal with, I might add. The 4-butt makes it susceptible to most removal and, well, it's green.

Rampaging Baloths is a card that warps the way I play when I draw it. This card is such unmitigated raw power, it has proven itself to be probably in the top 10 EDH creatures of all time. Rarely a dead draw, there are so many cards in this deck that just break it wide open. Fetchlands, Oracle, Future Sight and the Rampant Growths just make this guy so sick.

Spellbound Dragon really is just a 5-mana 8+/5 flying Merfolk Looter. Insane. Borderline retarded.

I can go on and on, but win however you can. My personal favorite: Attack with Intet, trigger on the stack, Mystical for Time Stretch into the concession.

The graveyard package is cute, but this list is just too tight to add marginally functional cards to a very powerful deck.

@JeroenC:

Kiki-Jiki is good, but almost too good in a sense. I like him, but he really is only good with a couple creatures in the deck. I like the style of this deck and the way it plays out, so I really am trying to change it as little as possible.I do really want to find room for a Solemn Simulacrum in this deck. Might be better than Mulldrifter.

Current list of potential additions updated.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

If you're running Sylvan Library, why not run Abundance? Works good.
    Also, would you like some Plow Under? It buys you a couple of turns, especially in the late game.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Current list of cuts is:

Guided Passage- Well, this card started out as cute since it was the only other card in magic that costs URG. It worked since i designed the deck to have this card get the three worst cards out of my deck and put them in my hand, with the idea that none of them suck. Now that I have the deck to the point where none of the cards suck ever, Guided Passage is effectively useless. I like this spot becoming Crystal Shard. The same 3 mana investment, but helps with controlling the tempo and making friends. Along with being able to re-use my creatures ETB effects is pretty neato.

Urza's Rage- I kept convincing myself to keep this in due to the deck having a general lack of removal. Also, my justification for keeping it in the deck was that coupled with the fact that I can recur it with Holistic Wisdom and kick it for an alternate win strategy. But, if I have that kind of control over a game, it shouldn't matter what kind of card I have to win with. I like this spot becoming Inferno Titan. Raises the curve a bit, but it does the same amount of damage, along with being a win condition (for much less mana).

Sphinx of Jwar Isle- This is really cool with Intet, but I have recently had a problem with it only being a 5/5. It can't trade with a lot of other generals, and I have no way to make it bigger through shroud. I have a lot of library manipulation to begin with, so this is actually proven to be quite nominal and unimpressive. I like this spot becoming Primeval Titan. Let's be honest, Titan is pretty sick. Nice body with some land toolbox possibilities. Plays well with Rampaging Baloths. Same mana investment.

Prophetic Bolt- Still on the fence about this one, but removing Urza's Rage makes it so I have even less removal. Maybe this would be a nice clean swap for Treachery.

Mulldrifter- Eh. Two cards is pretty good, and at worst it's Divination, but I rarely want to do less than pay 5 mana for it so I get the most out of it. A 2/2 body is not quite what I want for 5 mana sorcery speed, but this card will obviously get a bit better when I add Crystal Shard.

Spelljack- Man this card is so sweet. I 'Jacked a Rite of Replication the other day and kicked it on a Garruk's Packleader. It was awesome. I drew into Reliquary Tower.

Thawing Glaciers- I wanted to try it out, so I got a sweet foil one. Just a little slower than I want. Still pretty decent, just on the hot seat.

Why are you cutting Spelljack if you're saying it's sweet?

I think Titan is good enough to lose the cute interaction with Jar Jar

I'd keep Mulldrifter myself. Love the card and you have 3 ways to make it instant speed right? Also I agree that adding shard will make it better as it becomes a 4 mana repeatable draw spell.

Spelljack, while sweet, is a little greedy. Even for this deck.

A little late but:
    Quote Originally Posted by munkie View Post
    @JeroenC:

Kiki-Jiki is good, but almost too good in a sense. .
    This is too true. Both my Kresh and my Intet have begon to revolve almost completely around him. Kresh comboes him with Survival, Intet with Draining Whelk and Mystic Snake (and I almost also put Survival there >.<). However, while Kiki+Whelk usually wins duels, it puts you under a lot of pressure to a) counter the right things and b) find a way to finish your opponents before they do you in a freeforall. So I'm just going to make Intet more broken and less Mirror-breaking. I'll update with a list if I find one I find pleasing.

Kiki-Jiki is pretty awful on his own... and if you get any sort of engine going with him, it puts a huge target on you. It's simply a liability that is too great for another 5 mana 2/2.

@Bret: I haven't cut it yet! It's on the block though.

Thread Information