Thread: Buying Proxies.

Buying Proxies.

I want to get a hold of nice looking proxies for some expensive Vintage decks that I want to create. Namely, Power 9 and other 100+ dollar cards that I don't feel like dropping thousands of dollars on. There is a local card shop that holds 15-proxy limit vintage tournaments. I obviously won't be using these proxies in any real DCI sanctioned tournaments, but I still wanna play with Power (and it would be fun to crush people in causal once in a blue moon). I saw this site, however I was a bit nervous that one of the payment options he was encouraging was through Western Union as I have heard bad things about WU.

Are there any good sites that I can order well drawn proxies of expensive cards like Mana Drain and such?

Any advice is more than welcome.

Re: Buying Proxies.

Nothing quite like pimping an "expensive Vintage deck" is proxied drains. let me tell you, jaws drop, like what!!!!!!!!1111

Quote Originally Posted by denial View Post
    Nothing quite like pimping an "expensive Vintage deck" is proxied drains. let me tell you, jaws drop, like what!!!!!!!!1111
    lol

Trying to trade into power!!!
    Hit me up if you have any unlimited power that isn't creased. Maybe we can make a deal.

Jun 2008
    Ohio

You can actually make some good looking ones with a little time and effort. Erase some text one a similar card and sharpie in new text, etc (See the Starcity Power 9 Series proxy thread for an example). I don't know anywhere you'd buy one, really. The only thing I can think of is personally from one of the artists in the pimp cards thread.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

I'd have to advise against using that site. The information he put about how to use Paypal seems really questionable. Also, clicking on the link to "western union" on his site actually leads to some kind of weird unsecure site as my browser alerted me to. I didn't proceed any further.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Western Union advises its customers not to send money to someone that they have never met in person. Despite its efforts in increasing customers' awareness of the issue,[12] Western Union is used for internet fraud by scammers.[13]

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    I'd have to advise against using that site. The information he put about how to use Paypal seems really questionable. Also, clicking on the link to "western union" on his site actually leads to some kind of weird unsecure site as my browser alerted me to. I didn't proceed any further.

Thanks for the warning. I had a funny feeling about the site...

Person of interest
    Aug 2006
    Woodland, CA

Most TOs for Vintage tournaments won't let you use proxys that aren't actual Magic cards. I recommend erasing art and/or text and making your own proxy. If you take your time and do a decent job, it will most likely be a better proxy than most people have.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I checked it and the Western Union site is the actual one, but they are a tad outdated on their security certificate. Nothing weird there.

I understand the Paypal thing since there is a scam you can do with credit cards and Paypal. I'm not going to go into it as I sell a ton of stuff online and really despise the trick, but it does exist. It's quite hard to avoid unless you just turn off the ability to take credit cards completely from paypal.

I might give it a shot as I wouldn't mind a nice proxy of an Underground Sea for my EDH decks and I can afford to lose $18 if he's not legit. I'll let you know later if you like by posting in this thread. Not to mention, I am damned good at getting my money back if scammed.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I might give it a shot as I wouldn't mind a nice proxy of an Underground Sea for my EDH decks and I can afford to lose $18 if he's not legit. I'll let you know later if you like by posting in this thread. Not to mention, I am damned good at getting my money back if scammed.

I would appceriate that. Thanks.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

I have a bunch of P9 proxies (laser printed onto Magic card stock) from Jander78 back in the day. They're around here somewhere, lmk which ones you're looking for, what you think they'd be worth & I'll look for exactly which ones I have. Maybe we can both benefit from this :)
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a proxy, if you have to pay for it?

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Well, it's nice to have a good looking proxy of a Twister or Drain without dishing out the bucks to decide if you really even want to play the deck using them. For people who play in proxy tournaments on a regular basis, it's nice to have good looking ones instead of swamps with marker on them for 10 cards. It's understandable, though some are debatable considering the price, but people will pay if they like what they see well enough.

Considering even a CE version is stupid money now, it's the only real good alternative if you're not an artist and just don't like markered up basics.

Jan 2007
    Milwaukee, WI, USA

A CE Twister is what, $30-40? Is that really "stupid money"?

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Who actually plays with Timetwisters?

Black Lotus CE ≈ $170
    Ancestral Recall CE ≈ $48.50
    Time Walk CE ≈ $54.50
    Mox Sapphire CE ≈ $48.50
    Mox Jet CE ≈ $42.50
    Mox Ruby CE ≈ $47.00
    Mox Emerald CE ≈ $43.50
    Mox Pearl CE ≈ $44.00
    Timetwister CE ≈ $30.50

So lets say I'm playing a deck that is blue, and runs recall, walk, lotus and sapphire, and that's it. CE cards would cost me $321.50.

I'd call that stupid money, sure.

Also, you need to clip the corners of a CE card to use it in a tourney as a proxy, which lowers the value.
    DraftMagic.com - The best draft caps by the worst drafters on the net.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last Day

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gunslinga View Post
    A CE Twister is what, $30-40? Is that really "stupid money"?

Heh, well if you only plan to use it as a proxy, then spending $30 when you could have spent $18 on virtually the same thing is pretty stupid, you have to admit. I prefer mountains myself, unless it's for EDH. Then I might want a decent one if I can't snag an extra from my playstock so to me the prices on all those CE cards seemed nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckpixel View Post
    Who actually plays with Timetwisters?
    TPS and other Tendrils decks, some Oath decks.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Quote Originally Posted by denial View Post
    TPS and other Tendrils decks, some Oath decks.
    I guess my point was, he chose the least used P9 card to use an example about how inexpensive CE cards are. Which isn't an accurate representation of what they actually cost.

Nov 2019
    singapore

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    I want to get a hold of nice looking proxies for some expensive Vintage decks that I want to create. Namely, Power 9 and other 100+ dollar cards that I don't feel like dropping thousands of dollars on. There is a local card shop that holds 15-proxy limit vintage tournaments. I obviously won't be using these proxies in any real DCI sanctioned tournaments, but I still wanna play with Power (and it would be fun to crush people in causal once in a blue moon). I saw this site, however I was a bit nervous that one of the payment options he was encouraging was through Western Union as I have heard bad things about WU.

Are there any good sites that I can order well drawn proxies of expensive cards like Mana Drain and such?

Any advice is more than welcome.
    i've got some decent ones from this site

Thread Information