Thread: Emrakul + Stifle

Magic Player Decapitator
    Nov 2009

Emrakul + Stifle

I was playing this dude on MWS and he tried to Stifle my Annihilator effect to Emrakul. I told him that Emrakul had protection from spells and he said he was only targeting the ability. Then I told him the annihilator effect wasnt an activated or triggered ability, that it was like trying to Stifle a creature with Flying. Well, my question is, can Stifle do anything at all to Emrakul?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Buying duals for 30 a piece is certainly smart. Buying 4 Eureka (a terrible card) is not. :/

Knowing what to buy is just as impo as knowing when to buy.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Re: Emrakul + Stifle

Emrakul has three triggered abilities, all are legal targets for stifle.

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn can't be countered.
    When you cast Emrakul, take an extra turn after this one. <-- this
    Flying, protection from colored spells,
    annihilator 6 <-- this
    When Emrakul is put into a graveyard from anywhere, its owner shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library. <-- this

For reference, Annihilator X means: Annilihator X (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices X permanents.)

Your opponent is correct and you were wrong. Stifle targets the ability, not the creature, so Emrakul's protection ability is not relevant.

I'm not really sure what the question is, if you're asking how to tell what a triggered/activated ability is? In short, a triggered ability will say when or whenever. An activated ability will have a cost and a colon. It's not written out on Emrakul because it's assumed you know what Annihilator means (keyword ability).

Timmy-Spike-Melvin . . . . . Level 2 Judge

Dec 2009
    Vienna, Austria

I have to add:

A triggered ability is everything that starts with "Whenever", "When" or _"At"_
    An activated ability is everything with a " : "

As long as it's no mana ability, you can counter it with Stifle. Since you counter the ability, Emrakul's protection does not work.

You have to check the meaning of the Keyword, to see wether it represents a trigegred ability, such as annihilator.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Emrakul has protection from colored spells. Its annihilator ability does not have protection from colored spells. Therefore, you can target the annihilator ability with stifle. There was another thread recently about stifle if that helps.

Jan 2011
    AZ

Helloo i'm new here.. But am fed up with the 3 or more times I've lost my brother and friend with their annihilator decks(almost exact same).
    Since I know this nice little information, I was curious. Does stifle just cancel annihilator or would it counter Emrakul all together?

Jul 2009
    NRW, GER

Quote Originally Posted by Crazeegamer View Post
    Helloo i'm new here.. But am fed up with the 3 or more times I've lost my brother and friend with their annihilator decks(almost exact same).
    Since I know this nice little information, I was curious. Does stifle just cancel annihilator or would it counter Emrakul all together?
    Stifle only counters "target activated or triggered ability", therefore it will only counter the Annihilator trigger while it is on the stack. Your btothers will still have a 15/15 flying monster bashing your face, but you could still block it. Nonetheless, when heŽll be attacking the next turn, Annihilator will still trigger again...

Jan 2011
    AZ

Well that's helpful at least. Save 6 of my creature for a turn. I showed my friends the card and they say hes a cheesy bastard anyways so..

Thanks.
    Last edited by cdr; 01-08-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Please use proper grammar/capitalization/punctuation when posting.

Thread Information