Thread: Recommend me a deck

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Recommend me a deck

Okay folks, here's the deal:
    Originally, I planned to get the cards I need for Bant Survival, however, I grew... unsure whether that deck might be the correct choice for me.
    Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy the deck. But there's that latent feeling of unsecurity when I'm playing it... could this be because I pretty much always play combo decks and Bant Survival is totally different?

I have assembled ANT, Mono Red Goblins (minus Ports+Wastelands) and Dredge and I enjoy my decks, however, I figured I'd need something to bring some fresh wind in again.
    I value consistency, Belcher is not the kind of deck I'd play.
    I'm comfortable playing both Aggro and Control and I can wrap my head around many decks.
    I dislike being like 10-90 against a certain archetype and I like flexibility.
    Playing is the main point of Magic for me, winning is a bonus - however I dislike underpowered decks and am pretty Spike-ish when it comes to deckchoices.

Anyone has a suggestion for me?
    Do you think I should stick with my plan of assembling Bant Survival?

PS: My budget is approx 900€, but this should cover pretty much everything barring something ridiculous like Lands.de...

OVER 9000
    Aug 2008
    Michigan

Re: Recommend me a deck

New Horizons is a very good and consistant deck that is both agro and control...more control though.
    Here is a list that just performed very well at SCG Phili this weekend
    This is just 1 decklist, this deck is VERY, i mean Very customisable. Some play CB/top. Some that i saw in this thread http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ead.php?15244-[Deck]-New-Horizons do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Also if you dont like it, it will give you the mana and card base of like 70% of decks outs there anyways.

Artifacts
    2 Engineered Explosives

Creatures
    4 Knight Of The Reliquary
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Terravore

Instants
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force Of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Swords To Plowshares

Sorceries
    4 Ponder

Basic Lands
    1 Forest

Lands
    4 Horizon Canopy
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard:
    2 Crucible Of Worlds
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Rhox War Monk
    4 Krosan Grip
    1 Life From The Loam
    Made day 2 in GP columbus

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

I think you should stick to Survival plan. I might be a little biased because I've played Survival in many forms for years and the Bant variant is a lot of fun. How much of the deck do you have already? With your budget you shouldn't have a problem building a deck.
    Also, the cards in the deck will give you a good base for other decks as well.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    I think you should stick to Survival plan. I might be a little biased because I've played Survival in many forms for years and the Bant variant is a lot of fun. How much of the deck do you have already? With your budget you shouldn't have a problem building a deck.
    Also, the cards in the deck will give you a good base for other decks as well.
    I have 1 Goyf, 3 Rainforest, 1 Tundra, 1 Vendilion Clique, 4 Brainstorm and 1 Squee, so I don't really have the expensive cards yet.

The fact that the cards in the deck are mostly staples makes me like the deck even more, because I could possibly also go for CounterTop or something else like the deck jakolhops suggested, New Horizons.

Thanks for the input you 2, maybe some other people have to add something else to the list of possible decks.

Not a Member
    Jul 2006
    Germany

I would recommend Bant Aggro at first. You get all the cards which are needed for Decks like New Horizonts, CounterTop and Bant Survival and basically play the straight route to victory (beatdown) first. In contrast to Balance or Survival decks you can easily play with a manabase of 2 Trops/2 Tundra (maybe one Savannah) and 8-9 fetchlands and more basics as you don't need to hit UU or lots of G quickly. Depending how you like the deck and how your meta is you can then switch to Survival or Balance or Tempo without having useless cards.

Another route would be GW Survival. A strong and fun deck and due to 2 colors a bit less expensive than the other decks. Although Retainers/iona is in pretty much every list you can play without it and still have a strong deck, Most people don't see that a Survival wins you the game anyways, with ot without Iona. Here is a sample list.
    TS Crew

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I'm obviously biased, but anyway... :)

I say, stick with your plan (SURPRISE). I mean, what you describe as wanting in a deck fits Bant Survival pretty well. Consistency, No bad matchups, and it's fun. It is one of the most rewarding decks if played and metagamed correctly since it is so customizable and each decision is crucial. Its powerful engine keeps it from straight up losing to anything and in a blue shell it makes it incredible consistent and durable.

I think the comfort issues can be worked through by just playing with it more. You want something different from what you have so something like aggro-control would be refreshing. New Horizons is also really good too and fits what you want so that's also a good option. It is nice that the decks are somewhat close that you can easily build one after the other.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009

Haha, okay guys, thank you for your help, I just ordered my playset SotF. Looks like I play Bant Survival now.

Thanks to everyone!

Thread Information