Thread: [SCD] Liliana's Specter

[SCD] Liliana's Specter

If you've never heard of this card, no shame. It was revealed in the M11 Spoiled on MTGsalvation days ago.

Link to card

Liliana's Specter

Creature - Specter Flying
    When Liliana's Specter enters the battlefield, each opponent discards a card."The finest minions know what I need without me ever saying a thing."
    -Liliana Vess
    Illus. Vance Kovacs #104/2492/1

At one point in time, Ravenous Rats was considered a worthwhile card. Why? Because it was the epitome of card advantage. Your opponent discards a card, and you gain a card in play. Net 1 card. The reason no one plays Ravenous Rats today is because 1) the discard effect was not random, your opponent chooses what card they discard; and 2) what you get into play is a 1/1 - which in this format is merely a single turn chump blocker.

Enter Liliana's Specter. Of the two problems associated with Ravenous Rats, only one remains. Your opponent still has the choice of which card to discard. But instead of a worthless 1/1, for an extra black mana, you have a 2/1 flyer. In mono-black decks, this "might" be all the difference this card needs to be playable.

A form of evasion and 2 power moves this card from an unplayable chump blocking ravenous rats, to a something worth consideration. In the current environment, black dominates the skies. Tombstalker, Nighthawk, Hyppie, and Bitterblossom leave black relatively unchallenged in the air. Likewise, once Liliana's Specter is in play, there should be little problem connecting with the opponent.

Now Liliana's Specter is by no means the first consideration when creating a mono-black aggro deck. It's decidedly a last consideration. There are many cards which are strictly better, but the tendency of mono-black decks is to always have 2-3 extra slots which are excellent candidates to be filled by one more creature. Liliana's Specter is a good bet. It's hard to go wrong with card advantage and an evading damage dealer.

And a last note, this is a common! If you're on budget, why not!

Re: [SCD] Liliana's Specter

However, aren't black decks usually rather clumped at the three-and-above-slot? For creatures alone there's Hyppie, and then there's Vampire Nighthawk, Gatekeeper of Malakir (and Tombstalker), of which you want some or all. Furthermore, the three-slot is quite inconvenient, as 3+cc spells come out rather late in the game (unless you Ritual them out, but there's no guarantee you'd get them and a Ritual..)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 0-79-1
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Hi,
    My name's Hypnotic Specter. I would like to speak to you in private before you continue to find a replacement for me.

Signed, One of the Best Things you can do off a turn 1 dark rit besides combo.
    Hyppie
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

So, for the exact same mana cost, you get a card that's...worse than Hypnotic Specter in basically every scenario?

I think you're trying a little to hard to make this card seem even remotely close to being almost playable if you're desperate and/or playing an all-commons deck.

Perhaps I'm optimistic. And perhaps some misread my post. I never suggested that Liliana's Specter should be substituted for Hyppie. I don't think an argument could be made that it's superior in any light. I do think an argument could be made that Liliana's Specter could be run in conjunction with Hyppie.

@Hummingbird - I'm in agreement that mono-black aggro is overtly congested at the 3cc slot. What I wouldn't give for another great 2 drop outside of Confidant, and Bitterblossom (not sure I count Nantuko Shade as a 2 drop any more...)

The similarity of effect between this card and Gatekeeper of Malakir might be an interesting comparison. Both provide card advantage, while tossing a body into play. Gatekeeper has the benefit of affecting the board state, but is also limited in that aspect as well. Now in my opinion, I'd still take Gatekeeper of Liliana's Specter, but I could be easily swayed dependent on the make-up of the remainder of the deck.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Seems great after a turn 2 Liliana's Caress. Unless 8 Megrim effects combined with stuff like Wistful Thinking makes discard a viable archetype in Legacy (very doubtful), this card will see no play in serious tournaments.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

This card is pretty bad. Hypnotic Specter doesn't really see much play anymore so its a much better budget choice.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

This guy isn't that bad actually. If a hypnotic goes flying into removal, it's only a 1 for 1. This guy gives you card advantage as soon as he shows up, and the 2 flying damage is something for the opponent to worry about. It's definitely an upgrade from ravenous rats, which is already one of my favorite black weenies. Anyway, non random discard seems bad, but it really isn't. If you're using sinkhole, then discarding land seems like a bad move by the opponent. Also, in combination with other discard spells, it helps you reach a critical mass where your opponent will be forced to discard quality cards. In certain builds, this guy might just earn the last slot in a deck, sometimes.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

It should be noted that when you rit into anything your opponent thinks you're dropping a Hippie or Seize-Hymn. They probably won't counter him, and he does carry a Jitte. And when your opponent bolts him your disadvantage for landing him is nullified. Most people forget that Rit-Hippie isn't played anymore because it's an almost guaranteed 2-fer-1 against Zoo, negates the disadvantage of Force, and loses to Daze on the draw. And Bolt, Swords, Force, and Daze are probably the most common cards in the format outside of basic islands.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Nov 2006
    London

Great in limited. Next?

Thread Information