Thread: Storming to Fourth Place - NLTES at Lotus Event

Storming to Fourth Place - NLTES at Lotus Event

I would like to start off by saying Iím a hypocrite.

Two weeks ago I was playing in a local with a more traditional TES list I lost two closes matches because I was at 10-14 with a resolved Ad Nauseam and couldnít get there because Iíd flip Simian Spirit Guide or Ill-Gotten Gains or just something awful. I was really frustrated went home and laid my deck out and starred at it. I was thinking do you know what sucks to draw? Ill-Gotten Gains. Letís make it Empty the Warrens, itís never a dead draw versus blue. Now, to solve the problem of taking too much damage, I cut Simian Spirit Guide and wanted to add lands. However, I didnít want to add five color lands since there arenít any other good ones. I added two Fetchlands, they seemed alright. The more I played with them, the more I liked seeing them. Because of this I decided to cut two City of Brass for two more fetchlands.

With all of these new additions I needed to make a few changes maindeck. The fourth Duress over Chant seemed obvious since the ability to make white mana or green is now less. This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - itís been real. Peace. With four Duress maindeck I needed a wishable Duress effect, hello Thoughtsieze.

NLTES
    Decklist as of 6/12/10

4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lionís Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Infernal Tutor
    3 Orimís Chant
    4 Duress
    2 Mystical Tutor
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony

1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Thoughtsieze
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Wipeaway
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Deathmark
    2 Shattering Spree
    2 Pyroblast

Round One: Blue-White Scepter control

Game One: I mulligan to five and keep a hand of Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Gemstone Mine, Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal. I say land, go. He plays land,go. I draw Empty the Warrens, play Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Petal, Dark Ritual (He Forces), Empty the Warrens. He scoops.

Sideboarding: -2 Mystical Tutor, +2 Pyroblast

Game Two: I mulligan to six, I donít remember my hand. But it was a bunch of cantrips. The game gets down to I Duress him and he has 2 Scepters, Wrath, and counterspell. I take counterspell. Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish, Grapeshot, Tendrils of Agony.

1-0
    2-0

Round Two: Jace Control

Game One: I keep a hand of Lionís Eye Diamond, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Empty the Warrens, Underground Sea, Orimís Chant. I play Underground Sea, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Lionís Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Empty the Warrens. He Forces a copy. He plays Tropical go. I swing 8. Pass. He plays fetchland, brainstorm, Swords a token, go. I swing. Upkeep Chant. Game two.

Game Two: We both Mulligan. I play Scalding Tarn, go. My hand is now, Duress, Pyroblast, Infernal Tutor, Gemstone Mine, Lionís Eye Diamond. He land, goes. I play Duress, he Brainstorms, I Pyroblast. I leave him with Jace, Swords, Red Elemental Blast. We play draw go for 3-4 turns. He keeps fate sealing me. I Chant him, he Forces. I play all in on Tutor for Ad Nauseam. It resolves. I draw a bunch of cards, play a bunch of cards Grapeshot him for 26.

2-0
    4-0

Round Three: Zoo

Game One: I keep an opening hand of Scalding Tarn, Lotus Petal, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Infernal Tutor, Gemstone Mine, and Ponder. He plays white Savannah Lion. I draw Brainstorm. I play Tarn, get Sea, Lotus Petal, Infernal for LED x 2. Pass. He plays land, swing, go. Leaving two red open. I draw Dark Ritual, Ponder, shuffle draw Ponder, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal tutor for Burning Wish, Ill-Gotten Gains (Black mana floating), get back Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond and Infernal Tutor. Play them. Get Tendrils.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, -1 Brainstorm, -1 Ponder, +1 Wipeaway, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Deathmark

Game Two: I keep a questionable hand, I hate to mulligan. Judge me. Chrome Mox, Wipe Away, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Ponder, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame. I draw a Burning Wish. Play Mox, Ponder into garbage, shuffle, draw into Orimís Chant. The Zoo player kicks my teeth in until Iím at 8 life, plays a goyf (Leaving a red open) and passesÖ By this time I have one land and canít do anything. On my last possible turn to live I draw Lionís Eye Diamond. I get all giddy and lay my land downÖ Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame x3, Lionís Eye Diamond. Infernal Tutor for Burning Wish, Wish for Ill-Gotten Gains. Cast it. Play Rite of Flame, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish, Tendrils of Agony.

3-0
    6-0

Round Four: WBG Pox

Game One: I Mulligan. I keep a great hand versus blue, which I think heís playing. Chant, Duress, Gemstone Mine, City of Brass, Scalding Tarn, Tendrils. He opens with first turn Ritual, Thoughtsieze, Hymn. Fuck me. He then passes. Wastes my land, Ritual, Hymn. Fuck this.

Game Two: I keep a one lander with a turn two possibility if I hit a second land off ponder. I donít hit a second land and he wastes my land. Good game.

3-1
    6-2

Round Five: TES

Game One: We both play some Cantrips, I have Chant, Lionís Eye Diamond x 2, Duress, Infernal Tutor, Brainstorm and two land in play. He Chants me. I chant back in response. He has a Badlands untapped. I draw a land. Duress him. He has Silence. I go all in on his badlands since it doesnít tap for white. Ad Nauseam.

Game Two: I mulligan to five and keep Chant, Gemstone, Brainstorm, Infernal, Rite of Flame. He goes all inÖ Hope he likes faceplants. Orimís Chant. He has nothing. I rebuild. He got a Silence off of his Infernal. I draw Duress and Duress it out. We play draw go for 5 turns. I duress him again, and Infernal for Ad Nauseam.

4-1
    8-2

Round Six: TES/ANT Hybrid

Game One: Heís a friend of mine, we talk about Storm combo a lot. This is shitty. He goes all in on turn one, I have a Chant, he getís hurt. I win shortly after.

Game Two: He mulliganís to six. Keeps a badlands hand. I keep, Duress, Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Scalding Tarn, Scalding Tarn, Infernal Tutor, Rite of Flame. He Duressís me. Takeís Tutor. I Duress him take his. He has blue cantrips and Rituals left. He draws passes. I draw Burning Wish. Pass. Draw, go. I draw Dark Ritual. I play Ritual, Ritual, Rite of Flame, Lionís Eye Diamond, Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor, Ad Nauseam.

5-1
    10-2

Round Seven: Surviving Bant

5-1-1
    10-2-1

Top 8: UWB Toolbox Control

Game One: I lead with a couple early Duress. We play draw go. I eventually end up with four land in play with Chant, Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Ad Nauseam in hand. Thinking Iíll Chant him end step, heíll counter, Iíll Ad Nauseam, heíll counter. Untap, win. I Chant, it resolves. Ritual, Nauseam, draw 15 cards. Untap. Win.

Sideboarding: -2 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder, -1 Brainstorm, -1 Empty the Warrens, +2 Pyroblast, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Krosan Grip, +1 Wipeaway

Game Two: He lands down a bunch of hate cards like Counterbalance and Top, some others. Beats me down slowly.

Game Three: Probably my favorite game in a very long time. I was shaking the entire time I was so nervous. I open with Duress. He in response casts enlightened tutor for Nullrod. Fuck. I take Spell Pierce, leaving him with Spell Snare, Jace, Swords, and lands. I look at my handÖ. Chant, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Lionís Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor. WHY THE FUCK DID I BOARD OUT EMPTY THE WARRENS! I was really pissed at my self. Go. Nullrod. We play draw go. I draw until I have three land, I draw Rite of Flame, Duress, and Ad Nauseam over this time Period. I play Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame. He Spell Pierces. I pay tapping a land, Dark Ritual, Duress. Spell Pierce. Ad Nauseam? Resolves. WOAH! I reveal literally 25 cards. Rite of Flame, Burning Wish for Spattering Spree, kill Nullrod with Pyroblast back-up. Lay out 10 artifacts, showboat for awhile, Grapeshot for 32.

6-1-1
    12-3-1

Top 4: Surviving Bant

Game One: I keep a hand with a bunch of Cantrips, Fetchlands, Burning Wish, and Rituals. He plays a Meddling Mage naming of course, Burning Wish. I Brainstorm into one. Fetch them away. Ponder, shuffle, draw Burning Wish, Iím stuck with lands, Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor, Chant in my hand and canít get Hellbent when he has no cards in hand.

Sideboarding: -2 Chrome Mox, -2 Ponder, -1 Brainstorm, -2 Mysical Tutor, +2 Pyroblast, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Krosan Grip, +1 Wipeaway, +1 Deathmark, +1 Shattering Spree.

Game Two: I decide Iím going to run my head into a wall. Land, Ritual, Infernal Tutor, reveal Lionís Eye Diamond, Lionís Eye Diamond x 2, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor? Resolves. Ad Nauseam.

Game Three: I Duress him and see nothing. My hand is awful. He rips survival and plays it. I have to go off before he drops Gaddeck Teeg. Iím a mana short of Tutoring for Ad Nauseam and winning. I get Empty the Warrens for 12. He getís Rhox War Monk, next turn Rafiq. Good Game.

6-2-1
    13-5-1

All in all, a good event, I ended up with 4 Underground Sea and 4 Force of Will. Sold the Seas so I can buy Japanese Foil Scalding Tarns.

Props:
    -Scalding Tarn, I like the way you shuffle.
    -Arnold Palmer, I like you.
    -Taco Bell two dollar meals.
    -Jace, it's about time dude.

Slops:
    -Losing my voice.
    -The Mirror twice.
    -Playing friends.
    -Badlands.
    -Force of Will.
    -Gaddeck Teeg.
    -Counterbalance.
    -Scalding Tarn, you're not japanese foil.
    -Simian Spirit Guide, You fucked me.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Re: Storming to Fourth Place - NLTES at Lotus Event

Nice report sir. I like your updated list a lot. I do have a question though. Why the redundant hate in the board? It seems like you have more BW targets than necessary for dealing with hatebears. I've been testing on and off an SI variant that plays BW into various D7's, after Breathweapon highlighted how god dam broken they are. Diminishing Returns is more of an 'oh shit' button than an engine but both Balance of Power and Recurring Insight have been phenomenal off of a BW/LED.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Thanks. This is more of a discussion for the thread. But... I've tested recurring insight, I even bought a jap foil one thinking it'd be good. It's not. I never had two mana I didn't care about to throw into insight over Returns. If I had one more I could just get Infernal for Nauseam.

Redundant bear hate? It's necessary to win in today's metagame.

Brad Herbig

Nice job. Are all the times you play Grapeshot just showboating?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Herbig View Post
    Nice job. Are all the times you play Grapeshot just showboating?
    After round one, yes.

Brad Herbig

Nice. It is quite fun.

I've been playing a couple fetches for a little while now, but I do like the extra shuffle effects of 4 fetches. It always annoys me when I can't turn my Brainstorms into recalls.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Lol.
    I know such a day would have come.
    Fetchlands in TES.
    You finally realized that they were good, Bryant. We were all waiting for you.

Still, cut 1 of those fucking Chrome Mox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Still, cut 1 of those fucking Chrome Mox.
    LOL, I know right? So many times when I've gotten maybe just one Chrome Mox too many.

Anyhow, congrats on the finish Bryant, I'm really tempted to take this list for a spin, looks sleeker, sexier.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

What makes me cringe at looking at that list is noticing you play a shitty mana base just to play 3 cards (4 counting Grip). Is Chant so good that it's better than Seize + Fetch/Dual mana base?

Other than that, congrats, you're the only one that can do it,

Nov 2009
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    you're the only one that can do it,
    The only one that could play such a terrible list. Have fun sitting out the next 6 tournaments =P (I love you)

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    What makes me cringe at looking at that list is noticing you play a shitty mana base just to play 3 cards (4 counting Grip). Is Chant so good that it's better than Seize + Fetch/Dual mana base?

Other than that, congrats, you're the only one that can do it,
    Yes.

My manabase isn't that far off of what T.Kowlowith top 8'd Chicago with. I just think badlands is terrible and would rather play cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Yes.

My manabase isn't that far off of what T.Kowlowith top 8'd Chicago with. I just think badlands is terrible and would rather play cities.
    Yes badlands just sucks when all you want is a blue mana source. Anyways nice job Bryant I alway like playing vs you.

Trying to trade into power!!!
    Hit me up if you have any unlimited power that isn't creased. Maybe we can make a deal.

Thread Information