4 [DD2] Daze

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [CFX] Path to Exile
    SB: 1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    SB: 3 [ARB] Meddling Mage
    SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
    SB: 3 [CH] Tormod's Crypt

33 players showed, so we have 6 rounds with a cut to Top 8. Time Walk for first, Moat for 2nd, 2x revised duals for 3rd/4th, packs across top 16. Going off memory, so no in-depth notes or such.

Round 1: Merfolk
    Game 1: Knight and Goyf go the distance with Swords picking off some things along the way.
    Boarded in Path to Exile for extra removal.
    Game 2: Same as game 1, except double Knight.
    1-0-0 (2-0)

Round 2: Belcher
    Game 1: All manner of counterspell action keeps him from going off, eventually finish him with a Knight.
    Boarded in Meddling Mages and Spell Pierces.
    Game 2: Same as game 1, except I stop off his Burning Wish attempt with Force after he cracks LED. Meddling Mages all show up naming Wish, Belcher, and Empty.
    2-0-0 (4-0)

Round 3: Reanimator
    Game 1: I keep a double Wasteland hand on the strength of double Force, Ponder, Brainstorm and Stifle hoping for an early blue source. Unfortunately, I was on the play and it goes nowhere.
    Board in Crypts, Mages, Bog, Pierces.
    Game 2: Turn 1 Crypt, Meddling Mage on an enabler in the first few turns, followed by a Knight to keep Bog on standby.
    Game 3: Much like game 2.
    3-0-0 (6-1)

Round 4: Natural Order Bant
    Game 1: The board settles down clearly, but his digging finds him answers sooner and he takes it.
    Boarded in Paths (maybe Spell Pierce too)
    Game 2: Similar to game 1, except I finally get some pressure out. He gets an Elspeth to stall out the board for a while but I find a second Goyf and draw some removal for his token for the win.
    Game 3: He gets lots of gas, I cannot match it, he takes me down.
    3-1-0 (7-3)

Round 5: New Horizons mirror match
    Game 1: This was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. I keep a 3 land, 3 Knight, and Daze hand. All three Knights eat counterspells or Swords. I draw into counterspells and Swords for his things. We spend lots of turns digging only to repeat. A Terravore finally goes the distance for me.
    Boarded in Path to Exile (maybe Spell Pierce too)
    Game 2: I get 6 threats, to his one. Timely disruption of his boarded Loams keeps him off balance until I take the game.
    4-1-0 (9-3)

Round 6: Reanimator
    We ID into T8 seeing as we're 3rd and 4th in standings.
    4-1-1

Quarterfinals: Reanimator (same guy as round 6)
    Game 1: He gets an excellent start and pushes through a turn 2 or 3 Iona, so I scoop.
    Boarded in Crypts, Mages, Bog, Pierces.
    Game 2: I get Meddling Mage set up and eventually a Knight to get Bog on standby. He scoops after a bit.
    Game 3: I keep a godawful hand that I should have sent back, but it manages to go the distance when he misplays an Entomb at sorcery speed and I play Bog on my turn 1 to clear it out. He doesn't see any more gas.

Semifinals: CounterTop Bant
    Game 1: I can't tempo him out, he eventually sets up an excellent CounterTop lock and takes it.
    Boarded in Paths and Grips.
    Game 2: We trade some creatures and removal, I beat him down to 3 but then he recovers and grinds out a win.

I finished 3rd or 4th, not sure what the final standings are. I left after my semis loss.

Lion
    May 2009
    Bethlehem, PA

Re: 3rd/4th place at Face a Face Legacy for Power

I hope you didn't leave before getting your prize, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Strangest convenience store I've yet seen: Kum & Go (somewhere in Nebraska). I remember thinking: "Huh, a drive-through bordello. Clever."

Re: 3rd/4th place at Face a Face Legacy for Power

Nah, I got a revised Savannah and Badlands for my troubles.

Thread Information