Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Least fun deck to play against?

Mar 2007
    Montreal, Qc

Re: Least fun deck to play against?

I hate burn.

I can manage to play against and watch ANT, Dredge, Belcher, and CounterTop because they are all skill intensive and tier in their own rights. I can probably tolerate burn decks more than ELVES COMBO!!!!

For the love of Christ, enough with tapping those little green creatures already! That's right replicate a gazillion tokens, yeah that's uber cool!

XIII
    Jun 2009
    Germany

Belcher. I wanna play Magic, not gamble.

That aside most decks have some unfun Matchups, genereally the ones with few interactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    Well you can expect whatever you want but you'd only expect what you said if you were retarded.

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

I like control and original decks. Aggro isn't too bad either.
    Playing combo is a bit lame though.

Counterbalance, Aggroloam, Ichorid g1, Enchantress, Quinn

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Landstill. I mean, I love playing against it in tournaments because my record is literally something like 18-3 with combo (all kinds of lists) but I just cant stand watching that boring ass deck play. I think playing against Belcher is more like playing Magic than playing against Landstill, because at least Belcher plays THEIR deck, this pile of shit just reacts to everything and has no unique plan of its own, just counter and stall, attack with lands ... how fucking mindless and robotic. You can usually tell the kinds of people who play it as well, they are people who are quite unoriginal and content with mediocrity. I just can't even begin to understand what kind of idiot doesn't even want to play their deck and only react to their opponents spells it just so damn boring and lacks anything that even resembles entertainment. I also have never seen a pilot play this who looked even remotely happy to be playing the deck. To each their own I guess but I will always despise this deck. I love playing against it because I rarely lose but, it just takes so fucking long (someone ALWAYS goes to time at least once), and has the most unoriginal gameplan in Magic. At least Burn is slightly exciting to play, especially when ur about to enter topdeck mode against fast aggro. You are actually playing your deck, which is really all that matter to me in Magic. I could give a fuck less what my opponent wants to do, I just want to play a bunch of spells and cast Tendrils :)
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    I hate burn.
    QFT. I loathe playing against burn with the passion of a thousand firey suns. It's not uncommon to have eight cards in my sideboard that come in against burn if it's even a mildly troubling match up. I have burn BUILT so I can test against it. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoCk0nd0pe View Post
    I hate to play against zoo, annoying broken creatures that can win with the dumpest pilot alive. It represents the wrong direction magic is going since they changed the new card design.
    Agreed! Legacy's version of Fires. Sadly it'll probably remain forever viable now.

Lands and dredge is also there, but not because I hate playing against it as I find the matches quite interesting with alot of interaction and mindgames, but because it just doesn't feel like Magic as it was intended... Yay for clever designers being "too clever". Meh.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    I hate burn.
    I think even the Burn players hate Burn. Because they are playing it and it sucks. :P
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Zoo, because you know exactly what is going to happen theres rarely ever a tricky draw or real choices they just smash with dudes and burn your face. I always hate playing against creature decks where disruption is classified as "Burn your head", and at least to me, goyf is far more broken than mystical tutor.

One I would be most afraid to face post banning however would be something like lands or UWb Landstill, lands just gained a ton of power by ANT dieing, and entomb going the way of dredge, and landstill no longer has to spend 4-7 board cards to make the combo matchup 50/50
    I c h o r i d - my anti blue
    Manaless Ichorid- At least its cheeper than standard.
    We admit for the sake of the exercise that following is true:
    Landstill > Fromat
    Non-Basic Hate > Landstill
    Basics > Non-Basic Hate
    We can therefore logically conlude that
    Basics > Format

Dec 2006
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    I think even the Burn players hate Burn. Because they are playing it and it sucks. :P
    I migrate my Didgeridoo.deck to Burn after Fireblast was printed, and win a lot of tournaments :D

Burn is a combo deck, you need to connect 6-7 spells before your opponent kill you. xD

My vote goes to... Any Prison deck. Stasis, Stax, etc... If they don't let you to play is not fun.

Enchantress is no fun to play with, i mean confinement is just nuts!

Luck sack

May 2008
    Chicago

Stax- turn 1 trinisphere is not playing magic anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Public Service Announcement: To anyone considering taking a Burn deck to a tournament, let me tell you about this card they printed in Coldsnap. It’s called “Counterbalance” and the art looks fantastic in foil.

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Anything lockdown or stall-control. Stax, Landstill, Counterbalance, Stasis, etc. I've played against Winter Orb + Relic Barrier.

I don't mind combo at all, even when im not playing it. As long as it's not lockdown combo. We don't pay thirty or so dollars to twiddle our thumbs while you twiddle your thumbs and then we go to time 30 seconds into game two so you can win the match 1-0. At least with ANT, Belcher, even Painter-Stone the match maybe lasts twenty minutes.

I played ANT against Belcher once. 5 turns was our entire match. Quick rounds are good. 45 minute game ones are not.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

This thread is a bit old, but I was inspired to post again after reading coverage of the round 9 feature match at SCG DC.

I've never played against Enchantress before, but after reading excerpts of the mirror match, I hope I never do: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...l_Pozsgay.html

Some of the highlights of the match:

The first game would be an awkward dance, with both players packing a ton of dead cards, but the sideboarded games would change considerably.
    “Is it possible that we just draw game 1?” Paul wondered, and Mike nodded. “Yep.”
    Now, pretty much neither player could win, but they could be decked; with the Halo in play, once the Angels were all dead the Words of War could no longer be activated, as neither player was a legal target. Then it would be whoever could maintain a Solitary Confinement the longest in order to avoid being decked, unless one player had access to some piece of removal that the other did not. Basically, whoever ran out of cards actually would die, and Paul had the smaller library.
    Paul drew, discarded, and passed the turn. Mike would lose his own Confinement after killing the remaining Angels, but that was irrelevant. He had plenty of cards left in his library, and he sent the final turn to Paul. Paul had just enough cards to force a draw on time, but would certainly have lost if the game had continued two more turns. Rather than draw them both out of Top 8, he conceded to Mike.

Currently possessed
    Mar 2008
    Rosemont, IL

Not much really comes to mind, but perhaps maybe decks packing Smokestacks and Trinispheres. Or playing against a control deck that I am unable to resolve or find anything to take care of a resolved Jace 2. As him/her just sitting there building up the ultimate. That and I simply dislike it when people has half their sideboard devoted against mine.
    Always looking for more people to play in the Chicago area. Anyone interested send me a PM.

Dec 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden

Decks that trick you into having a chance while you actually don't, and win slowly. The one I hate the most is Enchantress, but Lands and to some extent Stax and CB+Top can fall into this category and create that game state. These are the type of decks that when you are an inch from winning play something that prevents you from doing that, but if you just could find your answer you would be ok. And then you find your answer, but while digging for it they played something else that keeps you from winning. But that's ok, if you just find the answer and then you find it and... so it goes. I hate that so much.

Dec 2007
    Milan, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Eksem View Post
    Decks that trick you into having a chance while you actually don't, and win slowly. The one I hate the most is Enchantress, but Lands and to some extent Stax and CB+Top can fall into this category and create that game state. These are the type of decks that when you are an inch from winning play something that prevents you from doing that, but if you just could find your answer you would be ok. And then you find your answer, but while digging for it they played something else that keeps you from winning. But that's ok, if you just find the answer and then you find it and... so it goes. I hate that so much.
    You made Enchantress and CounterTop sound like a malignant cancer.

Anyway, I'd say it depends on the deck you're playing. Though Stax wins the first prize for the most annyoing artifacts ever printed put in a single deck.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Basically any deck, which does not interact with you (except if you have FoW):

Dredge (most boring deck to play against)
    Burn
    Belcher

Prison and Lands are still ok because there is at least some combat going on and you can play more than 4 rounds. Although, if you know you can't win from the beginning on, it is boring, too.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Any deck that wins after resolving a single spell (Sneak and Show is the first in my list).
    It just has the "win/loose out of nowhere" feeling in every game with or against that deck.

Storm or Dredge are not in the list 'cause it's interesting to watch people do neat stuff (yeah, I like to play against High Tide).
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Thread Information