Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most FUN decks to play against, with, or watch!

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: Most FUN decks to play against, with, or watch!

Since I started the negative vibes on the other thread, I thought I'd chime in here.

I really enjoy playing Magic decks in general. Even against storm combo, but of course, it's more fun when you actually have a legitimate shot to interact and the matchup doesn't heavily favor any single deck.

I love combat tricks, so matchups against Death and Taxes (or most white weenies for that matter) are fun when I'm not playing combo. Ditto Goblins. So is Survival, as long as the balance doesn't tilt too far in favor of me or the opponent (i.e., I blow them out because they never get their Survival down, or they lock me out with an Iona).

I also like a nice attrition war. It could be two Countertop decks going at each other (provided one doesn't get a firm lock going that can't be broken by an Engineered Explosives or a Krosan Grip), or even something more old school like Draw-Go versus burn, old-school Necro (before it got super broken) versus white weenie, or two Keeper decks going at each other.

Basically, I'm okay with anything that:

1) Actually tries to win each game rather than stall or force a draw - I'm looking at Worldgorger Dragon combo or Lands
    2) Doesn't take forever to win - It's not just annoying to be a player, it's also annoying to be waiting an extra 30 minutes for the same deck to finish up when everyone else is done
    3) Doesn't reduce the game to grabbing silver bullets/hate on either side
    4) Prevents you from playing Magic normally - I'm referring to prison strategies, mana denial, etc.
    5) Isn't a one-sided matchup, even when the deck I'm playing I have a 99/1 advantage in the matchup

I'm okay with letting a few of these conditions slip, except for #1. It just gets annoying a deck violates every single aforementioned condition.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Pre-Ad Nauseam combo was very fun to play/watch. I especially still love Solidarity until now, because of the sheer amount of control you have over everything that's going on.

Also, budget decks in general. I've had people rage quit on me on MWS (and once in real life) after their $1,000 deck loses to a U/G Madness deck that's worth $50. One of the best feelings in the game, for me.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Mar 2008
    Westfield, MA

I have to say from the day I first played D&T I have LOVED the deck. It seems like complete jank yet once you start playing it the stuff you can do is just crazy. I mean really, Karakas + Magnara? Karakas + Trividar if your meta is full of Goblins? Cataclysm even in some builds?! Yeah pure fun to see the look on peoples faces as you are pulling off the tricks. Not only that I had a person look at the deck one time and think it is a bad deck to only start laughing once I faced him with it.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Casual decks I build are pretty lulzy. I made this deck before the extended change fucked me.
    // Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
    17 [10E] Forest (2)
    3 [LRW] Mosswort Bridge

// Creatures
    4 [EVE] Primalcrux
    4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
    4 [M10] Llanowar Elves
    4 [SHM] Deus of Calamity
    4 [WWK] Arbor Elf
    4 [ROE] Khalni Hydra
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    4 [SHM] Wilt-Leaf Liege
    4 [ROE] Mul Daya Channelers

// Spells
    4 [10E] Overgrowth
    3 [SHM] Impromptu Raid

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 [DDD] Indrik Stomphowler
    SB: 3 [REL] Vexing Shusher
    SB: 4 [WWK] Lodestone Golem

Seriously, I beat every top deck in extended save for combo in my testing. Quite simply, nobody expected it. Also, anybody remember ANKH?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Netherhaups is without a doubt the coolest deck ever to play. It is also tied with my other favorite deck of all time to play, the Old B.C. SI lists. SI was so inconsistent, but the draw4 chains are so sick when the deck is just curving out perfectly! Garden is also up there, the decision making tree for this deck is ridiculously tall, so its fun to watch people play it, some struggle and others just rock it out!

The only shit I won't ever watch is the CB vs CB mirror or Landstill vs anything. Its just so boring and the games are so robotic. I can tell you what they are going to do almost before it happens, and then the game is decided based on who has better topdeck skills. Just like paint drying, so dulll and boring too me.
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Feb 2008
    Leiden - Netherlands

Solidarity. Friend of mine picked it up and it is the most awesome pile of cards ever.
    This message has been deleted by Nightmare. Reason: Boo fucking hoo

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    Casual decks I build are pretty lulzy. I made this deck before the extended change fucked me.
    // Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
    17 [10E] Forest (2)
    3 [LRW] Mosswort Bridge

// Creatures
    4 [EVE] Primalcrux
    4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
    4 [M10] Llanowar Elves
    4 [SHM] Deus of Calamity
    4 [WWK] Arbor Elf
    4 [ROE] Khalni Hydra
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    4 [SHM] Wilt-Leaf Liege
    4 [ROE] Mul Daya Channelers

// Spells
    4 [10E] Overgrowth
    3 [SHM] Impromptu Raid

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [CH] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 [DDD] Indrik Stomphowler
    SB: 3 [REL] Vexing Shusher
    SB: 4 [WWK] Lodestone Golem

Seriously, I beat every top deck in extended save for combo in my testing. Quite simply, nobody expected it. Also, anybody remember ANKH?
    Holy crap, that deck rules hard. Maybe there is a replacement for overgrowth regarding the new extended.

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

The answer to all 3 questions: Solidarity.

It is both challenging and rewarding to play it, and watching somebody pull a win out of nowhere at instant-speed can be really entertaining. Heck, even if you lose to Solidarity, it is simply an honour just to play against it.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by kicks_422 View Post
    Pre-Ad Nauseam combo was very fun to play/watch. I especially still love Solidarity until now, because of the sheer amount of control you have over everything that's going on.
    QFT, Cluster Bomb was hella fun to watch once upon a time, and the new Time Sieve decks keep Standard modestly interesting.

I just love to blow shit up. Wildfire and Obliterate have always been among my favorites, and the rotation of Death Cloud out of Extended may actually keep me out of that format. I was definitely not happy when Pernicious Deed rotated out.

Agreeing here with NetherHaups being hilarious. Would that Wizards would allow for a new iteration of that, but I think they're afraid that something more like Go-Mar/Nether-go would arise again.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Anyone remember sunny-side up? Eggs and Second Sunrise? God that deck was so hilarious.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Anyone remember sunny-side up? Eggs and Second Sunrise? God that deck was so hilarious.
    I remembered the deck, but not the name. Yeah, that deck was awesome and extremely bad. I remember playing with Solidarity against that in a large tournament about 3 years ago. I smashed it.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

If my bologna had a first name it would be spelled O-B-A-M-A
    Mar 2010
    Hobart, Indiana

I've always liked aggro control. Recently, my favorite deck has been New Horizons. It gives me the satisfaction of beating down with a large body and it gives me the security that is FOW. It is also cool knowing that my matchups aren't usually bad and on any given day with good play skill I can win.
    13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV

-Member of Clan Magic Eternal-

-Find me on MTGO (NarrowGate) -

one man milling machine

Apr 2009
    Edmonds, Washington

I had built a Krark's thumb deck which was fairly hilarious to play. Attacking with 6/3 Mijae Djinns and winning out of nowhere (sometimes) with a Game of Chaos? priceless. I may have almost never won a game but everyone who was finished always crowded around MY table to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Heresy View Post
    Back in the days I was a fan of Emildn's Sun Tower, I enjoyed Team America and played a *****/intuition/loam variant of Hanni's.
    What is Emildn's Sun Tower?

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LostButSeeking View Post
    What is Emildn's Sun Tower?
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...8RG-UbaStax%29
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Quote Originally Posted by marclark View Post
    I had built a Krark's thumb deck which was fairly hilarious to play. Attacking with 6/3 Mijae Djinns and winning out of nowhere (sometimes) with a Game of Chaos? priceless. I may have almost never won a game but everyone who was finished always crowded around MY table to watch.
    lol, excellent. i made a coin flip deck for messing around as well. i think there are few better feelings than resolving a full three-flip Fiery Gambit... bonus points if you managed it without the thumb in play, for then you are truly a master of the art.

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

I've had so many favoreds.

Most of the time I can't even play the same deck in a tournament twice. Whenever I see (or create) a new deck I simply must play it, but as soon as I find another deck I'll discard the former.

I think the most love I've had for a deck was for IcBE Goyf Control. I build the deck when Future Sight was just released to try and pull out the potential of Tarmogoyf. Little did I (or anybody else) know it would turn out the best creature in the game at that time. The deck played lot's of 1, 2 and 3 ofs for pure versatilely and didn't care much about consistency and preformed surprisingly well.

At the moment I've been dabbling around with New Horizons (played it at the GP, before more then 10 people were paying attention to it), Eternal Garden and my latest love: Food Chain.

I guess you can say I'll play (and enjoy playing against) anything as long as it isn't storm combo or any DtB. I hate playing against the same deck over and over again.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Nov 2006
    London

I love eeking out wins with aggro decks. Nothing feels as good as topdecking Lightning Bolt when your opponent is at 3.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Solidarity mirrors are fucking awesome. I mean it. When time in a round is called, those decks take 30-40 min to end.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

I like to play decks that have a lot of cards that are very synergistic with each other, but also have a lot of flexability with their interactions against other decks.

For this reason I like to play Goblins, Loam decks, and Ninja/faeries the most, because all of the card choices in these decks really flow together nicely and have quite a bit of flexibility both in the way you build them and the way you pilot them to answer a lot of different threats.

The only decks I like watching most games, but the ones I don't like watching are decks that built to grind out games because their card choices are more reactive rather than threatening (so decks that use humility and moat, I find to be boring to watch).

Thread Information