Sideboard

2x Meddling Mage
    2x Stern Proctor
    4x Faerie Macabre
    1x Sower of Temptation
    3x Oblivion Ring
    3x Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    >

The Main theme of this deck is to control the opponent with Patron Wizard/Winter Orb/Opposition & use the synergy of the wizard/faerie count. Meanwhile you can use your early(or later) countermagic and some other versatile stuff such as jitte,aphetto grifter,sower of temptation or stern proctor. Scryb Ranger helps alot together with opposition,winter orb,spellstutter sprite,aphetto grifter or patron wizard.

Riptide Laboratory is a nice addition in my opinion -> re-use Spellstutter Sprite, Stern Proctor, Sage of Epityr or simply save your creatures.

Voidmage Prodigy helps alot in many situations -> acceptable 2-drop wizard

The sideboard is almost obvious:

Faerie Macabre > Tormods,Relic -> "Ather Vial"-able(faerie count), uncounterable(except stifle/trickbind), unexpected.
    Meddling Mage -> hates dreadnought,grim monolith decks,combo & reanimator decks etc.
    Sower of Tempation -> mostly against midrange stuff I guess.
    Stern Proctor -> enchantment/artifact hate. Very good against chrome mox/mox diamond, too.
    Oblivion Ring -> hates everything good.
    Llawan,Cephalid Empress -> hates merfolk & sea/faerie stompy.

so: what would you change, what do you like/dislike about the deck? Any other card suggestions or maybe a U/W or U/G/W build ?

This is my first thread/post on the source. No offense if you dislike this deck..constructive critics, please :)

Alex
    Last edited by Alexeezay; 06-27-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: error in the document

Re: Winter Wizards

Have you tried Elephant Grass for fighting aggro?

Jun 2010
    Germany

No I haven't tried Elephant Grass, cool idea. But I can hardly pay its cumulative upkeep because I'm already short on mana so I would not play it.

Edit: Dispel is no longer in the sideboard so the explanation is senseless :D

It would be helpful if you did autocard on your deck; some of your cards are a bit out of the norm; I only was able to have a vague recollection of what some of them did.

On the whole; it looks like a fairly solid deck, but it looks like it fold as soon as they drop a Tarmogoyf, or any other solid beater.

You need some way to deal with resolved creatures.

needs some vendilion clique. that card is awesome, and can be good with laboratory as well. plus, its a faerie combat trick.

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    needs some vendilion clique. that card is awesome, and can be good with laboratory as well. plus, its a faerie combat trick.
    I second this and also you need some propaganda..with all that mana denial it would be great against aggro.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I think I'd replace a couple of lands with Undiscovered Paradise to allow yourself to go around your own Winter Orb easier. You do have Patron Wizard which is 3cc so it would quicken up that play alone.

At least you know you won't actually fold to a Goyf since you can just tap them down. Llawan Cephalid Empress should be in the board since Merfolk will actually give you a run for your money since they are just as quick and use vial also.

Jun 2010
    Germany

Well I just edited the list & I put links on all of the cards :)

what do you think about cursecatcher & sigil tracer?
    maybe 4x winter orb is better than 3?

Thread Information