Thread: UGw Tempo takes 2nd in Lansing GPT

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

UGw Tempo takes 2nd in Lansing GPT

Hello all and welcome to my UGw Tempo GPT report. As most you who follow my reports know I’ve been working on this pile for some time. It’s been quite successful for me, and I hope to help not only further your knowledge as readers, but also fully comprehend my understanding of specific situations by explaining what happened ect.
    So lets get down to the nitty gritty! My sideboard was alittle different from my normal 15. I chose to play the following board due to predictions and scouting in my metagame.
    4 relic
    4 blast
    2 path
    2 ee
    2 needle
    1 Rhox

The rest of the list remained the same as it covers everything that I wanted to cover pre-board.
    So lets kick this pig!

Paul Kim is scheduled to stay the night Saturday, and we’re going to test like mad people. As part of a practice I have been picking apart my playing style in order to play not only tighter, but also readjust playing legacy incorrectly like so many others do. Paul has helped me out a lot with this.

So Saturday night is a total bust. We get some play-testing done and we do test against other people, but it really doesn’t lead to anything else. I am slightly more confident in several matches after I break my sideboard and Paul and I go over a couple of strategies. We continue to test and then walk home from Capital City Comics.

We go to the store so I get something better to drink. Paul lets me know he's going home because he's not really wanting to spend the money to play in this tourney. I understands and he leaves. I do alittle mws testing against randoms and go to bed.

I wake up and make some potatos, sausage, and eggs, barely managing to get ahold of myself for the tournament. I’m slightly concerned because I haven’t heard anything from my ride (fellow WhoDatNinja? Team-mate Joe Urda!) and I’m a-little dreary about the tournament itself. Last week I went 3-3 in another GPT where I didn't play in that particular events meta-gamed matches. . It was kind of upsetting as I know my match-ups were really weird s all day long!

Team Who Dat Ninja and it’s southern branch “Down river Ninjas.” Are all present except for Frank who I am dis-heartened not to see there.

Tournament starts around noon I think?

R1 Chris P. Thopter Foundry
    We both mull to 6, I win the roll

g1.
    He starts off slowly with top followed by a hunt for more lands. I break his searching with wastelands and timely answers against his relevant spells. He ends up getting a thopter foundry, but doesn't have the mana to support the combo. I quickly utilize by stping a token and smashing in for 10. The next round he blocks my critters and I drop qasali nuking his thopter. GG.

SB in:
    +2 ee, +2 needle
    Out:
    -4 stp

g2.
    I check how much time we have (19 minutes) I stand up and look around as he decides if he's keeping or not. I check out some matches nearby that I might face just to see if I can get this to go to time because I don't think Chris can win quickly. he opens with relic, I keep on an extremely strong hand of important matchup cards and disruption spells. I open with noble, he follows it with top and passes, I drop qasali. He drops a second factory. I swing into it with a 4/4 qasali which he blocks. I see he has tundra, mishra mishra, he blocks and makes his mishra a 4/4. We trade and I lay wasteland then qasali #2 in my second main. I strip his tundra so he's left with mishra's factory, top, relic, 5 cards. I have 4 cards with noble 2 lands and qasali. I deffinately feel game 2 is in hand. Untill he drops double fetch and paths my qasali. Soon after I ponder revealing noble hierarch 2+3 along with qasali number three. I throw a second noble down and he ee's for 1. I play noble 3 and qasali (time is called) 3. He E Tutors for humility, for which I daze, he forces, and I pierce. I cast ponder number 2 (goyf goyf needle) I take needle and name Thopter foundry. he tries for a path on the lethal turn in overtime (turn 5) I have saved force, and it's over.
    1-0-0

R2 James Smith Rev.614
    He wins the die roll, I mull 6

G1. He leads with Dark RIT into Doomsday which resolves and passes. I check and note that Tendrills is removed so he’s going for Show and Tell or Shellshock Isle win. I cast ponder, revealing force, wasteland, Gas. Draw the force. He drops Isle, and I follow with Wasteland (I can hear dreams being crushed in the distance.) He scoops and mopes.

SB in:
    +2 needle
    out
    -2 stp

G2. I open with a seven of 2x Force 2x BS 2x Fetch Noble Hierarch. My first two draws in order are spell pierce, vendillion Clique. Nuff said.
    2-0-0 (1st)
    R3. Nick Ransom Armageddon Stax
    He wins the roll
    G1. He leads with chalice (force, my entire hand is 1 drops and I have to resolve Noble.) He casts 3sphere, and ends it quickly with COW –Lock.
    Board
    +2 EE
    -2 STP
    G2 . I open with double noble ponder spell pierce daze double fetch. Being on the play with noble=Win.
    G3. He opens off a mull to 6 into opening with Cow. I don’t really care as I open with a fetch heavy hand with noble hierarch and Kotr. He drops smokestax but I daze. I cast the second noble and brainstorm to pierce a Geddon. I drop knight and continue the beatings, so he drops Magus, which in turn gets stp’d. He scoops inevitably to a giant Knight of the Reliquary.
    3-0-0 (1st)
    R4. Matt Mirror (seven cards difference in the main, huge board differences)
    I.D.
    3-0-1 (1st)
    R5. Goceppi Zoo
    I.D.
    3-0-2 (2nd)
    End of Swiss (I’m currently in second with my partner Joe Urda finishing ahead of me in the swiss with Dragon Stompy. Gocepi’s in 3rd and Matt is in fourth.

Our Top 8
    1 Dragon Stompy (Joe Urda)
    2 UGw Tempo (Me)
    3 Zoo without Price of Progress (Goceppi)
    4 UGw Tempo Redux (Matt)
    5 Thopter Foundry (Chris Piperzak
    6 Landstill (Master Shake)
    7 Armageddon Stax (Nick Ransom)
    8 Mono Black Pox (Kevin
    This bracket looks alright. I had hoped that Landstill would have gotten the boot (Sorry Chris) but sure enough he gets in and it’s the one match-up I’m just a dog too in this top 8. The rest of the field is actually decent for me.

Quarterfinals
    I get paired against Nick Playing Arm. Stax again.
    G1. I get an early huge KotR going. He drops Ghostly Prison, so I drop 2nd Knight to begin the ends games. He falls to 8 with knights at 8/8. He casts Armageddon, I rip a fetch like a champ, confirm with a judge that I can in fact enter my attack step and pay the cost for Ghostly prison, I.E. win game. He approves and Knight eats me some stax.
    Same board as before
    G2. I make a play error grabbing a tundra when I meant to grab a trop. It costs me the game. I had a fantastic hand too. …
    G3. He mulls into oblivion (3) and I keep a 7 with pleanty of land+countermagic. He builds a small colorless manabase, but I am keeping him at bay with repetitious Wastelands. Eventually I cast goyf and he leads me to the promised Land. Livin’ the dream?
    Semi-Finals
    Kevin Mono Black Pox.
    My partner apparently took subpar hands against him, while he saw triple bloodghast+ insane number of lands.
    I win the roll
    G1: I cast a daze on his ritual. He procedes to cast x3 thoughtseize, then bob for which I draw one of my 2x stp’s on top of my library. I<3 Brainstorm. He’s stuck on 2 land for what seems forever and I my deck does like it does drawing threat after threat. He casts a second jitte which he equips to a nighthawk which attempts to race my 37 life (double Rhox+KotR). I win the race rofl.
    +2 Path +2 EE
    -4 Force
    G2: I roll out quickly with early Rhox War Monk which he follows with gatekeeper-I respond with daze. We continue on for a few turns where he switches to hand disruption while I play threats. Then he draws critters but he’s at such a low life total he’s forced to make bad blocks. I eventually overcome his fogs and win the game.
    Finals: Chris UWbg Landstill
    I’m quite the dog in this match-up. I know his list runs as much removal as I do creatures. I have to keep him low on land while continuing my gameplan or I just lose. Theres nothing I can cast that’s going to put him on a clock unless it’s knight of the reliquary and he doesn’t have an answer for it right then.
    G1. Rolls me with double decee.
    +1 Rhox
    +2 Needle

-2 stp
    -1 Island
    G2: Rinse and repeat.

Props:
    Urda for overtaking me in the last round of the swiss to finish the swiss number one! Damn you!!1
    Team WhoDatNinja + our southern branch Down river ninja’s for filling 3 of the top 8
    Me for playing like a champ until the top8 where I my fetchland play was terrible.

Slops:
    Jocepi and Piperzack for getting mindfucked by chris.
    Urda for losing first round of top 8.. I needed you to try and take out landstill!!!
    Dave for not giving me a gold deck box: I rly want another 1!
    Last edited by mossivo1986; 07-03-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Re: UGw Tempo takes 2nd in Lansing GPT

He casts Armageddon, I rip a fetch like a champ, confirm with a judge that I can in fact enter my attack step and pay the cost for Ghostly prison, I.E. win game. He approves and Knight eats me some stax.
    Just to make sure I have the situation correct, you're attacking with one Knight, he has one Ghostly Prison out, you have one land out, and you use the second Knight to generate the second mana to attack? If that's the case, then I don't think that's legal, since the M10 rules changes made it so mana does not float in between different steps of the combat phase (the latest you could activate Knight before the Declare Attackers step is the Beginning of Combat step). I ran into the same situation at an earlier tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by brianw712 View Post
    Just to make sure I have the situation correct, you're attacking with one Knight, he has one Ghostly Prison out, you have one land out, and you use the second Knight to generate the second mana to attack? If that's the case, then I don't think that's legal, since the M10 rules changes made it so mana does not float in between different steps of the combat phase (the latest you could activate Knight before the Declare Attackers step is the Beginning of Combat step). I ran into the same situation at an earlier tournament.
    I seem to remember this being the case as well. (Where you can't crack a fetchland with lotus cobra to pay for it)
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Nono, he's got two knights. "I dropped a second knight to begin the endgames". So it's, crack fetch (tap for mana) sac to knight get a NEW land, tap THAT for mana, pay for the prison, swing for the kill with the original knight.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by mossivo1986 View Post
    (I can hear dreams being crushed in the distance.)
    LOL

Congrats on the finish man. I'll hop over to the dark side after July 31/Aug 1...
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Good job, Joel. Sorry about ditching you but my car was absolutely busted. It ended up breaking down 6 miles from my house and I had to walk it loaded with books and my computer at 2:30 in the morning. In any case, congratulations.

LostButSeeking
    Nono, he's got two knights. "I dropped a second knight to begin the endgames". So it's, crack fetch (tap for mana) sac to knight get a NEW land, tap THAT for mana, pay for the prison, swing for the kill with the original knight.
    Yea, except he can't use knight's ability at the beginning of the declare attackers step, which is when he would need to pay for prison. The very first thing you do in the declare attackers step is declare attackers (and pay any costs associated with it); you can't use knight's ability in the declare attackers step until after you've already paid all costs. If you use knight's ability before the declare attackers step, then the mana won't carry over to the declare attackers step.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by brianw712 View Post
    Yea, except he can't use knight's ability at the beginning of the declare attackers step, which is when he would need to pay for prison. The very first thing you do in the declare attackers step is declare attackers (and pay any costs associated with it); you can't use knight's ability in the declare attackers step until after you've already paid all costs. If you use knight's ability before the declare attackers step, then the mana won't carry over to the declare attackers step.
    Let me clean my report up so it all might make more sense. Sorry about the confusion. I wrote it half asleep at DTW a couple of mornings ago.

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

I am surprised that you made no mention of the fact that you had to wait two-and-a-half hours for the finals.

Great job at the tournament and excellent report. Our match analysis was a bit bleak but I can understand not wanting to relive that.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    I am surprised that you made no mention of the fact that you had to wait two-and-a-half hours for the finals.

Great job at the tournament and excellent report. Our match analysis was a bit bleak but I can understand not wanting to relive that.
    Note that I was re-editing the report to add detail and the special bold prints :). I hadn't gotten to our match yet.

Also note: The fact that I drafted a cube deck and was about to start a round should tell you about how long your match took. Mind you I started drafting the cube 45 minutes into your first match. Just puttin' it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LostButSeeking View Post
    I understand the play he is making. However, I do not believe there is a window where the activated ability of the knight can be played.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    I understand the play he is making. However, I do not believe there is a window where the activated ability of the knight can be played.
    And having at least 2 mana off an initial land. Seems suspect

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    And having at least 2 mana off an initial land. Seems suspect
    There is at no point where I am saying one recieves 2 mana of one land. There is in interaction with Knight of the Reliquary where you can float a mana, sacrifice that land, then float another mana from the land you search for, then procede to pay for the knight of the reliquary thats untapped in order to attack. I think this interaction begins in the declaration of attack, not attackers step.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

I'm not saying its just from the one land, just off the one land at the start. I'm aware of the neat KotR tricks possible.

Regardless, Congrats!!

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Edit: Double Post
    Last edited by Tammit67; 07-05-2010 at 04:41 PM.

This game is not a democracy.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

Edited seconds after posted:

That knight trick doesn't work. Mana pools empty at the end of each step and phase. Floating mana from the beginning of combat step to declare attackers step won't work. There is also no opportunity to activate Knight in the declare attackers step before you have to pay the 2. I lied, Scott lied. Everyone lied. You cheated. Good job cheater.
    Last edited by Patrick; 07-05-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Completely wrong rules explanation.
    "Michael opens with Lotus Petal, Academy Ruins, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, and Stifle. I Force of Will the Stifle, but he has Force of Will backup. I Ponder on turn one and again on turn two, but fail to find a Swords to Plowshares before he has smashed me twice. " That's losing to Mike Sanchirico.

Team Bad Guys.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007

I <3 jedi mind tricks :)

Thread Information