Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Tempo Thresh dead?

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: Is Tempo Thresh dead?

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Black Tempo Thresh is actually a really strong choice right now with Ghastly Demise/Diabolic Edict/EE main and sb Deathmarks.
    Are you referring to Team America?

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp_Fiction View Post
    @denial and whiteghost: My meta used to be infested with Thrash. When I first started playing Zoo it just tore them apart. I don't know why you think Thrash has positive matchups but I don't remember a time it take a whole match against Zoo or Merfolk. Now it is completely dead in my meta, but when it was played, these are the decks that were slaughtering it. Perhaps u guys had different experiences ... I never saw it do much good. I mean, I used to consistently beat it with original TES lists that only ran 4x Orim's Chants as protection spells and 11-12 lands. Thrash is kind of like Pox, a decent deck overall but it excells at nothing so I can't think of any good reason to actually play it.
    Dunno. Maybe your meta was just infested with bad players. A 1/1 nacatl and a 1/1 ape arent that scary when all zoos lands have been stifled and wasted. As for TES, or combo, you just counter their early acceleration.

Team Moosebite
    Feb 2009
    Oudega,tiny village in the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Are you referring to Team America?
    No, ***** with a black splash instead of a red one.

6 black removal spell that deal with goyfs.
    Confidant takes care of your CA needs.

Extirpate side is golden.

It's a bit more controlish, since it loses the reach of F/I and Bolt.
    If there is such a thing as too much power, I have not discovered it.” —Volrath

Founding father of Team Moosebite, the team that really bites.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

I've played Tempo Thresh for forever and have lost to Zoo a grand total of once out of seven or eight matches. I haven't ever played against Merfolk but I'd have to imagine 8 swords + goyf and 12 swords postboard will get me there. I'm also undefeated against Reanimator, partly because I'm a lucksack (Di can confirm) bu mostly because that deck couldn't deal with all your countermagic.

Again, the increased appearence of creatures out of Burn range has marginalized the deck from it's once dominant status, but given the right matchups, you can prolly still weave your way through a tournament.

Don't play Team America, as much as I like Dan's new list(the asston of cantrips especially), I can't back anything that rolls over to 4 swords and 4 path the way that deck does.

I agree with emidln with the black splash. Goose is still awesome. All the deck really needed was more concrete removal. Perhaps Jace over the bounce as well.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

@denial and whiteghost: My meta used to be infested with Thresh.
    You have been drinking too much. Our meta was never infested with "Tempo Thresh", unless you are lumping every blue deck that plays Goyf, FoW, Daze and Brainstorm into a Thresh category. I was pretty much the only player that played Tempo Thresh.

When I first started playing Zoo it just tore them apart.
    This is a funny statement. I remember when you first started playing Zoo. The one night we got paired in Top 8 and beat you in two. All I every heard was "can't be luck" or "apparently got a counter for everything".

@all: Granted there are bigger and bigger threats that keep making there way into the format, but don't underestimate mongoose. Having a creature that doesn't die to removal goes a long way.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

Quote Originally Posted by kabal View Post
    @all: Granted there are bigger and bigger threats that keep making there way into the format, but don't underestimate mongoose. Having a creature that doesn't die to removal goes a long way.
    The "doesn't die to removal" argument is pretty threadbare when you're making it about something that will be a 1/1 for four turns or so, and then only turn into a 3/3. Yes, you can two-for-one yourself to have your Mongoose kill the Tarmogoyf that's eating it for lunch, but plays like that are pretty terrible in a deck with a topdeck mode as awful as Canadian Thresh's.

New Horizons is a better deck because it basically does exactly what Canadian was supposed to do: keep the opponent off-balance in the early game and then close the game out with giant threats before he can recover. If Canadian stumbles, almost all decks in the format (aside from control decks) will come back and crush it. If New Horizons stumbles, it can still try to get there with a 7/7 trampling Terravore.

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

You have been drinking too much. Our meta was never infested with "Tempo Thresh", unless you are lumping every blue deck that plays Goyf, FoW, Daze and Brainstorm into a Thresh category. I was pretty much the only player that played Tempo Thresh.

This is a funny statement. I remember when you first started playing Zoo. The one night we got paired in Top 8 and beat you in two. All I every heard was "can't be luck" or "apparently got a counter for everything".

I don't remember that at all. And a ton of people used to play that crap. I am pretty sure u are thinking about the time u luck-sacked the shit out of me when I was playing Rock and got hideous draws. "Can't beat luck" is like my trademark statement because ... well, luck > skill. But "apparently got a counter for everything" is not something I would ever say. Its too nice and I remember playing against you, I never said anything nice, especially since u play the EXACT same 70 cards everytime AND u take way too long for easy ass decisions, its not like u are crafting a DD pile!

Now I really don't remember u ever beating Zoo, but if u did there are only 2 possible explanations: I mulled to 6 or below every game and kept 1 landers because the deck was giving me shit which would be an anamoly, OR u are thinking about the only time u ever beat my Rock deck in 3 games after I drew all 3 Chokes and then STEs and continued to blank on Top for like 5-8 consecutive turns, oh, there comes that luck thing again :)

EDIT: Just noticed this, been drinking too much you say??? Its way better to drink too much than it is to not drink enough!
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

And a ton of people used to play that crap.
    No ... Just ask Matt.

Now I really don't remember u ever beating Zoo, but if u did there are only 2 possible explanations
    I had an answer for everything you did and destroyed your mana base.

EDIT: Looking at my tournament history and noticed I am 7-9-2 against you. Oh well, you got 2 wins up on me.

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

No ... Just ask Matt.

I had an answer for everything you did and destroyed your mana base.

EDIT: Looking at my tournament history and noticed I am 7-9-2 against you. Oh well, you got 2 wins up on me.
    Will ask him on wednesday. I am positive there used to be at least 3 -4 players who regularly played it and this was back when we had 15ish.

If u did infact beat Zoo it would only be because I kept mulling into shit or was forced to keep some random ass 5-6 card hand. No excuses but ... luck would be the deciding factor on that match. Either way, I have no memory of that crap but I used to constantly top 8 and top 4 with Zoo so I really don't remember that particular match. I just remember smashing most CB bullshit decks with it and ravaging the terrible versions that attack your manabase and have no clock.

U ..... actually keep records? Seems like I should be way more up than that. And those draws upset me, u are the only person who is capable of stalling me till time. I play fast aggro, dredge, and combo ..... I should not be going to time. Thats where those 2 minute Ponders catch up :D
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

U ..... actually keep records?
    No I don't ... You can just look them up at @ Wizards.com

2 minute Ponders catch up :D
    Oh Jason.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by a-slice-of-cake View Post
    I've invested heavily into my Tempo Thresh deck, but it seems like every matchup is unfavorable. Granted, I'm new to Legacy, but this is immensely frustrating. I've also noticed a lack of tops on deckcheck. Has Legacy lost one of its mainstays (and have I lost my money)?
    Necro.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to spend $1 to buy 4 Delver of Secrets to get a top Legacy deck again.

This is why Legacy is awesome. Invest in quality staples and you'll be able to play forever. Hopefully you didn't sell off all your cards!

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

I had to read the whole thread (especially the time it was created) to fully understand what the heck was going on here.
    I can not think of any time I would have chosen Dark Thresh or New Horizons over Canadian Threshold/NQGr.
    I know that a whole lot of player's missed it back then, but it was always possible to play a version with a higher thread density in form of running Mental Note and Werebear which really was an insane deck.
    I am really wondering what the actual Meta looked that these statements have been made... .
    In response...Hypothek!

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Locked so as to not confuse people who do not notice it's a necro.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Thread Information