Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scion of the Ur-Dragon

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Scion of the Ur-Dragon

This deck is amazingly fun to play and just as powerful. You get to see a ton of cards and cheat some serious beaters into play. There's a utility dragon for almost every situation plus a couple other targets to fill in the gaps.

// General
    Scion of the Ur-Dragon

// Enablers - 16
    Bazaar of Baghdad

Breakthrough
    Careful Study

Ideas Unbound
    Strategic Planning
    Tolarian Winds

Thirst for Knowledge
    Attunement
    Compulsive Research
    Flux
    Frantic Search
    Magus of the Bazaar
    Wheel of Fortune
    Windfall

Careful Consideration
    Fact or Fiction

// The Cheats - 17
    Reanimate

Animate Dead
    Dance of the Dead
    Exhume
    Life/Death

Corpse Dance
    Loyal Retainers
    Necromancy
    Show and Tell

Diabolic Servitude
    Eureka
    Makeshift Mannequin
    Vigor Mortis

Living Death
    Miraculous Recovery
    Patriarch's Bidding

Dragonstorm

// The Dragons - 14
    Keiga, the Tide Star
    Kilnmouth Dragon
    Malfegor
    Ryusei, the Falling Star
    Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    Teneb, the Harvester
    Yosei, the Morning Star

Bladewing the Risen
    Dragon Mage
    Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
    Thunder Dragon

Bogardan Hellkite
    Hellkite Overlord
    Nicol Bolas
    Scourge of Kher Ridges

Dragon Tyrant

// Non-Dragon Reanimation Targets - 3
    Terastodon

Iona, Shield of Emeria

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

// Utility - 3
    Chaos Warp
    Oblation

Decimate

// Acceleration/Fixing - 14
    Chrome Mox
    Mana Crypt

Mana Vault
    Sol Ring

Dimir Signet
    Fellwar Stone
    Grim Monolith
    Izzet Signet
    Rakdos Signet
    Sphere of the Suns
    Talisman of Dominance

Coalition Relic
    Darksteel Ingot

Gilded Lotus

// Lands - 31
    Arcane Sanctum
    Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    Cephalid Coliseum
    City of Brass
    Command Tower
    Crumbling Necropolis
    Ancient Tomb
    Exotic Orchard
    Gemstone Mine
    Grand Coliseum
    Jungle Shrine
    Minamo, School at Water's Edge
    Mirrodin'S Core
    Mosswort Bridge
    Reflecting Pool
    Rupture Spire
    Savage Lands
    Seaside Citadel
    Shimmering Grotto
    Snow-Covered Island
    Snow-Covered Swamp
    Spinerock Knoll
    Tarnished Citadel
    Tendo Ice Bridge
    Unstable Frontier
    Vesuva
    Vivid Crag
    Vivid Creek
    Vivid Grove
    Vivid Marsh
    Vivid Meadow

Recent Changes (6/23/2011)
    Removed a few dragons and weaker reanimation spells for more draw/discard. Also working in some removal. Giving Jin-Gitaxias a try. Finally managed to track down a Bazaar of Baghdad and Strategic Planning :).

Currently Testing
    Tooth and Nail

Alternative Lists
    Zlatzman
    Last edited by sunshine; 06-23-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    awesome

Sep 2008
    Santiago, Chile

Re: Scion of the Ur-Dragon

Yeah, scion is pretty fun to play, but Recurring nightmare is banned, for good reasons ^^. Maybe Rise from the grave, or cauldron dance or dance of the dead or even Goryo's vengeance can fill the spot.

Bryant Cook

This deck would be a fuckton cooler if it played dragonstorm.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Quote Originally Posted by sligh16 View Post
    Yeah, scion is pretty fun to play, but Recurring nightmare is banned, for good reasons ^^. Maybe Rise from the grave, or cauldron dance or dance of the dead or even Goryo's vengeance can fill the spot.
    Damn, where is the actual comprehensive banned list for EDH? I've never had anyone comment on it being banned before but I'll gladly (sadly ) take it out if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BryantCook
    This deck would be a fuckton cooler if it played dragonstorm.
    True sir, most likely that's what'll go in the Recurring Nightmare slot if it is indeed banned.

Edit: I actually overlooked it because I don't own one.
    awesome

You could lobby your play group for an exemption to the ban on Recurring Nightmare. You're not doing anything too broken with it, so they might be fine with letting you play it as long as you don't try to set up any infinite loops or anything.

EDIT: Also, your land count seems kind of low.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Made the following changes:

Recurring Nightmare -> Dragonstorm
    Kokusho, the Evening Star -> Spellbound Dragon

Turns out Kokusho is banned as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies
    You could lobby your play group for an exemption to the ban on Recurring Nightmare. You're not doing anything too broken with it, so they might be fine with letting you play it as long as you don't try to set up any infinite loops or anything.
    I'll likely just keep Recurring Nightmare and Kokusho in the EDH box and swap them in depending on the group I'm playing with. Dragonstorm is a pretty solid choice regardless. I plan to throw down some EDH goodness at the GP at the end of the month so I'll at least make sure everything is kosher for that. Losing Kokusho and Recurring Nightmare makes me sad.

EDIT:

Gave Volrath's Shapeshifter the axe, without Recurring Nightmare he's just not so amazing...

Volrath's Shapeshifter -> Yawgmoth's Will

Will isn't always golden in this deck, often it will just be a more expensive reanimation effect + land drop - which really is good enough. With enough mana it's obviously stupid so it gets to come back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies
    EDIT: Also, your land count seems kind of low.
    The number of actual lands is on the low side. However, as long as my opponent isn't actively disrupting my manabase I'm generally fine. There's plenty of artifact mana (total of 44 mana sources in the deck) to smooth things over and all the draw effects help as well.
    Last edited by sunshine; 07-06-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    awesome

I have a friend who plays this general and he always accelerates into a turn four Scion followed by searching for Dragon Tyrant on turn five to general somebody out. Either I have an instant-speed answer for his dragon, or I lose. Is there any reason to play this deck any other way?

I feel like a lot of the dragons you have, you would never even search for. And when would Kilnmouth Dragon ever be useful? It's hard enough to get that thing to be more than an 8/8 in my casual 60 card dragon deck with 12 dragons in it. Your ratio is even lower.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    I have a friend who plays this general and he always accelerates into a turn four Scion followed by searching for Dragon Tyrant on turn five to general somebody out. Either I have an instant-speed answer for his dragon, or I lose. Is there any reason to play this deck any other way?

I feel like a lot of the dragons you have, you would never even search for. And when would Kilnmouth Dragon ever be useful? It's hard enough to get that thing to be more than an 8/8 in my casual 60 card dragon deck with 12 dragons in it. Your ratio is even lower.
    My guess is your friend plays a lot more two player duels than I do. In a 4+ person game its pretty rare to untap with Scion before turn 7-8. I typically won't even play him unless I have the mana open to at least threaten a morph into Quicksilver to deflect a removal spell.
    awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    My guess is your friend plays a lot more two player duels than I do. In a 4+ person game its pretty rare to untap with Scion before turn 7-8. I typically won't even play him unless I have the mana open to at least threaten a morph into Quicksilver to deflect a removal spell.
    True. I've all but had to take apart my Azusa deck because it has no way to stop a turn four Scion.

Have you found that people tend to target your general as soon as it hits play? How often do you go after Tyrant if you know you can push through damage (if not, what dragon do you search for first most of the time)? Do you tend to one-shot with different dragons and then reanimate them all? Lastly (sorry for the interrogation), are there any cards that you hate to see when playing with Scion?

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

True. I've all but had to take apart my Azusa deck because it has no way to stop a turn four Scion.

Have you found that people tend to target your general as soon as it hits play? How often do you go after Tyrant if you know you can push through damage (if not, what dragon do you search for first most of the time)? Do you tend to one-shot with different dragons and then reanimate them all? Lastly (sorry for the interrogation), are there any cards that you hate to see when playing with Scion?
    I've definitely found that Scion has a huge target on his head - and rightly so - especially if you don't have the mana open to spin him into a Kamigawa dragon or Quicksilver.

Tyrant typically won't be my first choice even if I have a clear shot at somebody, unless of course I do have enough red mana to get a kill. I usually reach for Nicol Bolas which is probably just as good to connect with in a 1-1 game.

Which dragons I search up first is very dependent on the deck I'm playing against. If I haven't managed to get any dudes in my graveyard yet with draw/discard effects I'll often search up a Yosei or Keiga at eot just before I untap for the first time with him in play. Bladewing + X is a frequent play as well, netting two dudes for a single reanimation spell. Thunder Dragon and Scourge will often come out early if I'm facing lots of tokens or worrisome low-toughness creatures.

As for which cards I hate to see - it seems like your friend's build (which I'm guess is the motivation for the question ) is a little different but the only thing I really hate to see are things that attack my manabase. Moon effects, Back to Basics, mass artifact destruction, even a well timed Waste/Strip Mine can set me back long enough to be troublesome. Besides that I generally don't have many ways to answer problematic enchantments (Humility and Ground Seal come to mind).
    awesome

Tyrant typically won't be my first choice even if I have a clear shot at somebody, unless of course I do have enough red mana to get a kill. I usually reach for Nicol Bolas which is probably just as good to connect with in a 1-1 game.

As for which cards I hate to see - it seems like your friend's build (which I'm guess is the motivation for the question ) is a little different but the only thing I really hate to see are things that attack my manabase. Moon effects, Back to Basics, mass artifact destruction, even a well timed Waste/Strip Mine can set me back long enough to be troublesome. Besides that I generally don't have many ways to answer problematic enchantments (Humility and Ground Seal come to mind).
    I've been hit with Nicol Bolas a couple of times, but it's usually because I've taunted him into doing something splashy to get some victory points. Both times I had mass recursion (Cast Uril then Replenish for Fires of Yavimaya + a couple of enchanments for a quick win). I think I may have scared him off of using Bolas.

You run a lot of artifact acceleration. I'm pretty sure about 1/3 of my friend's deck is literally rampant growth affects. He usually has a board full of basics which are hard to disrupt and the few times I've play dedicated land destruction, he's been able to recover fairly quickly. Also, LD kind of goes against the idea of the format (in my opinion).

I did notice that you don't run a lot of answer cards, but I don't know if you need them. The deck generally plays out threats that demand answers until nobody has them anymore. There's always the rare Solitary Confinement (or whatever), but I think most of the time it won't matter. I'm pretty sure you're generally going to play the aggro role.

I guess I'm just bitching and moaning more than I need to. Scion isn't a very common general and I just got stuck with somebody who thought it would be cool to throw all of his dragons into an EDH deck and have at it. You'll have to let me know if people start to roll their eyes when you sit down to play EDH and pull out your Scion deck.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

That's the other reason I didn't just build for the fast Tyrant plan. I find it more fun to run esoteric cards and splashy effects like Eureka and Show and Tell.

I haven't had anybody roll their eyes yet - but then I used to roll with Oona combo which was... less interactive. Also, the other general I play often is Mangara, Vindicate on a stick gets old a lot faster than dragons.

Oh - also Ensnaring Bridge is a solid colorless option for stopping those pesky fliers.
    awesome

Oh - also Ensnaring Bridge is a solid colorless option for stopping those pesky fliers.
    That's actually a pretty great idea. I'll have to try it out.

And just so we're clear, using it's ability and then attacking with Scion still counts as general damage, right? I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm not entirely sure on the way the rules work.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

That's actually a pretty great idea. I'll have to try it out.

And just so we're clear, using it's ability and then attacking with Scion still counts as general damage, right? I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm not entirely sure on the way the rules work.
    Yeah, that still counts as general damage:

Quote Originally Posted by EDH Rules
    Being a General is not a characteristic[MTG CR109.3], it is a property of the card. As such, "Generalness" cannot be copied or overwritten by continuous effects, and does not change with control of the card. Examples

Examples: A Body Double copying a General in a graveyard is not a General. A General which is affected by Cytoshape, or is face down, is still a General.
    The relevant part being that a general affected by Cytoshape (i.e. your general becomes a copy of some other creature) is still a general. Here's a link to the rules page I grabbed that from. Click on "Play" then "Examples" for rule #9.
    awesome

Apr 2007
    Norway

Been playing Scion in EDH myself and I find it to be great fun.

The core of the deck is quite similar (acceleration + scion + dragons + reanimation), but I've chosen to run some mass removal instead of ways of cheating cards into play (e.g. Show and Tell). I also run a rampant growth-package instead of artifact acceleration, as there is more artifact-removal than land-removal in my playgroup.

As for possible inclusions to the deck:

Genesis
    Zirilan of the Claw
    Lightning Greaves

if you include Zirilan you might want to look at Greater Good
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Greater Good is pretty interesting even without Zirilan - combo's well with Corpse Dance. If you want to post (or pm me) your list I'd be happy to include it in the OP as an alternate take on the deck - same goes for anyone else actively working on this general.

I've been thinking more and more about switching up the acceleration package to a rampant growth style one. Having all the artifacts really hasn't been too much of a hinderance and I don't really like the idea of needing green mana to play my acceleration but I'll probably give it a try at some point.
    awesome

Apr 2007
    Norway

You can check out this thread for my old list. The current list is quite similar to that list, I guess 10 or so cards are changed.

I think I'm going to move a bit towards the list you're running, with more ways to put dragons into the graveyard.
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Took a look at your list, I overlooked both Makeshift Mannequin and Twilight's Call - once I get my hands on a copy of each they'll definitely be making their way in. Especially since they both have the potential to reanimate Emrakul.

Also, with all the draw/discard effects I'm running Life from the Loam is probably worth testing at least.

EDIT:

@Zlatzman - I added a link to your thread in the OP. If you have any objections just let me know and I'll take it down.
    Last edited by sunshine; 07-09-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    awesome

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Going to give Betrayal of Flesh and Dimir Doppelganger a spin in the Body Double slot. Trying to maximize the instant speed reanimation effects to make sure I have a reasonable chance of getting Emrakul into play.
    awesome

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Updated list in the OP to include some of the recently printed dragons:

Steel Hellkite
    Hoard-Smelter Dragon
    Malfegor

Always nice to get some added utility without making too many sacrifices.

I'm testing Survival of the Fittest as well - I'm already running Retainers + Iona/Emrakul so it seems like a natural fit given that it also a wellspring of reanimation targets. Being able to shuffle my yard back into the library with Emrakul should also be nice as I'm usually the first target for things like Crypt.
    awesome

Thread Information