Thread: Guide to Grand Prix Columbus! [Premium Article]

Guide to Grand Prix Columbus! [Premium Article]

This is not another ‘introduction to Legacy’ article. If you aren’t familiar with the format, check out this article from January describing the 50 decks of Legacy at the time, with matchup data drawn from the SCG Open results at the time. In addition, I attempted to sketch out the essential structure of the format at the very end of that article with some fancy graphs.

In this article, I will do four things. First, I will update and supplement that article with the new decks that have entered the metagame since that article. At the same time, I will suggest how some of the decks have moved within the tier rubric I set out in that article.

Second, and most importantly, I will examine both the popularity and performance of each major archetype over time, and graph them so you can visualize these trends. Both measures are important, particularly as you prepare for the Grand Prix. In the process, I will offer a metagame prediction for Grand Prix Columbus, complete with archetype percentages.

Finally, I will marshal the data analyzed in Part II to examine and critique recent arguments made in support of the banning of Mystical Tutor, including Tom LaPille’s DCI statement. Also, I will provide some distilled talking points for communicating with your friends on this issue clearly and effectively.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l..._Columbus.html

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Re: Guide to Grand Prix Columbus! [Premium Article]

I think I'm more surprised you had no mention of Lands or Enchantress which stand to be pretty dominant in this aggro filled, ANT lacking format. All in all a good read though.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I think I'm more surprised you had no mention of Lands or Enchantress which stand to be pretty dominant in this aggro filled, ANT lacking format. All in all a good read though.
    I expect Enchantress to do pretty well at the GP as well. Lands can do well, but has to push through a lot of hate. For a lot of players who haven't had a ton of exposure to the format, I expect them to use GY hate as their SB filler, and while Lands can rebound nicely from even a well timed Crypt or Relic, it doesn't change the fact that it adds a few bumps in the road.

I'm surprised you really think Reanimator can be 9% of the field, even after the considerations of Ponders (or Preordains), and even Strategic Planning, which could be a powerhouse. The post-banning versions I've seen so far are making more than just a few subtle changes to make up for the lack of MT.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

very good article. I really appreciated the section on the key mistakes of ANT and Zoo and which one would be more visible thus leading to the preceived notion of bad player.

Also if your predictions are correct for GP columbus I'm going to a very very happy person!!

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    FYI: I give predicted metagame percentages for each of those archetypes -- I just don't break them down like I do the other major archetypes (i.e. the 7-8 most popular archetypes).

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid- View Post

I'm surprised you really think Reanimator can be 9% of the field, even after the considerations of Ponders (or Preordains), and even Strategic Planning, which could be a powerhouse. The post-banning versions I've seen so far are making more than just a few subtle changes to make up for the lack of MT.
    Reanimator was so heavily played before the banning indicating that people had acquired the cards. I don't think the banning of MT was significant enough to put more than a dent into the Reanimator numbers. As I said, I'd be shocked if it was less than 5% of the field.

Really nice to finally see someone using an abstract instead of just a one-liner to present an article! Thank you.

I'll read it later today. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Grollub View Post
    Really nice to finally see someone using an abstract instead of just a one-liner to present an article! Thank you.

I'll read it later today. :-)

This article is very long, but the heart of it is a systematic analysis of the prevalence and performance of major archeypes. This data will be invaluable as folks prepare for the GP. IMO, there is no more valuable piece of information than an accurate metagame prediction, as all decisions from deck selection to deck design are informed by some assumption about the expected metagame.

Captain fucking Magic
    Dec 2004
    San Diego, CA

This was a great read. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to do this!

Thread Information