Thread: Alive Elves

Alive Elves

So apparently I'm not allowed to post this deck in the NO Elves thread but I've had fun testing it...or rather brainstorming since I can't download anything on my computer at work. There's a lot of synergies in the deck and there are still 22-26 elves in the deck (depending on how you count them) which provides for a solid beat down plan (keep in mind merfolk runs 20-25 merfolk). Game plans found below.

Lands: 18
    10 Green fetch
    4 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

Creatures: 27
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Priest of Titania
    4 Joraga Warcaller
    4 LLanowar Elves
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    3 Fauna Shaman
    1 Elvish Champion
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Viridian Zealot
    1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader

Protection: 3
    3 Mental Misstep

Combo: 13
    4 Intuition
    4 Natural Order
    3 Vengevine
    1 Progenitus
    1 Wonder

Plan 1: T1/2 Mana elf or green sun-> dryad arbor and Turn 3 Natural Order.
    Plan 2: T1 Mana elf t2 Intuition 3 vengvines/2+Wonder T3 Swings.
    Plan 2.5: T2 Fauna Shaman->T3 Pitch Vengevine for lord bring it back play 2 elves play lord next turn.
    Plan 3: Play Lots of Elves and Search up Lords or Ezuri to win.

Advantages of Vengevine Plan:
    Obviously devastating if buried alive is played on turn 2/3 against everything but combo.
    Helps the deck out alot vs. mass removal (such as plague/firespout) which are big problems. You only need 2 creatures to really recover.
    Vengevine+fauna shaman play nice together creating card advantage.
    Shaman is an elf so it gets pumped/counts as mana with archdruid.
    Shaman makes the gsz toolbox more reliable (you still need to find a gsz/shaman and have it not be countered to deal with that moat...shaman helps here).
    Shaman pitches progenitus's stuck in your hand.

Downsides:
    Vengevine and to a much lesser extent shaman are subpar on their own.
    Vengvine and buried alive are not elves...so sylvan messenger I feel isn't worth including (big negative...but keep in mind buried alive is card advantage).
    The deck is now 2-3 colors, so opposing wastelands are relevent (This is somewhat mitigated by 7 mana dorks, and 4 gsz).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by kinda; 05-04-2011 at 02:26 AM.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Re: Alive Elves

Why not Intuition instead of Buried Alive?
    It seems that being able to tutor for what you want, instead of just working with Vengevine makes Intuition a better card here...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Oct 2010
    Ventura, CA

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    Why not Intuition instead of Buried Alive?
    It seems that being able to tutor for what you want, instead of just working with Vengevine makes Intuition a better card here...
    Matt Nass made a list utilizing Intuition in an elf shell recently and he did really well with it. I'm too lazy to look it up right now but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find.

@ Scatman: Yeah that seems good.
    With intuition you could run dread return, :D (joke).

@ Jabari: That's a combo elves list and I want nothing to do with that deck now that mental misstep is soon to be legal.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

@Kinda:
    Look at the deck before you dismiss it. If you're falling into Misstep hysteria you'll be the poorer for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    @Kinda:
    Look at the deck before you dismiss it. If you're falling into Misstep hysteria you'll be the poorer for it.
    LSV said that high tide is pretty much dead now because of misstep...now I don't feel as though that's entirely accurate, but glimpse elves has the same problem.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    LSV said that high tide is pretty much dead now because of misstep...now I don't feel as though that's entirely accurate, but glimpse elves has the same problem.
    Glimpse Elves does not run counterspells. Usually, Spiral Tide run up to 7 free counterspells post-board. High Misstep, that number may go up.

@Elves: This list is about redundancy. Some decks may counter the 1st turn elf, but turn 4 Progenitus is still scary for some.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Dec 2010
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Let's not act like glimpse elf only has 1 way to win... Misstep doesn't affect elves much if you run intuition elves (which will probably be the right choice in the next meta), but you can still win with other versions (chord of calling/hivemaster comes to mind on top of my head)

I tested the deck tonight and realized the curve was too high. Included intution. List updated.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

@Misstep/Elves discussion
    Or, you know, beat down with a bunch of elves. That's a fairly reliable option.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Thread Information