Thread: [DECK] WG Maverick

Hybrid View

Apr 2010
    Milwaukee WI

[DECK] WG Maverick

Im thinking about sleeving this deck up. The goal is to play similar to the UW tempo list but subtract blue because the blue creatures are subpar and add in green because the creatures are stronger. Now with combo slower, we can focus on a deck that beats the crap out of aggro decks.

Card Choices:
    Noble- Awesome mana dork+ exalted. There is never really a time that I don't like seeing her
    Mom- Protects your stuff very well
    Wayfarer- Finds lands very nicely, works great at thinning the deck
    Tarmogoyf- Beater, I cut it down to three because I like seeing him, but not billions of him
    Pridemage- Great at taking out art/enchantments. Works very well understandstill
    Scryb- Merfolk hates him and works very well with all the activated abilities of creatures we control (double protection, double knights taps, double wayfarer) along with a counter to wasteland
    Stoneforge- because finding the right equipment is always good
    Knight- The finisher of the deck
    Eternal- Great at brining dead stuff back

StP- Dah
    Vail- Dah
    3 Equips- Dah
    2 Library- Need card advantage somehow. The potential life loss is negated by the life gain of the equipments provide.

Treetop- Sometimes its helpful to be able to grab it and beat with it. One of my favorite expressions is "ape ****" so i have to include it.
    horizon canopy- great interaction with wayfarer. Not a fan of the lifeloss, but ill get over it
    Gaea's- Very useful sometimes

Onto the sideboard-
    Tutor Package is always very, very handy.
    Teeg's are obviously for control decks.

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Weathered Wayfarer
    3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Eternal Witness

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Savannah
    4 Horizon Canopy
    4 Wasteland
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Treetop Village

Sideboard
    3 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Krosan Grip
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 ghostly prison
    1 runed halo
    1 Choke
    2 Relic of Progentious
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    Last edited by Svenanole; 07-08-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Apr 2010
    Tokyo, Japan

Re: [DECK] WG Maverick

Now I'm testing tihs deck after playing New Horizons and UW Tempo several months.

I have cut Scryb Ranger and Eternal Witness for some maindeck Path to Exile that would be answer to Grim Lavamancer. I feel 4*Swords aren't enough against Zoo.

Apr 2010
    Milwaukee WI

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    Now I'm testing tihs deck after playing New Horizons and UW Tempo several months.

I have cut Scryb Ranger and Eternal Witness for some maindeck Path to Exile that would be answer to Grim Lavamancer. I feel 4*Swords aren't enough against Zoo.
    i feel that scryb ranger is awesome vs anything non-zoo. The ability to double tap a creature is huge. Also, protection from blue is relivent with merfolk.

If you want a sideboard hoser for zoo look no further then perimeter captain. He was awesome with vail in my UW merfolk deck i was playing. Once you get two in play stuff just hits the fan. I am trying to make him fit in the sideboard somewhere. (I just copied the sideboard from somewhere and didnt really think of my own)
    Last edited by Svenanole; 07-08-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svenanole View Post
    Im thinking about sleeving this deck up. The goal is to play similar to the UW tempo list but subtract blue because the blue creatures are subpar and add in green because the creatures are stronger. Now with combo slower, we can focus on a deck that beats the crap out of aggro decks.

Card Choices:
    Noble- Awesome mana dork+ exalted. There is never really a time that I don't like seeing her
    Mom- Protects your stuff very well
    Wayfarer- Finds lands very nicely, works great at thinning the deck
    Tarmogoyf- Beater, I cut it down to three because I like seeing him, but not billions of him
    Pridemage- Great at taking out art/enchantments. Works very well understandstill
    Scryb- Merfolk hates him and works very well with all the activated abilities of creatures we control (double protection, double knights taps, double wayfarer) along with a counter to wasteland
    Stoneforge- because finding the right equipment is always good
    Knight- The finisher of the deck
    Eternal- Great at brining dead stuff back
    I prefer for the moment Birds of paradise because they fly and can carry a SOfi or Solas and make the trigers to triger. I thin this point is very important. I played this deck making three top8 and I don't need the use of tarmogoyf, it does nothing. Reliquary is the key I don't see this deck playing less than 4. Versus decks that rely on bolts and Fire and ice is really huge for them. Shackels normally can cath up becouse its size. I like the mom but I don't like opening with mom. I'd prefer to open with Wayfarer or vial is much harder to play arount him. Finding stone forge to get an equip is really important vs goblins and merfolks. I like minimum 3 Stoneforge mystics.

I don't understant why you cutted the karakas, it really helps with reanimator, the new emrakuls decks ( it's a thread that can't take out), vs merfolks and its kiras is a way to take them out.

In the side I don't really like 3 tutor because when you take out something and you enter tutor you are loosing a draw step. I found that I only really want to loose a drawstep with some decks like reanimator, combo, enchantresss o tombs.decks. For this reason I cutted out ghostly prision. Merfolks is normally a very good much up. We have lots of bombs to them. Vs goblins they'll play kgrip ( at 2n and 3d games) to rip out jitte and Sofi that breaks them out quickly. Vs tribal decks the really way to not loose is making pressure while throwing more threads to the table.

The list I'm running meanwhile is: http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=36741
    4 Birds of Paradise
    2 Eternal Witness
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Mother of Runes
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scryb Ranger
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Weathered Wayfarer
    instant [4]
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    enchantment [2]
    2 Sylvan Library
    artifact [7]
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    land [21]
    1 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    4 Savannah
    1 Treetop Village
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    60 cards

Sideboard:

1 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Krosan Grip
    3 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Tormod's Crypt

I don't know why there ara traps 'cause I think I take them out but with comb out I'd take them out.

My sideboard right now is :

1 Ethersworn Canonist ( is still help full vs enchant decks or elfs combo, and only is one slot)
    3 Gaddock Teeg ( enchant, stax, combo, control decks, no more to tell..)
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Aura of Silence ( this is a thread and a response at the same time, I'm thinking to play 2 because lots of decks relly on enchant artifacts)
    1 Ground Seal (loam decks would hate this)
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon ( oopss ! more to loam decks and dredge)
    1 Tormod's Crypt ( graveyard hate divided is good )
    1 choke ( blue decks, no merfolks)
    1 lighning grabes ( vs control matchups with lot of removal and vs lands and his maze of ith)
    1 card that I'm trying to find what to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain;
    The really problem is grim yes but I don't see cutting scry for more paht. You can play around his grim lavamancer. We hace lots of things like cuting red, throwing the stp or going for jitte and killing them.

Well, I'd like to disscuss so comments are welcome ;)

Apr 2010
    Milwaukee WI

thanks for the help-

1- Birds makes sense now
    2- Your right about goyf, doesnt really do much except beat face but most decks have ways to deal with him
    3- I dont really like wayfairer that much, but i think its because im playing him wrong
    4- Perimeter captain is a god vs aggro (to hard to remove)
    5- path is terrible synergy with wasteland
    6- your right about prison, its to easy of a target sideboard with running artifact hate
    7- What about Pithing Needle in the sideboard?
    8- Why no relics?
    9- Aura of silence makes sense
    10- Your right about Karakus, forgot about kira
    11- I am thinking about running the Natural Order package right now. This deck need a true finisher and i think that gives it to us, the only concern is getting it back into the deck after its drawn.

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

lol 3 goyf.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

This decklist is an almost exact copy of the lists from GW survival decks, but using Sylvan Library instead of survival of the fittest, and losing the Iona + Loyal Retainers combo.

My lists uses 4x Mox Diamond and 3x Tithe, but I have to try Wayfarer instead of Tithe to see which one works better.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

They could see the same because they share the same creatures but this deck is based on UW Tempo but with green instead of blue. The deck creator told me.

Sylvan library it's not the same as survival of the fittest they work the same way through gaining card advantage but they do it in a diferent way.

Thread Information