Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [DECK] WG Maverick

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: [DECK] WG Maverick

I'm playing the 4 GSZ versions, and it's been pretty good. Fauna gives you 4 more Teeqs though. And you can stick him on T3 through a T2 Fauna, which is fast enough against storm if you are on the play. If you are on the draw you can still catch the storm player if he is setting up the slower IGGY loop to ensure the auto kill. About grave dependancy, Fauna is an instant speed tutor. I don't go for the Iona combo if there is gravehate on the table. I just like the flexibility Fauna gives you. After board against aggro, I still keep in 1-2 Fauna to GSZ for because she is Gas. She turns Nobles, Moms and other bad lategame cards into KOTRs and pridemages.

If I have T1 Accel into T2 Fauna, I just leave Fauna unused T3, cast a goyf/KOTR and pass the turn. If my opponent does not immediately kill me the next turn/does not have gravehate, I EOT for Iona. Next turn activate for Retainers, get a Fat Iona on T4. If he does have gravehate/immediate threats like Jitte, I just look for Pridemage or whatever I need at that particular time. Fauna is a must kill for 2 mana, and that in itself has made her very valuable. If she gets fried before activating, that's fine for me as well.

I do admit Loyal Retainers is a pain to get, but I have one from my Survival days and it's been working well for me. The equipment package is very good too against midrange/aggro. I just prefer a rounded deck that can beat combo and do broken things as well.

May 2006
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by deviant View Post
    IMO, running 4 gsz's with 1 md teeg and then sideboarding more hatebears/splash hate (i.e. null rod, revoker) against storm is the best a deck like wg beats can do. If storm is so prevalent you keep actively losing to it, maybe another deck is a good idea..

Fauna shaman seems vulnerable, slow and mana intensive. It also makes the deck more gy dependant and even more so if you go the vengevine route. I don't like that as relic is already good against us at shrinking goyfs and kotrs. I personally feel very awkward about people bringing in gy hate against my wg beats deck and it being the right call..

My solution so far has been Mirran Crusader, in addition to the stoneforge package of jitte&sofi of course. I have been surprisingly pleased with cruisers, and when I know the correct cut, I will fit in the 3rd.

Show and Tell decks are amusing. Keeping a kotr in hand against them insures you don't lose to emrakul (if you suspect they would just counter it), and more often than not progenitus is just too slow. (maybe I'm blessed, but I consistently race turn 3-4 progenitus) Just set up equipment to help race and try to get one beater into play before they have the option to drop proggy. Then just bash and try to use jitte / swords to go over 20 so you can handle Big Daddy coming at your face twice. If you can't prevent them from dropping it, you have to set up racing it.

NO decks (that tend to blend in with S&T decks these days..) usually play lots of small green dudes, making setting up jitte your primary goal anyways. Of course just GSZ'ing teeg works just fine too.

And even though all the pross writing about legacy keep repeating the mantra "must be able to do broken stuff", it's just fine to be able to prevent the opponent from doing broken stuff also.
    hello,
    can you share or post the list your running right now ?

thanks

I've been reading this article for quite some time now especially when i was about to start my legacy build.. i ended up chossing WG as my primary colors basically..

although technically speaking, my WG build is not the same build as the traditional WG Maverick build focusing on mana disruption (Wasteland, W.Wayfarer, and KotR).

fur budget purposes (no access to wasteland), i ended up taking a different route on the WG Maverick by abusing more of CIB abilities of cards like Skyfisher, Flickwerwisp, and Oblivion Ring through Aether Vial.

I usually try to get rid of threats by bouncing or flickering back my cards so their cards will be put into oblivion permamently while at the same time replaying my cards.. they're usually a 2 for 1 scenario.. them losing 2 cards w/o me losing any cards.

in addition to that, i splashed black for disruption with Tidehollow Sculler. I know this should not fit in this category already but i can't fit my deck with rock and deadguy ale.. so, i think my deck is more of a WGb Maverick, or what i want to call Dark Maverick.

for me, it falls in this thread becasue the cards are usually the cards in WG Maverick but, again, a different route.

here's my list:

Creatures:
    3 x Knight of the Reliquary
    3 x Qasali Pridemage
    3 x Student of Warfare
    3 x Kor Skyfisher
    3 x Tidehollow Sculler
    2 x Stoneforge Mystic
    2 x Flickerwisp
    1 x Mother of Runes
    1 x Scryb Ranger
    1 x Reveillark
    1 x Shriekmaw

Spells:
    4 x Swords to Plowshares
    3 x Aether Vial (this should be 4)
    3 x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 x Oblivion Ring
    1 x Sylvan Library
    1 x Sword of Body and Mind
    1 x Behemoth Sledge

Lands: (22)
    2 x Horizon Canopy
    some fetches
    basics

i'll be playing my list this sunday for our local Duel for Duals..

i know i have a lot of 1-ofs but im trying not to let my opponents expect the usual "suspects" in a deck..

the Warfares are there for early pressure. KotRs are usually my finisher but with the SfM toolbox, i can do it using my SoBM.

what do u guys think?

or does it follow a DnT route?

thanks..

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

If you are running no duals due to a tight budget, I advise going 2 colours and not splash the black. You need a full set of canopies and at least 1 Temple Garden (replacement Savanna). You also really want a Jitte, Sofi is the best sword, but since it's 50 USD now, SOBAM is an ok replacement too. Behemoth sledge sucks, it's too slow. If you are on a budget, and can't afford Jitte/Sofi, Basilisk collar is good replacement. I saw a blink deck that runs Eternal Witness, Wall of Omens, Wall of Blossom, Mangara of corrondor and other ETB stuff that they can abuse with Flickerwisp, Stonecloaker and Ghostway. You might want to play that version. Good luck!

I like the idea of GSZ + Fauna Shaman, since one of the reasons I drifted away from playing Maverick was the helplessness game 1 against many kinds of decks. Having Teeg/Iona game 1 is very appealing. In my small amount of testing so far, Fauna Shaman->Iona seems to take an awful lot of time and resources to set up (especially if you only have 3 mana sources and cannot search+play retainers on turn 4 or if you have to GSZ the shaman out), but at least it gives you a chance game 1.

Mirran Crusader is also cool; dropping him turn 2 after Noble Hierarch can end games very quickly. Getting Jitte on him is also ridiculous. However, he doesn't really do anything the deck can't already do - the problem isn't that Maverick loses the combat step, it's that it doesn't pack counters/discard/other disruption to stop things like Storm, Enchantress, etc.

Here is the list I am testing:

4x Noble Hierarch
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Fauna Shaman
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    1x Iona
    1x Loyal Retainers
    1x Qasali Pridemage

4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Aether Vial
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

4x Windswept Heath
    2x Wooded Foothills
    4x Savanah
    4x Horizon Canopy
    4x Wasteland
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Plains
    1x Forest

SB
    4x Path to Exile
    4x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Serenity
    1x Choke
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    Last edited by studentofthegame; 05-04-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Thread Information