Page 46 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Spanish Inquisition (B/x Storm Combo)

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Re: [Deck] Spanish Inquisition (B/x Storm Combo)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Blood Pet
    4 Wild Cantor
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Tendrils of Agony

SB at this point consists of:

4 Carpet of Flowers
    4 Pact of Negation
    4 Autumn's Veil
    3 Goblin Charbelcher

The amount of free mana available is awesome. Manamorphose is an all-star. Culling is playable more often, and the lambs all provide mana also if you don't draw a Culling or you fizzle. Fishing this deck I often cast dudes and sac them for mana just for storm count and/or threshold for Cabal. I could see messing around with the 4 Tendrils though, maybe add an Empty or two, or even a (gasp!) Brain Freeze.

Carpet in this deck should be a no brainer, as should Belcher. Pact catches more people off guard than this deck does in general, and Guttural is castable off either Spirit Guide as a pseudo-Force Probe gives you information Veil is still better.
    Interesting list. SSG/ESG is a lot of Daze protection, and those Bloodpets are good with Mox for pass the turn plays. I see the appeal of playing Landless but no Belcher's in the maindeck? Anyone who knows the deck will surely board in Pithing Needle expecting Belcher. Given 4 IT, I'd put a single Empty the Warrens in there, and experiment with a Recross the Paths. Stacking the deck without lands and multiple green sources sounds pretty good. It would probably be even better post-board since it gives you inevitability if you stack the deck with a couple Pacts before going off.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Interesting list. SSG/ESG is a lot of Daze protection, and those Bloodpets are good with Mox for pass the turn plays. I see the appeal of playing Landless but no Belcher's in the maindeck? Anyone who knows the deck will surely board in Pithing Needle expecting Belcher. Given 4 IT, I'd put a single Empty the Warrens in there, and experiment with a Recross the Paths. Stacking the deck without lands and multiple green sources sounds pretty good. It would probably be even better post-board since it gives you inevitability if you stack the deck with a couple Pacts before going off.
    Sadly, after some fishing, I'm going back to Pact. And Blooms. Not enough initial mana in this list.

But Recross the Paths sounds interesting...

Jun 2010
    Central NY

So, once again... I'm back.
    And of course, I have yet another list. (I think I post too many of these, but...)

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Ornithopter
    2 Phyrexian Walker

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Regrowth
    2 Goblin Charbelcher

SB:

4 Lotus Bloom
    4 Carpet of Flowers
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Storm Entity

Opal looks much better with the new legend rule, multiples function as Lotus Petals.
    Regrowth is just nuts. As your graveyard gets bigger it can turn into Demonic Tutor.
    Storm Entity is an alternate win condition that is unaffected by Leyline and Flusterstorm.

Edit: SSG could also be Abrupt Decay or Void Snare if you wanted answers for permanent-based hate.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hello. I've been playing this deck for over a year now, and I would really like to see it in the main stage some time, it's definetely a good deck.
    I'm currently running the Robot Version because I grow tired of dying to my own pacts (maybe are bad plays by me though)
    Do you think abrupt Decay may have a home in SB for the Robot Version? Specially against pesky stuff life f**cking counterbalance. I'm still torn on which 15 cards to put on Sideboard.

current list:

Sorcery (27)
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Cruel Bargain
    1x Empty the Warrens
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    1x Ill-Gotten Gains
    4x Infernal Contract
    4x Infernal Tutor
    4x Land Grant
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    Land (2)
    1x Bayou
    1x Dryad Arbor
    Artifact (15)
    4x Chrome Mox
    2x Goblin Charbelcher
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal
    1x Mox Opal
    Instant (11)
    3x Cabal Ritual
    4x Culling the Weak
    4x Dark Ritual
    Creature (6)
    2x Phyrexian Walker
    4x Shield Sphere

Also I'm Building UW Miracles in order to playtest a lot against blue.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Wow.. that does change things. Mox Opal is incredible now. With the extra perpetual mana sources, I'm thinking that SDT could be pretty damn good. Also, robots and Therapies. The question is, how to fit it all into one list. I'll work on something and post it when I get a chance.

I don't think green is necessary unless you want to run the Pact-package. Regrowth is good, but I think often its not going to be worth it to waste space on ESGs.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

How should I go about playtesting vs various decks? It wouldn't be an issue of anyone else I knew played legacy, but they do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    How should I go about playtesting vs various decks? It wouldn't be an issue of anyone else I knew played legacy, but they do not.
    Im not sure i ubderstood your question but if you are starting with the deck i think that goldfishing is a good first step.

Im in that stage. i'm goldfishing 10-12 hands per day in order to indetify which are t1 or t2 win hands and which cards are target of sideboarthing.

in my playtest, i found this question:

Which is the number of 4 cmc cards?

Im trying a list with 4 tendrils, 1 belcher and 1 igg.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    Im not sure i ubderstood your question but if you are starting with the deck i think that goldfishing is a good first step.

Im in that stage. i'm goldfishing 10-12 hands per day in order to indetify which are t1 or t2 win hands and which cards are target of sideboarthing.

in my playtest, i found this question:

Which is the number of 4 cmc cards?

Im trying a list with 4 tendrils, 1 belcher and 1 igg.
    Thank you for the reply, I'm talking about learning to play around counterspells, and other situations that would affect play.

Maybe if you share your list it could help

Enviado desde mi XT890 mediante Tapatalk

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

has anyone checked out ballinMD decklist at salvation?

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

I've been toying around with Noxious Revival. Could be useful for returning a ritual if we are running short of gas, and may also provide free storm count.

@owerbart:

Would you mind sharing that list?

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucipher2k View Post
    @owerbart:

Would you mind sharing that list?
    I'm still trying to fine tune it. The problem is I still don't know what are the best things to cut.

I'm also trying the Kobold Version. If we forgo Mox Opals then Robots can be cut for 0 mana cost Kobolds, which improves our chrome moxes. Maybe a Black-Red version with burning wishes and some red rituals?

Also I'm still convinced that Death Wish may be a greater card than it is.

4 simian spirit guide
    4 lotus petal
    4 chrome mix
    4 mana morphos
    4 rite of flame
    4 dark ritual
    4 culling the week
    4 land grant
    4 cabal ritual
    1 taiga
    8 cobalds
    8 draw x4
    4 burning wish
    3 goblin charbelcher

Just an idea.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by byes View Post
    4 simian spirit guide
    4 lotus petal
    4 chrome mix
    4 mana morphos
    4 rite of flame
    4 dark ritual
    4 culling the week
    4 land grant
    4 cabal ritual
    1 taiga
    8 cobalds
    8 draw x4
    4 burning wish
    3 goblin charbelcher

Just an idea.
    I don't think you can part from the bayou and the LEDs. Also only one wincon?

Still, interesting idea, i'll sleeve it and try it out.

The burning wish find any number of wincons from the side board as well as more draw and answers. Bayou may be right haven't tried it yet just needing red allows for color fixing and our main wincons main deck. I want led as well especially with the wish just not sure where to fit them in.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hi. So after some testing, I decided to bring to my LGS a kind of "updated" version of Roger Riera's Spanish Inquisition featuring Death Wish. The card requires a little bit of a more stable manabase, so I had to part with the Dryad Arbor in favor of a second Bayou, I came back to play with 7 Tall Men in order to replace the creature cull, and I went 2 and 2 with Death Wish and Infernal Tutor.

Benefits of Deathwish:

1. You don't need to empty your hand, so it's not that much dependant on LED
    2. Finds you ANY card, unlike Burning Wish.
    3. You don't have to reveal a damn thing.

Point 2 IMO is one of the greatest benefits due to the fact that the card now grants a deck a silver bullet sideboard. Of course you play with 1 Tendrils, 1 Empty and 1 Charbelcher in SB so you can wish for them, but also you can play with your regular sideboard which can be devastating if you can bring some of your silver bullet pieces in Game 1.

My report:

R1 Against Miracles.

G1: I probed him on the play and realized he was on Miracles. I went Land Grant searching for a Bayou and Therapied his spell pierce, and Turn 4 I'm able to activate a Goblin Charbelcher with my two Bayous out and a Triple Therapy.
    G2: He goes top and go. I go for T1 Carpet of Flowers which gets FoW'd I drop a LED and pass, and next turn a Tomb of Urami starts smacking.

R2 Against 4 Color Loam.

G1: I know that he's on loam, so I just goldfish T1. My first Cruel Bargain gives me an overkill tendrils.
    G2: He goes T1 Mox, Taiga, Chalice on 0 and Chalice at 1. Damn. I play a bayou which Luckily doesn't eat a wasteland next turn. T3 I believe he drops a Liliana who ticks up but I discard useless stuff, and he can't find any pressure to put on the table. In my T3 I go Land Grant, Bayou, Cabal Ritual, Death Wish, going for my SB Tomb of Urami. He wastes it so I'm back at two lands. Like T7 I'm able to activate a Goblin Charbelcher through 2 topdecked Cabal Rituals (with Threshold in part due to Liliana) and the game is over.

R3 Against Merfolks
    G1: I go turn 1 probe, therapy removing the pesky Cursecatcher. I believe T3 I activate a Belcher which luckily didn't revealed my second Land.
    G2: T1 Cursecatcher + FoW, Daze, Spell pierce, I'm never able to find anything and I die to the fishmen.
    G3: I'm pretty sure I fucked up my sideboard here, because to be honest I think that boarding in Carpet of Flowers is a mistake. I therapy him, he has nothing T1, so I decided to go all in after a mulligan. I find a belcher but no real ways to activate it, and Cursecatcher + heavy countermagic kills me.

R4 Against Death and Taxes.
    G1: I know he's on Death and Taxes, so I don't even waste a turn trying to therapying him, and go comfortably for 12 Goblin Tokens which I sac one to remove his Lady Gaga (Stoneforge Mystic) and he can't do anything
    G2: Since I'm one of the few people who plays combo I'm not expecting any real defence like Mindbreak Trap. He goes T1 Vial and laughs because he can't do anything. I therapy him T1 removing Thalia and I Belch him with all my lands out T3.

Final standings:

1. R/g Goblins (MD Blood Moon raped a lot of people, they told me)
    2. Merfolks
    3. Spanish Inquisition (Me)
    4. Death and Taxes
    5. BUG Delver
    6. Miracles
    7. RUG Delver
    8. BUG Delver
    9. 4 Color Loam
    10. ANT
    11. RUG Delver
    12. UR Delver (The deck looks busted without Cruise)
    13. Deathblade
    14. Death and Taxes
    15. Grixis Delver

Death Wish is an interesting tool which can be great for the right meta calls. I wish I had a Forest in my sideboard, but with the 3 boarded wincons + the manplan there's not a lot of space :(

Nicely done. The list I know from years ago looks like:

// Lands
    2 Bayou

// Creature
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Shield Sphere

// Instants & Sorceries
    4 Land Grant
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Infernal Tutor
    3 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Death Wish

// Artifacts
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Goblin Charbelcher

SB:
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Goblin Charbelcher
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Naturalize
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Tomb of Urami

I'm curious to see the layout besides what I assume are a couple Probes and a Mox Opal.

@owerbart: Congrats on the results, nice to see a SI in the top 3. :) Do you played a similar list posted above by LOLWut?

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Wow.. that does change things. Mox Opal is incredible now. With the extra perpetual mana sources, I'm thinking that SDT could be pretty damn good. Also, robots and Therapies. The question is, how to fit it all into one list. I'll work on something and post it when I get a chance.

I don't think green is necessary unless you want to run the Pact-package. Regrowth is good, but I think often its not going to be worth it to waste space on ESGs.
    Indeed. Regrowth isn't as good as Noxious Revival could be, I think. ESG/SSG also aren't worth the space, IMO.

I want to add land to my list, but... Charbelcher. Chrome Mox isn't as good in my artifact-based list, however. But they are free storm count when dropped without imprint. As if storm count is ever a problem...

What I really want for this deck is either/both of: another black ritual, or another draw4. I'll drop all the cute tricks in the world for a basic list with one of those replacing all the other hoops we have to jump through with this deck.

EDIT: Anyone have opinions/testing results with Storm Entity?

Thread Information