Page 60 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1284

Thread: [Deck] Spanish Inquisition (B/x Storm Combo)

Apr 2009
    UK

Re: [Deck] Spanish Inquisition (B/x Storm Combo)

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    So after all you would take psi over belcher?
    If you want to top-8 some mid-sized tournaments, bring Belcher. It is more consistent, and far easier to play, both of which are important in larger tournaments.

If you want a pet deck to occassionally smash your local meta, play SI. It's far more fun to play and has a higher skill cap, both of which are important for more casual play.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Requiem View Post

If you want a pet deck to occassionally smash your local meta, play SI. It's far more fun to play and has a higher skill cap, both of which are important for more casual play.
    Sad to read this.

Apr 2009
    UK

This is interesting.

Because I want to be able to drop real lands against blue (and avoid showing them my hand), I don't play Belcher in my 75. And ever since I lost a round 4 match (and a cut of the prizes) to Surgical on Tendrils with no alternate win condition, I faithfully sideboard Empty the Warrens in for games 2 & 3.

But EtW isn't actually a great card for PSI. It's the wrong colour, plays poorly with Pact, and is typically a dead draw. Even when you do use it, it seems like half the time your opponent finds an out. Or just races you - we're not TES, and dumping Goblins after a D4 is not terribly strong.

Is this card an alternative? Obviously, the mana efficiency sucks; you need 8 mana to fetch and cast Tendrils from the board. But, it imprints for black and can grab you business or combo parts if you have loads of mana and no action, all while giving you an out to Surgical.

It's something to play-test, at least, which is not something that SI gets every set.

Mar 2008
    Boa Vista RR (in the brazilian jungle)

This is interesting.

Because I want to be able to drop real lands against blue (and avoid showing them my hand), I don't play Belcher in my 75. And ever since I lost a round 4 match (and a cut of the prizes) to Surgical on Tendrils with no alternate win condition, I faithfully sideboard Empty the Warrens in for games 2 & 3.
    You will love Death Wish

Apr 2009
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by the resurrection View Post
    You will love Death Wish
    Not really. There are already times when I can't cast any more D4's due to being on 1 life (or I know they are holding Bolt, or whatever). Death Wish suffers from that same problem.

And Death Wish exiles itself, so lines like mana > Mastermind's Aquisition > Past in Flames > mana > Mastermind's Aquisition > Tendrils of Agony don't work.

4 mana on-color Burning Wish which does not exile itself and can be used as a Diabolic Tutor in borderline cases. Versatile but not mana efficient.

My initial thought:
    If you want to play a non-belcher non-EtW non-BW build, a 7 swamp SI-TES build would be a good starting point. Here is an old list I found:

Sorcery (21)
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Cruel Bargain
    1x Ill-Gotten Gains
    4x Infernal Contract
    4x Infernal Tutor
    4x Tendrils of Agony

Instant (12)
    4x Cabal Ritual
    4x Culling the Weak
    4x Dark Ritual

Artifact (12)
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal

Creature (8)
    4x Crimson Kobolds
    4x Crookshank Kobolds

Land (7)
    7x Swamp

Sideboard (15)
    4x Lotus Bloom
    4x Slaughter Pact
    4x Tomb of Urami
    3x Leyline of the Void

It's a tight 75, but you should be able to squeeze a 1-of in by moving 1 Tendrils to the SB?

I am *sorely* tempted to buy LED's just to play this deck since it seems like the kind of fun pet deck I'd love to fuck around with.
    Is the PSI list in OP still up to date?

Apr 2009
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by SellaNona View Post
    I am *sorely* tempted to buy LED's just to play this deck since it seems like the kind of fun pet deck I'd love to fuck around with.
    Is the PSI list in OP still up to date?
    Swap Odious Trow for Deathrite Shaman and it's a solid starting point.

Alternative try an updated (ie, Mox Opal) version of the Land Grant list; it's nearly as fast as PSI, but it recovers better because you don't die to Pact triggers. Just taking the list in the primer and dropping Cabal Therapy for Mox Opal is a reasonable place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    4 mana on-color Burning Wish which does not exile itself and can be used as a Diabolic Tutor in borderline cases. Versatile but not mana efficient.

My initial thought:
    If you want to play a non-belcher non-EtW non-BW build, a 7 swamp SI-TES build would be a good starting point. Here is an old list I found:

Sorcery (21)
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Cruel Bargain
    1x Ill-Gotten Gains
    4x Infernal Contract
    4x Infernal Tutor
    4x Tendrils of Agony

Instant (12)
    4x Cabal Ritual
    4x Culling the Weak
    4x Dark Ritual

Artifact (12)
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal

Creature (8)
    4x Crimson Kobolds
    4x Crookshank Kobolds

Land (7)
    7x Swamp

Sideboard (15)
    4x Lotus Bloom
    4x Slaughter Pact
    4x Tomb of Urami
    3x Leyline of the Void

It's a tight 75, but you should be able to squeeze a 1-of in by moving 1 Tendrils to the SB?
    It's still the best list fwiw, you don't have to play Ill Gotten Gains if you want to play an Empty the Warrens or Past in Flames instead, the redundant Tendrils of Agony are really too important for goldfishing off of a Draw 4 chain or 2xTendrils plays.

Swap Odious Trow for Deathrite Shaman and it's a solid starting point.

Alternative try an updated (ie, Mox Opal) version of the Land Grant list; it's nearly as fast as PSI, but it recovers better because you don't die to Pact triggers. Just taking the list in the primer and dropping Cabal Therapy for Mox Opal is a reasonable place to start.
    Sorely tempted to try Land Grant but LEDs plus a playset of Mox Opals are a bit too expensive. Would also have to pick up a second Bayou although I really should be doing that anyways

Quote Originally Posted by SellaNona View Post
    Sorely tempted to try Land Grant but LEDs plus a playset of Mox Opals are a bit too expensive. Would also have to pick up a second Bayou although I really should be doing that anyways
    Here's a 1x Bayou, 4x Ad Nauseam build:

Artifact (20)
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Goblin Charbelcher
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Mox Opal

Creature (10)
    4x Memnite
    4x Ornithopter
    2x Phyrexian Walker

Instant (16)
    4x Ad Nauseam
    4x Cabal Ritual
    4x Culling the Weak
    4x Dark Ritual

Sorcery (13)
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Infernal Tutor
    4x Land Grant
    1x Tendrils of Agony

Land (1)
    1x Bayou

Sideboard (15)
    3x Leyline of the Void
    4x Nature's Claim
    4x Slaughter Pact
    4x Xantid Swarm

I guess I'll just start by buying my LEDs and then see if I'll make enough over the next few months to afford the Land Grant version~

Apr 2009
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post

My initial thought:

Sorcery (21)
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Cruel Bargain
    1x Ill-Gotten Gains
    4x Infernal Contract
    4x Infernal Tutor
    4x Tendrils of Agony

Instant (12)
    4x Cabal Ritual
    4x Culling the Weak
    4x Dark Ritual

Artifact (12)
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal

Creature (8)
    4x Crimson Kobolds
    4x Crookshank Kobolds

Land (7)
    7x Swamp

Sideboard (15)
    4x Lotus Bloom
    4x Slaughter Pact
    4x Tomb of Urami
    3x Leyline of the Void

Although I play PSI, this is quite similar to what my deck looks like after sideboarding. I am grudgingly coming around to the fact that Pact probably weakens the deck more than it strengthens it. I suspect that, overall, the push for T1 'wins' has distacted from what is otherwise a very strong engine.

I wonder if the most competitive incarnation of SI will be aiming for a T2 win backed a disruption package.

Apr 2009
    UK

Heresy of the day: PSI is no longer the fastest version of Spanish Inquisition

Broadly speaking the historical difference between Pact Spanish Inquisition (PSI) and traditional SI (TSI) was 12 cards:

-4 Cabal Therapy
    -4 Shield Sphere
    -4 Phyrexian Walker

4 Summoner’s Pact
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Odious Trow
    1 Wild Cantor
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Dryad Arbor

Of these 12 cards, eight (Pact & ESG) produce mana. Having an additional 13% of your deck devoted to producing mana explains why PSI has historically been the fastest, most explosive version of Spanish Inquisition. But that explosiveness came at a cost.

The obvious cost is the complete lack of protection, but that’s not actually much of a drawback when you don’t intend to let your opponent play any cards. Instead, the drawback came in the following forms:

1) Pact locks you out of pass-the-turn plays. Once you cast Pact, you have to with that turn, which closes down a number of lines of play. Empty the Warrens becomes a dead card, and you can't retry a failed D4 chain or Belcher activation.

2) Culling the Weak becomes less efficient. In PSI, all your creatures cost 1 mana, even Dryad Arbor, although that cost comes in the form of not being able to play a mana producing land in the same turn. This means that Culling the Weak goes from +3 mana in TSI to +2 mana in PSI.

3) Mana management becomes harder. Producing a lot of green mana is not terribly helpful if what you need is a lot of black mana. Other than paying the occasional colourless cost on Cabal Ritual or the like, the green mana has to be filtered through Wild Cantor or Manamorphose before it becomes truly useful. This is especially true at the start of the chain (as at the end of the chain both Belcher and Tendrils have a colourless component to the cost).

4) Goblin Charbelcher becomes less reliable. In order to reliably find a Culling target, PSI has to play Dryad Arbor. Sure, other builds may choose to include Arbor, but PSI needs it. This reduces the odds of any given Charbelcher activation actually producing a kill, unless you have managed to draw both of your lands prior to activation. And as a failed activation may involve you dying to your Pact trigger, you may not get a second chance.

Overall, these drawbacks were worth the additional speed that PSI brought to the table. Now, however, things have changed. At this point, the difference PSI and TSI (updated) is these 12 cards:

-4 Mox Opal
    -4 Shield Sphere
    -4 Phyrexian Walker

4 Summoner’s Pact
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Wild Cantor
    1 Skullwinder
    1 Dryad Arbor

Instead of eight more mana producing cards, PSI only has four more. Taking into account the additional +4 mana produced by Culling the Weak (across four copies) when 0 cc creatures are used, TSI actually produces the same amount of mana as PSI, without any of the drawbacks that comes from producing off-colour mana or Pact triggers.

I believe that there are other benefits (and some disadvantages) to a Mox Opal SI build, but my focus here is just the speed. The results of my testing support the theory-crafting, and in addition, far more of my 'losses' are clear wins on the following turns.

Clearly, more testing, and actually tournament results, are needed. Sideboarding, in particular, needs to be reconsidered as there is an additional synergy to consider when adding or removing cards. But as much as I miss the crazy lines of play from Pact, the Mox Opal build feels much stronger.

Thoughts?

Apr 2009
    UK

Hmmm. Not a lot of activity on this thread right now.

I've gone back and reread this thread entirely. It's about the third time I've done that over the years, and it is always interesting to see the development of the deck, and the issues that crop up as the meta changes.

Anyway, I'd like some advice regarding two alternate decks that I've been testing. Having come around to the idea that Pact/Belcher is not really the best way forward in any meta with a reasonable amount of U, I'm now looking at more traditional builds. I have put the differences in card choice in CAPS for emphasis.

Artifact SI

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak

4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Infernal Tutor
    3 TENDRILS OF AGONY
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 MOX OPAL

4 SHIELD SPHERE
    4 PHYREXIAN WALKER

4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Swamps
    1 Dryad Arbor

Or alternatively|

Kobold SI

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak

4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 TENDRILS OF AGONY
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    4 Cabal Therapy

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

3 CRIMSON KOBOLDS
    3 CROOKSHANK KOBOLDS
    1 FLEX SLOT

4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Swamps
    1 Dryad Arbor

The Verdant Catacombs are there in each deck to access Dryad Arbor, and also allow a G splash out of the sideboard for dealing with Chalice of the Void.

Now, Artifact SI is the faster of these two decks. I would say it is on par with PSI, as PSI runs +8 green mana sources, whereas this deck runs +4 multicolor mana sources and gets +1 black mana from each Culling the Weak. Certainly, testing has shown it to be very similar. With more testing, I could probably drop one, or even two, artifact creatures to get the same flex slot as Kobold SI, but I just don't know yet.

On the other hand, Kobold SI, while slower and without the ability to perma-tank a Goblin Guide or a Snapcaster Mage, is still very fast. It also offers some absolutely disgusting opening hands in terms of Cabal Therapy and Kobolds that can buy you a great deal more time than you lose in speed. In that sense, it is a little harder for your opponents to know what kind of hand to keep - mull into hate because you will be fast, or will that just mean your hand get's torn to nothing by discard?

Even more of an advantage is the saved sideboard space. Since Artifact SI will want Cabal Therapy (and probably Duress) from the side for the U matchup, it has 4 fewer spots than Kobold SI. This allows KSI to shore up another matchup, such as by bringing in Leyline of the Void for Reanimator/Dredge matches.

Of these two approaches, which seems more promising, and why?

Before I put this deck to the side I was planning to play this list:

SAINT

4 Shieldsphere
    2 Ornithopter
    4 Phyrexian Walker

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Culling The Weak
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Land Grant

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Ad Nauseum Tendrils
    4 Infernal Tutor

1 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Goblin Charbelcher

1 Bayou

Sideboard

4 Nature's Claim
    4 Xantid Swarm
    3 Leyline of the Void
    4 Slaughter Pact

But I follow your reasoning to play without the Pacts and without the land grant.

You can use this example sideboard for your deck but probably with 1 Bayou in the side. (isn't a bayou interesting to have main? Instead of a swamp?)

As you can see above, I was also playing a list with maindeck cabals for that extra durability. So I would prefer your Kobold list, especially because, KOBOLDS! :-D

But what would you use in the flex slot? A past in flames maybe? Since you can/will be playing EtW as well.

I don't agree with using fetchlands over Vault of Whispers in a Mox Opal list, but if you're interested in actually playing Magic as opposed to gold fishing then the Kobold list is easily better as Kobolds have more utility than Robots as Chrome Mox imprints in and of themselves - furthermore the red mana can be expanded on for SB configurations like 4 Empty the Warrens and Simian Spirit Guides.

The Dryad Arbor seems really unnecessary, IMO, as well as Abrupt Decay considering the decks that play Chalice of the Void usually don't play counter spells as well. Ill Gotten Gains hasn't been a consistent win condition since Deathrite Shaman was printed, I wouldn't bother MDing it over say an Empty the Warrens just for the 6 mana "whoops, I win" lines.

If you want to practically play the deck, the truth of the matter is lands, kobolds and Cabal Therapys are your friends.

Apr 2009
    UK

Thank you both for your responses.

But I follow your reasoning to play without the Pacts and without the land grant.

You can use this example sideboard for your deck but probably with 1 Bayou in the side. (isn't a bayou interesting to have main? Instead of a swamp?)

As you can see above, I was also playing a list with maindeck cabals for that extra durability. So I would prefer your Kobold list, especially because, KOBOLDS! :-D

But what would you use in the flex slot? A past in flames maybe? Since you can/will be playing EtW as well.
    I think Bayou is actually a really good idea for the Mox Opal list. Sideboard space is more limited, and the deck is still trying to go off as fast as possible, so Wasteland is not an issue.

For the Kobold list, I think Bayou in the main in probably wrong. In order to try and duplicate the in-game effects of Cabal Therapy, I have been goldfishing on the assumption that my opponent was going to make a game winning play on their second turn (Thalia, Gaddock Teg, Counterspell mana, etc), so I need to go off before their second turn. However, if I can hit them with Cabal Therapy before their second turn, I give myself +1 turn to go off on the basis that they won't be able to shut me down until their third turn.

Goldfishing like this has been very interesting. I often find myself wanting to play out one (or even two, on the play) lands as recurring resources that help fuel the turn 3 combo. This means I want to drop lands that can't be hit by Wasteland, making Swamps the stronger choice. Since I have plenty of sideboard space, this seems like the right call.

As for the flex slot, I'm thinking it ought to be a mana generator of some kind, with ESG/SSG being the obvious choice. KSI produces noticeably less mana than PSI or MSI, and the majority of failed D4 chains will fizzle due to lack of mana. So while I would absolutely put PiF in the side for the U matchup, I don't see it having a place in the maindeck over something that makes mana.

I don't agree with using fetchlands over Vault of Whispers in a Mox Opal list, but if you're interested in actually playing Magic as opposed to gold fishing then the Kobold list is easily better as Kobolds have more utility than Robots as Chrome Mox imprints in and of themselves - furthermore the red mana can be expanded on for SB configurations like 4 Empty the Warrens and Simian Spirit Guides.

The Dryad Arbor seems really unnecessary, IMO, as well as Abrupt Decay considering the decks that play Chalice of the Void usually don't play counter spells as well. Ill Gotten Gains hasn't been a consistent win condition since Deathrite Shaman was printed, I wouldn't bother MDing it over say an Empty the Warrens just for the 6 mana "whoops, I win" lines.

If you want to practically play the deck, the truth of the matter is lands, kobolds and Cabal Therapys are your friends.
    I've seen you advocate this in the past, but in my testing I just never felt the need for Vault of Whispers. Since the vulnerability to Wasteland becomes relevant in the grindy U matchup, I just don't see an advantage to including it when it has not generally been needed. Of course, if that then let me cut a couple of Tallmen for something (Cabal Therapy?) it could be a worthwhile trade-off. Something to test, then.

Kobolds imprinting on Chrome Mox is certainly relevant, but so is perma-blocking Goblin Guide, or Snapcaster Mage, or whatever other 2/2 creature they happen to have dropped. In general, I've not fell the 'loss' of imprinting power in MSI, simply because it already produces so much mana.

I agree that Dryad Arbor is unnecessary. But 'necessary' is a very strong word. I was originally testing 7 Swamps and 8 Kobolds, and I found that there were still some hands with Culling the Weak as my main acceleration, but no targets, while at the same time, once I got the D4 chain started, I was drawing into more Kobolds that I could use, and they were filling up my hand.

Dryad Arbor allows me to go up to 11 virtual Culling targets for the purposes of my opening hand, while at the same time letting me reduce the number of Kobolds in the deck. As a side benefit, a G splash off the board becomes possible, and I still have a Culling target that I can 'cast' with Chalice at 0. So not 'necessary', but I still find it useful.

I've not made a choice between Abrupt Decay and Nature's Claim; they each have advantages and disadvantages that I've not thoroughly tested yet. But Chalice of the Void is a common piece of hate, and one of the few that we can't race. PSI is often able to play through it, because the Culling engine is based on 1cc creatures (and Dryad Arbor), but that is not the case with these two builds. The Mox Opal version loses 50% of the deck if you count the loss of Culling the Weak for lack of targets.

I strongly disagree with you on Ill-Gotten Gains, which has given me a lot of wins. Deathrite is not a relevant play until turn 2, when you are hoping that your opponent will already be dead.

I think you're too focused on gold fishing and not focused enough on playing the deck, the problem with Dryad Arbor is that you are sacrificing a land in order to try to go off. This only compounds the value of their counter spells, where if you have a land still in play you can top deck your way out by drawing another D4 or going the 2xTendrils of Agony route. I think if you played Pact SI before the original lists, theres a lot of midgame to the deck that you probably missed out on.

Mox Opal lists don't "grind," the moment you cut Cabal Therapy then you're a gold fish deck. If you don't value imprinting Kobolds over chumping aggro decks you should be gold fishing against anyway, something tells me you aren't mulliganing aggressively enough. The functional utility of imprinting for mana, especially when you mulligan down, is way too high on the gold fish rate to ignore for easy mode vs vanilla aggro decks

Oil Sheikh
    May 2007
    Syracuse, NY

I play this deck on MODO still, occasionally. I have gone back to the list that BC posted almost a decade ago. I've found it is the most consistent for me (lol), but still is not very consistent. I've 4-1'd a few MODO events, but normally wind up 3-2. I just don't think this deck is consistent enough to truly become dominant. Here's my list

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Land Grant
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Bayou
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Empty the Warrens
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Infernal Contract
    1 Goblin Charbelcher

4 Xantid Swarm
    4 Tomb of Urami
    3 Tombstalker
    4 Duress

When I face blue I go -4 culling -8 tallmen -1 belcher -1 IGG -1 IT +15 SB

From my experience, I have literally never had deathrite shaman interfere with IGG (and there is a LOT of blue on MODO). I love having both copies of IGG, especially because I have gone turn 1 IGG to use as a discard 4. It's an expecially nice trick after imprinting a few things on chrome mox, and you likely get any rits you casted back.

EtW has also been useful for me, in increasing consistency. Often times the deck just fizzles (especially after discard), and you can't get a full storm for 10. EtW makes that okay, and 95% of the time, is just as good. A turn 1 EtW for 14 tokens is gg in 90% of cases, which is okay for me. I hope we get some new cards soon though, as I don't think this deck will be anything more than an above average pet deck until then. If I planned to do well in a large (7+) round tournament, I would not bring this deck. It is too inconsistent.

Thread Information