Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1284

Thread: [Deck] Spanish Inquisition (B/x Storm Combo)

Re: [Deck] Spanish Inquisition (B/x Storm Combo)

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Rotting Regisaur looks promising. over the Negator/Tombstalker slot.

If you want a partial man-plan, I'd play..

4 Carpet of Flowers
    4 Xantid Swarm/Pact of Negation
    4 Rotting Regisaur
    3 Tomb of Urami
    Hits hard, no evassion

I was playing very hard on cockatrice and i wonder....is sideboarding necesary except against blue?

maybe vs taxes? speed is the key...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    Hits hard, no evassion
    You are only boarding in the transformational sb package vs control heavy creature light decks. You dont need evasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    You are only boarding in the transformational sb package vs control heavy creature light decks. You dont need evasion.
    yeah...i am very concerned about sideboarding.

Actually i run

4 veil (blue based decks)
    3 dread of night (taxes)
    4 duress (other combos??)
    4 natures claim (leyline, really an issue???)

Is commander legands legal?

Demonic Lore came for us: draw 3, loose 2 for each card in hand at the end of turn

Thread seems kind of stale, anyone still brewing this?

Been goldfishing a pretty standard PSI list with 4 blex in place of infernal tutor, which I felt was the worst card in the deck for strict goldfishing. Also cut the flex slot stuff for echo of aeons to synergise with flex. Being able to pact into blex for either echo or another blex seems insane. Also replaced charbelchers for tendrils to feed the life costs of the deck

Possible ideas going forwards, we probably should be cutting down on d4 effects, since our card draw is pretty insane now, maybe add a real mana base.

EDIT: -4 infernal contract +4 infernal tutor seems to give me better goldfishing results. Deck is incredibly fun to pilot and has alot of lines even while goldfishing.

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

1 Slitherhead
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Wild Cantor
    1 Vine Dryad
    4 Blex, Vexing Pest

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Bayou

4 Summoner's Pact
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    3 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Land Grant
    4 Echo of Eons
    Last edited by asobitai; 04-19-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Wow.. Blex, Vexing Pest looks incredible. Draw 5 for 2BB seems quite good when you can find it with Summoner's Pact. Particularly since you can bin EoE with it.

Before I took PSI apart to play cEDH with my local metagame, I was testing Entomb as a 4'of with EoE. The list was faster than any i've ever played, and it could mulligan stronger than any list I've played. Worth looking into if you like EoE. I would have kept playing PSI if there was a Legacy metagame here in Santa Fe, but alas, not a single player. Entomb can also turn into removal for GB if you board in an Ancient Grudge and Ray of Revelation.

Entomb is like playing 8 EoE. Makes for quite a fast maindeck plan. It could be worth boarding them in if you can fit maindeck protection in like Xantid/Hope. Hope of Ghirapur and Wishclaw make it possible to play Mox Opal. Summoner's Pact can find Dryad Arbor for Mox Diamond as well, tho I've abandoned lists like that. Worth saying though since someone is still experimenting with PSI. The artifact lists haven't been too much better in my experience. Its not a preferred line but Entomb can bin a Narcomoeba to turn it into a creature for a single B mana for Culling the Weak.

My guess is that Blex is going to be a nice 2'of eventually. The draw is insane but you can save deck space by playing fewer considering Pact. I haven't tested it though so perhaps drawing 5 or what you need is better, also making resources to get fast Threshold for Cabal Ritual seems quite good.

The other thing I was testing with promising results was 2 Burnt Offering with 1-2 Skyshroud Cutters or 1 Skyshroud Cutter and 1 Vine Dryad. The list had so much mana. I'll have to look in my WordDoc notes and see if I still have it. I tried updating Cockatrice once and it destroyed all my lists. Sacrifice is another one thats playable. I tried Hooting Mongrels and the deck had more trouble filling the yard quick enough for it to be effective. Vine Dryad didn't have a density of green/black spells to remove without Blex so it might be better, and more copies of Blex might be better for that reason as well. After testing it a bunch, I found a single Cutter to be enough for a Burnt Offering almost as the 5th Culling the Weak. Then, if I wanted more Burnt Offerings, playing an extra Skyshroud Cutter increased consistency with 2 Burnt Offering. Its a bit too much deckspace tho.

Dropping Infernal Tutor is an excellent idea. I tried Death Wish for a while hoping to replace Infernal Tutor and it didn't work as well as EoE and Entomb, and Burnt Offering lists. A single Death Wish was okay but I dropped it eventually to save more deck space.

A card I've considered for the board that I hadn't before is Planar Void. Its a nice single B drop that shuts off quite a few strategies. The card is absolutely incredible in EDH and almost always draws countermagic or removal. I started playing it as a pseudo protection spell because it costs a single B. Leyline of the Void is good too but you need it in your opening hand or its a dead draw. Extra Planar Voids are easy to cast if the first one gets popped.

Chain of Smog and Witherbloom Apprentice also looks like either a nice sideboard plan, particularly when you can slow play it. You only need BBBG if you play it all in the same turn, or BG, then 1B. Easy to find with this deck, it usually has extra mana floating around. Summoner's Pact can be a combo piece or an ESG to dodge Daze or find Green.

EDIT:
    What do you think of Noxious Revival? Potentially costs 0 for 2 life. Its quite good in EDH, even as a 1'of.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

I think stuff like noxious revival, burnt offering etc are just too clunky to include. Even if they do improve the goldfish slightly they become alot worse when the opponent interacts in any way. The deck right now goldfishes alot better than old PSI and actually has a reasonably reliable t1 win.

The infernal tutors are better than infernal contracts I found. One line that is pretty common is cracking LED with pact on the stack, then you can go fetch Blex, and hitting an infernal tutor at that point is usually a win.

One interesting thing is during goldfishing I very rarely ran out of life. I think in a real game the life loss might actually come into play.

I think the deck is still too clunky, I would like to try -1 Blex, -1 EoE for some cheap cards that help smooth out the curve. Thinking about veil of summer, manamorphose or tinder wall, although maybe cutting the rest of the D4s and going all in on EoE and Blex might be more correct.

There is no reason to use Land Grant and only play one Bayou over Fetchlands, the Summoner's Pact package looks a lot more intereting with Blex though as it's not an awful Infernal Tutor target either. Summoner's Pact with LED is no joke now, one card just gave the archetype 5 more threats. Don't replace threats with Plex just supplement them with it instead, you aren't resolving more than one anyway and casting it without LED sucks.

Land grant vs fetch:

Advantages
    - can put under chrome mox
    - pitch to vine dryad, and force in sb
    - storm count
    - no life loss

Disadvantages-
    - reveals hand
    - vulnerable to duress/counters

Overall land grant goldfishes much better, but is worse vs interaction. I would argue thedeck is so fragile already theres little to gain from playing fetches. If you goldfish both versions you will see the scenarios where land grant is better come up very often. Also losing 1-2 life is surprisingly relevant.

If you goldfish the deck a bit you will quickly see that blex is totally fine without led and you often cast 2-3 a game. The d4s are much worse than Blex and doesnt synergise with the blex/eoe engine so I think cutting them is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by asobitai View Post
    Land grant vs fetch:

Advantages
    - can put under chrome mox
    - pitch to vine dryad, and force in sb
    - storm count
    - no life loss

Disadvantages-
    - reveals hand
    - vulnerable to duress/counters

Overall land grant goldfishes much better, but is worse vs interaction. I would argue thedeck is so fragile already theres little to gain from playing fetches. If you goldfish both versions you will see the scenarios where land grant is better come up very often. Also losing 1-2 life is surprisingly relevant.

If you goldfish the deck a bit you will quickly see that blex is totally fine without led and you often cast 2-3 a game. The d4s are much worse than Blex and doesnt synergise with the blex/eoe engine so I think cutting them is correct.
    I've been playing the deck off and on since it was invented, unless you are using Belchers then you are just adding one more thing to disrupt and playing with your hand face up for no tangible advantage - Lands are OP, play the deck instead of gold fishing it. Vine Dryad is pretty bad, play Sky Cutter and utilize the synergies in the deck instead of pitching cards.

Final Fortune, what is your current list with Blex?

Honestly when I play SI, my number 1 concern is my goldfish win rate. The deck is straight up worse than ant or tes t2 onwards. I think blex gives us a real chance of having a t1 kill rate that makes the deck actually worth playing.

I still dont see the advantage of fetches. All the disruption that works on fetches still works on your other cards. Could be a viable sideboard plan but atm i still prefer the land grant.

Skyshroud is much worse than vine dryad for me as Im commited to land grant. I also think 4x veil main is mandatory with echo of eons, otherwise we give our opponent too many shots at finding force, and echo is just too good with flex to cut.

I might go back to charbelcher. I originally vutthem for tendrils thinking i could use one mid combo for more life. In reality this just never happens, you don't have enough mana to waste 4 mana mid combo on a card that doesnt draw or make mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    Final Fortune, what is your current list with Blex?
    1 Echo of Eons
    4 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Culling the Meak
    4 Veil of Summer
    4 Summoner's Pact
    1 Blex, Vexing Pest
    1 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Skyshroud Cutter
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Bayou

Honestly when I play SI, my number 1 concern is my goldfish win rate. The deck is straight up worse than ant or tes t2 onwards. I think blex gives us a real chance of having a t1 kill rate that makes the deck actually worth playing.

I still dont see the advantage of fetches. All the disruption that works on fetches still works on your other cards. Could be a viable sideboard plan but atm i still prefer the land grant.

Skyshroud is much worse than vine dryad for me as Im commited to land grant. I also think 4x veil main is mandatory with echo of eons, otherwise we give our opponent too many shots at finding force, and echo is just too good with flex to cut.

I might go back to charbelcher. I originally vutthem for tendrils thinking i could use one mid combo for more life. In reality this just never happens, you don't have enough mana to waste 4 mana mid combo on a card that doesnt draw or make mana.
    I don't think you actually understand how to play this deck, and you're probably better off with Belcher or "Oops, All Spells" in that case. The threat of speed is to force virtual card advantage from your opponents via mulligans, the deck is really built to grind through matches (hint, most of the SB should be designed to jettison the Summoner's Pact package and Culling the Weak vs blue decks).

I hear what youre staying, and I know how the deck plays. I just don't think its very good, and the lack of results back this up. Sure, you can add lands and stuff to make the deck play more grindy, but then why are you not just playing ANT or TES? What Im suggesting is to take the deck the other direction, focus on speed and t1 wins, then there might actually be a reason to play this deck, instead of just being a pet project that is just a worse version of other storm decks.

Deck definitely does seem like it wants to be a worse TES with the fetches.

asobitai; your list that you posted feels really smooth when goldfishing. Cheers

It feels wrong playing this mana base without belcher but thats probably the right direction.

Maybe an actual sideboard would help grinding out those games 2 and 3

I hear what youre staying, and I know how the deck plays. I just don't think its very good, and the lack of results back this up. Sure, you can add lands and stuff to make the deck play more grindy, but then why are you not just playing ANT or TES? What Im suggesting is to take the deck the other direction, focus on speed and t1 wins, then there might actually be a reason to play this deck, instead of just being a pet project that is just a worse version of other storm decks.
    That narrative is all well and good in theory, until you actually run the numbers amd realize that the Land Grant version is only marginally faster in exchange for being significantly less stable. The deck has always been a pet deck, you need to embrace that as a fun aspect and take it as a challenge to be creative. It's Hipster Storm, but I would say it gives up a lot less of an edge than you think right now. TES back in TheManaDrain days was also a trash deck, until eventually it wasn't. New cards have a funny way of doing that.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Its worth saying that this deck isn't better than TES and TES isn't better than this one. Each established deck is contextual, good within a broad online metagame of potential matchups, a local metagame, and a 50+ pool of potential decks. Simply matching up statistics takes away one of the most important aspects this deck has always had going for it; surprise! Our chief weapon is surprise! Its not supposed to be that deck that everyone plays because its good. Shrouded in mystery, jokes, and inconsistency, it thrives as a fun alternative to Belcher or the other storm decks. Also, thats even without considering pilot skill; familiarity with risk/reward, mulligans, matchups, beyond turn 1, boarding, etc.

As a dark horse in a local metagame, I often went 2-2 or 3-1, and rarely 4-0. Heavy Threshold variants, SnT and stax at the time. I had no easy matchups. I used to test constantly against a friends BUG control deck with 3 FoW, Deed, Jace.. and I was able to go near even with him postboard with Carpet of Flowers and Duress.

But in 50+ events.. I only went to 4 events around the time when Legacy was thriving in my area; 2 events I had to drive all the way to LA from SD. I topped 8 at 2 of them, one in SD, one in LA.

I watched people mulligan to 4 postboard. The virtual card advantage you get from players having to mulligan scared shitless is why I wanted to play this deck, and of course the redundancy of card type in IMS, Acceleration, Business makes this deck still (one of) the best mulligans in all of legacy. Nobody knows just how dangerous it is or what you're packing in your board; safe mulligans into Pithing Needle don't get there, what do I do about how fast it is? Dark horses are scary. Also, I got to kill opponents playing Landstill with Phyrexian Negator; nothing is actually more satisfying than sideboarding into Xenomorphs when they get rid of all their ammo (see Alien 2 for more details).

Also, there is nothing scarier than 'my opponent is playing SI and they are keeping their opening 7 in game 2. Thats likely why boarding in a lot of 1cmc spells and mana sources is effective. I actually don't know if my opponent boarded in 15 and then boarded out the Pact/Culling package, or if they are slow playing with mana sources and grind, when its already explosive enough with Dark Ritual and LED as it is. My opponent is far more likely to mulligan in game 2/3, particularly if they see me keep the opening 7. You can bluff them with an okay hand into going to 5. Free Hymn to Tourach? That's definitely this deck.

EDIT:
    The flexibility of Blex makes me wonder about Children of Korlis. White might be slightly harder to find without Mox Opal.. I recall someone working on a list with Children of Korlis and Mox Opal, probably Mox Diamond as well, which makes Land Grants better, and technically Summoner's Pact if that's the line. The availability of business spells has never been so many with Pact/Blex as a line.
    Last edited by Vacrix; 05-01-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Thread Information