Thread: Blood Moon/ PoP + phase changing questions

Blood Moon/ PoP + phase changing questions

I have 2 questions that came up in the course of learning to play Zoo (at least, better than playing dorks and turning them sideways, hopefully):

First, I'm 99% sure of the answer to this, but for some reason it keeps coming up as a result of the MWS effect. If a Blood Moon effect is in play and someone plays Price of Progress, what is the net result (supposing, for example, I have 1 Taiga and 1 Plateau in play and my opponent has 2 Tundras and 1 Underground Sea? My interpretation is that Blood Moon checks every time state-based effects are checked without itself changing the supertype of affected cards, so a Price would deal 4 damage to the caster and 6 damage to the caster's opponent in the above scenario.

The second question, I have no idea of. If my opponent chooses to do something EOT, for example cast an instant or spin Sensei's Divining Top and I choose not to respond to the spell/ effect, will I get the opportunity again after it resolves but before the turn changes? For example, I declare I want to end my turn. My opponent chooses to spin top and I decide not to respond. He looks at 3 cards, rearranges them and puts them back. Is there a window of opportunity where I can do something before his turn begins? Or once the top effect resolves, is the turn over and his untap phase begins? As a second part to the question, supposing there is an opportunity for me to do something, does this opportunity happen at the end of every phase? Like, if it were my Precombat Main Phase, I declare I want to move to my Beginning of Combat phase. He tops end of phase and finishes. Now, can I do something else (having previously declared I want to move to my Beginning of Combat phase), or does the phase change?
    Great success!

Timmy-Spike-Melvin . . . . . Level 2 Judge

Dec 2009
    Vienna, Austria

Re: Blood Moon/ PoP + phase changing questions

1. You are right. Blood Moon changes the subtype of the lands (also known as land type). Blood moon does not change super types such as basic, snow, legendary etc. Every non-basic land will stay non basic under blood moon.

2a) A phase or a step ends, when all players pass priority while the stack is empty. So when the last item on the stack resolves, both players get an opportunity to do something.

2b) "End my turn" " I want to attack" are accepted shortcuts for "I will pass priority to you and we will both pass it until we reach the declare attackers step/your untap step"
    If your opponent decides to break this shortcut, by taking an action earlier than the mentioned step, the whole shortcut is stopped and does no further apply. The game resumes at the point where your opponent takes the action.

Lets explain it with this scenario, which is 100% legal:
    It's A's precombat mainphase.
    A: I use wasteland on your Tundra.
    B: float one blue. Tundra is destroyed.
    A: I want to attack.
    B: In your mainphase i use the blue mana to spin my top.
    A: Ok
    B: *uses top*
    A: Since we are still in my precombat mainphase I cast this creature.
    Last edited by cdr; 07-11-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: "non-basic" is not a supertype

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by dorsch View Post
    Lets explain it with this scenario, which is 100% legal:
    It's A's precombat mainphase.
    A: I use wasteland on your Tundra.
    B: float one blue. Tundra is destroyed.
    A: I want to attack.
    B: In your mainphase i use the blue mana to spin my top.
    A: Ok
    B: *uses top*
    A: Since we are still in my precombat mainphase I cast this creature.

Let's say your opponent has a Goldmeadow Harrier in play and 1 plains untapped, you have 2 creatures, 1 is equipped with Umezawa's Jitte and you have 2 mana producing lands untapped (you can substitute Jitte for Elspeth and you haven't used her ability yet this turn or any number of other sorcery speed abilities, such as casting Ball Lightning).

You tell your opponent "I want to attack" your opponent tells you "Before you declare attackers, I will tap your creature that is equipped with Jitte." Clearly their intention is to do this in the combat phase, but before attackers are declared to prevent you from moving Jitte to the other creature (but they didn't explicitly "In your combat, before declare attackers"). You proceed to tell them, "Since we are still in my precombat mainphase, I will equip Jitte to my other creature. Your opponent calls the judge, how would must judges rule in this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    You tell your opponent "I want to attack" your opponent tells you "Before you declare attackers, I will tap your creature that is equipped with Jitte." Clearly their intention is to do this in the combat phase, but before attackers are declared to prevent you from moving Jitte to the other creature (but they didn't explicitly "In your combat, before declare attackers"). You proceed to tell them, "Since we are still in my precombat mainphase, I will equip Jitte to my other creature. Your opponent calls the judge, how would must judges rule in this scenario?
    Tournament Rules 4.2, Tournament Shortcuts:

· A statement such as "I'm ready for combat" or "Declare attackers?" offers to keep passing priority until an opponent has priority in the beginning of combat step. Opponents are assumed to be acting then unless they specify otherwise.

You are not in your main phase - your shortcut put you in beginning of combat.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

That seems to offer a conflicting account to Dorsch's answer above. If I say "begin discard?" or some other shortcut that "offers to keep passing priority until an opponent has priority" and my opponent chooses to do something first (spin top), then unless I choose to respond directly to their action, I have no opportunity to regain priority before the phase ends.

So if my opponent chooses to spin top after I have offered to "keep passing priority until an opponent has priority" in the next step, the implication is I am foregoing my opportunity to do anything else in that same phase, even if they choose to act. This is especially relevant when my opponent taps down to cast EOT instants or spin top, after which I will want to sneak in extra burn or something before s/he can untap again, which is a scenario that seems to come up fairly often.
    Great success!

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

When you use a shortcut like "Go." (which offers to pass priority until EoT), and your opponent wants to do something in between, you are no longer bound by that shortcut, so you can still do something in your end step if your opponent tapped out to spin his Top.
    Level 2 Judge

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisACatInAHat? View Post
    That seems to offer a conflicting account to Dorsch's answer above. If I say "begin discard?" or some other shortcut that "offers to keep passing priority until an opponent has priority" and my opponent chooses to do something first (spin top), then unless I choose to respond directly to their action, I have no opportunity to regain priority before the phase ends.

So if my opponent chooses to spin top after I have offered to "keep passing priority until an opponent has priority" in the next step, the implication is I am foregoing my opportunity to do anything else in that same phase, even if they choose to act. This is especially relevant when my opponent taps down to cast EOT instants or spin top, after which I will want to sneak in extra burn or something before s/he can untap again, which is a scenario that seems to come up fairly often.
    In Dorsch's example, the opponent of the person proposing the shortcut broke the shortcut by specifying that he wanted to act in a specific phase/step. In Freakish's example, the opponent implicitly accepted the shortcut and then acted afterwards. No conflict.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Gotcha, thanks.
    Great success!

Jan 2010
    Sitting on the other side of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisACatInAHat? View Post
    First, I'm 99% sure of the answer to this, but for some reason it keeps coming up as a result of the MWS effect. If a Blood Moon effect is in play and someone plays Price of Progress, what is the net result (supposing, for example, I have 1 Taiga and 1 Plateau in play and my opponent has 2 Tundras and 1 Underground Sea? My interpretation is that Blood Moon checks every time state-based effects are checked without itself changing the supertype of affected cards, so a Price would deal 4 damage to the caster and 6 damage to the caster's opponent in the above scenario.
    You are right, Price still does damage.

Here, have a block of rules text:

305.7 - If an effect changes a land's subtype to one or more of the basic land types, the land no longer has its old land type. It loses all abilities generated from its rules text and its old land types, and it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type. Note that this doesn't remove any abilities that were granted to the land by other effects. Changing a land's subtype doesn't add or remove any card types (such as creature) or supertypes (such as basic, legendary, and snow) the land may have. If a land gains one or more land types in addition to its own, it keeps its land types and rules text, and it gains the new land types and mana abilities. [CompRules 2009/07/08]
    305.8 - Any land with the supertype "basic" is a basic land. Any land that doesn't have this supertype is a nonbasic land, even if it has a basic land type. [CompRules 2009/07/08]

You've no idea how long that took me to find. Figured I'd throw it up, I get asked about Moon effects on almost a daily basis.
    Remember that time you left for a few days and your girl stayed behind?

I kept her company.

Thread Information