Thread: [Free Article] Legacy's Allure - Evaluating Sideboarding Options

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

[Free Article] Legacy's Allure - Evaluating Sideboarding Options

Legacy's Allure - Evaluating Sideboarding Options by Doug Linn

Pretty informative article. However, I feel he should've expanded on Null Rod rather than using the one liner in the conclusion. I'd actually say that he should've devoted an entire section of the article on Null Rod. After all, the blurb for the article on the SCG front page said "Get the tip on what two-mana artifact everyone should be playing, and find some silly options along the way in this week's Legacy's Allure!"

Null Rod shuts down the namesake card in Thopter Foundry Combo decks, it shuts down the secondary "combo" in the deck, which is the Counterbalance lock, as well as their top source of card selection, Sensei's Divining Top, and it nullifies their "catch-all" solution to problem permanents, Engineered Explosives. And it stops Vedalken Shackles to boot!

That was just the Thopter matchup alone. I could mention the Storm combo, as well as decks using Aether Vial and/or Stoneforge Mystic, but just mentioning those decks and cards should illustrate the point I'm making.

Other than that, I dug the article. I liked the section on Tariff and the Vintage reminiscing, and I think he made some great catches on cards, such as Aether Spellbomb as an answer to Iona/Emrakul, and even though they weren't really that useful, I liked the silly mentions of Magnetic Mountain and Steal Enchantment which were cards I've never heard of before reading the article. I bet Magnetic Mountain would see play if it wasn't in Red.

TL;DR - Liked the article, but would have liked to read more about Null Rod. Keep up the good work!

Re: [Free Article] Legacy's Allure - Evaluating Sideboarding Options

Nice article, would've been nice to see Preacher get some love, I've been having good results with that as a sideboard card lately.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Null Rod in Legacy? Does this mean Noble Fish should be ported over(very close to Mossivo's TempoBant aside Selkie and Stifle).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Re: Emrakul:

We can go with indirect answers like Meekstone
    Fail. Unless you have 7 permanents, that's not going to save you.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I think he underrated Extirpate. When he mentions it, he forgot removing Sword of the Meek mid combo. Proper GY hate is effective against Thopter. Extirpate lost something with the MT ban but it's still effective against decks E Tutor and reasonably effective against Countertop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    I think he underrated Extirpate. When he mentions it, he forgot removing Sword of the Meek mid combo. Proper GY hate is effective against Thopter. Extirpate lost something with the MT ban but it's still effective against decks E Tutor and reasonably effective against Countertop.
    The thing is, if the opponent is expecting Extirpate, they can just set up Counterbalance and leave a one on top to counter it. Your best bet is bluffing K Grip and Extirpate (or actually having it) so the opponent has to guess what to leave on top.

Thread Information