Thread: Maze of Ith

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Maze of Ith

I bet this wouldn't be too difficult to find, but I wanted to confirm about maze of ith:

"508.1j Each chosen creature still controlled by the active player becomes an attacking creature. It remains an attacking creature until it's removed from combat or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. See rule 506.4."

Therefore a creature can deal combat damage, and then still become untapped by maze after the fact, correct? It seems mildly counterintuitive, which is why I wanted to ask.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Re: Maze of Ith

That's it. There's time until the end of combat step to do that.

Dec 2006
    Spain

It works. We faced this play in the GP and judges said that it's ok. Our local Judge confirms it.

My brother does a lot of tricks with Knight of Reliquary and Maze.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

506.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat...

511. End of Combat Step
    511.1. First, all "at end of combat" abilities trigger and go on the stack. (See rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities.")
    511.2. Second, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.
    511.3. As soon as the end of combat step ends, all creatures and planeswalkers (including those that are phased out) are removed from combat. After the end of combat step ends, the combat phase is over and the postcombat main phase begins (see rule 505).

You will receive priority during the End of Combat Step, at which point all combat damage has already been dealt but the Combat Phase has not ended (meaning any attacking creature that did not die as a result of combat or otherwise get romved from combat is still technically considered attacking per the rule cited in the OP). At this point you can legally target one of those creatures with Maze of Ith to untap them.
    awesome

Thread Information