Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The increase of Planeswalkers

Re: The increase of Planeswalkers

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    It looks like that was Rico's point: the most common answer to a Planeswalker is to attack, and that's a response which itself isn't very good, given how many answers the Planeswalker player has. In Jace2's case, Jace2 is the answer, or at least a big part of it.
    I understand that. I pointed it out because I thought the point of this thread was to find better answers to opposing planeswalkers than simply attacking.

I mean, it's kind of absurd to expect someone to pay 4+ mana on a spell in Legacy and not be able to protect that investment. Four mana is just on the borderline between "expensive" and "costs infinite" in Legacy.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

If Planeswalker specific answers are allowable then REB/Pyroblast for Jace 1 or 2, BEB/Hydroblast for Redjani, Anarchy for Elspeth, Ajani, Redjani (and Moat & Humility & critters & Oblivion Rings & KotR & Rhox War Monk & Qasali Pridmage & cats etc etc) are all possibilities. Not being able to deal with all of the Planeswalkers doesn't disqualify them from being bad SB options, but does mean that they can't be relied upon. Bounce is also a decent short term option, especially since you are already in blue & can hopefully sequence it to where you can now counter the re-cast Planeswalker.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

No, my point was more along the lines that if you can manage to eliminate your opponent's attack step and proceed to safely tap out and protect 4+ mana threats...

You've already won most of your matches.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

If I cast Moat, I have a counter or you just tapped out for something you thought was worth it. Same thing as Jace isn't it? Planeswalkers are like that, fragile for the most part. If you're that worried about them you play some burn. It's like being worried about that Moat. you play Disenchant effects if you care that much. Burn is the planeswalker answer. I plan to play a Psionic Blast in my board to Cunning Wish for just for planeswalkers. If you can't figure out that you need to start thinking about them, you have more of a problem than you think.

I will bet anyone that the winning deck of GP Columbus has at least one planeswalker in it or some Lightning Bolts. Want to bet on that?

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post

I will bet anyone that the winning deck of GP Columbus has at least one planeswalker in it or some Lightning Bolts. Want to bet on that?

That's like betting if the sun is going to rise tommorow.

Team Nijmegen Failtrain Captain
    Nov 2009
    Nijmegen, Netherlands

Funny, because I think there are a few decks I see able to win GP columbus without pw's:

Bant Survival ( doesn't really uses pw's, but it could)
    New horizons ( I've seen some with 2x jace 2.0, but I still prefer to play without)
    T.E.S. ( storm is still very viable, I think some will be very mistaken in ignoring the potential)

I did found that zoo list with elspeth quite interesting tbh, gives some additional OOMPH to the deck when it get's stuck watching a moat or bigger bombs than they posses. Also that skarrg intrigued me. Goyfs that win the 1-1, fat knights with trample, not a bad addition tbh.

I don't see thopter control get into T8, it's just to inconsistent to be able to win THAT many matches.
    The other decks I think that can definately make it to T8 in an expected meta.

Aggro-loam ( I don't think it's a real active deck in the states, while it's impressively strong against aggro)
    Goblins ( mono-red)
    Zoo
    Bant-aggro

There might sneak a merfolk in there, but against a meta that'll be more aggressive I don't think it'll survive really well.
    I don't expect reanimate in there since I believe that most ppl are creating the wrong lists and you can't lucksack yourself for 15+ rounds that way. ( except muller, his luck never ended)
    Tempo ***** itself has to many tought match-ups now combo isn't really there.
    Belcher won't make it since 1. it's random 2. force is still around.
    I expect to see Asian counterbalance back again. Firespout will be a great card to be played again.

Planeswalkers are great, but I only expect half of the T8 to have planeswalkers at max.

I'm on! Just wait and see, some dork will play Belcher with perfect draws all day....

Mar 2007
    RI

If I cast Moat, I have a counter or you just tapped out for something you thought was worth it. Same thing as Jace isn't it? Planeswalkers are like that, fragile for the most part. If you're that worried about them you play some burn. It's like being worried about that Moat. you play Disenchant effects if you care that much. Burn is the planeswalker answer. I plan to play a Psionic Blast in my board to Cunning Wish for just for planeswalkers. If you can't figure out that you need to start thinking about them, you have more of a problem than you think.

Elspeth and Jace TMS both ramp out of Bolt/Psionic Blast range before priority is passed, I don't see burn as being that reliable of an out to them.

I do agree with you that the top GP decks will have Planeswalkers in them though.

I think it's at least conceivable that Lands could win the GP, and it doesn't play walkers at all. Furthermore, as with every threat Lands ever faces, it doesn't need to eliminate Jace, just have a way to stall long enough to set up stack or slaver lock, e.g. barbarian ring.

Mar 2009
    usa illinois

Mangara of Corondor takes out plainswalkers

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by obituary 95 View Post
    Mangara of Corondor takes out plainswalkers
    Yes, he does. And I really have trouble dealing with Aysen Highway.dec. The fact that he handles Planeswalkers is just gravy.
    Vindicate is good, or so I hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Gaddock Teeg is a strong card to prevent PW to reach the ground. And I won't tell you what cards it also shut down in legacy...
    Forgive my bad English...

Vincent
    Dec 2008
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by frenchy-man View Post
    Gaddock Teeg is a strong card to prevent PW to reach the ground. And I won't tell you what cards it also shut down in legacy...
    Right, Plague wind does so much card advantage. It should see more play with the rise of aggro. It'll like in the Hulk era. Prepare for it or play it !
    -Team Laval !-

I guess that you are trying to be funny... Nice try, but try to be interesting for next time ;)
    Forgive my bad English...

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

With all due respect you were wrong on this one. Check PMs

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Heh, I noticed that PM when I got back. I wasn't far off though considering the 2nd place. I don't think anyone expected Merfolk to get that far though.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

With regards to plansewalkers in general, they are all designed to be bombs. Some are legitimate bombs and others are just expensive. It stands to reason that blue, being the heart of control forever would begin to turn to planeswalkers for finishers in the same way they used to turn to stuff like Rainbow Efreet and Morphling - they are hard for the opponent to handle.

What we are not seeing yet are the cheapie planeswalkers. Compared to any other permanent type there really are very few of these. I figure it is only a matter of time before wotc decides to design a planeswalker block with the possibility of these things being the majority of the spells in a deck. There would have to be 1cc and 2cc planeswalkers to smooth out the mana curve and provide a much smaller effect. To make the block work, there would have to be many more ways to deal with planeswalkers to accompany all the new ones we see in play. I estimate that when that day comes, cards like Vindicate will start to creep back in Legacy decks as the planeswalkers make their way into our environment in a much more pronounced fashion. You have to figure that there is not a single card yet that targets only plansewalkers. This is the way grave yards have become slowly over the years.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

2224 players? Count me there!
    Sep 2006
    Rio de Janeiro

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    With regards to plansewalkers in general, they are all designed to be bombs. Some are legitimate bombs and others are just expensive. It stands to reason that blue, being the heart of control forever would begin to turn to planeswalkers for finishers in the same way they used to turn to stuff like Rainbow Efreet and Morphling - they are hard for the opponent to handle.

What we are not seeing yet are the cheapie planeswalkers. Compared to any other permanent type there really are very few of these. I figure it is only a matter of time before wotc decides to design a planeswalker block with the possibility of these things being the majority of the spells in a deck. There would have to be 1cc and 2cc planeswalkers to smooth out the mana curve and provide a much smaller effect. To make the block work, there would have to be many more ways to deal with planeswalkers to accompany all the new ones we see in play. I estimate that when that day comes, cards like Vindicate will start to creep back in Legacy decks as the planeswalkers make their way into our environment in a much more pronounced fashion. You have to figure that there is not a single card yet that targets only plansewalkers. This is the way grave yards have become slowly over the years.
    Please. Don't. DON'T.
    Tapping lands and watching the sky falling since 1995.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    FeFe Team - Fame, girls and Mox Diamonds
    AHHHHHHH MULHEK!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
    Elen Síla Lúmenn Ommentielvo!

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I figure it is only a matter of time before wotc decides to design a planeswalker block with the possibility of these things being the majority of the spells in a deck. There would have to be 1cc and 2cc planeswalkers to smooth out the mana curve and provide a much smaller effect.

No, WOTC won't do this. Not only does it not fit the lore, it doesn't fit planeswalker design very well.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I wouldn't mind a U costed planeswalker that did something like this.

+1 Look at opoonent's hand.
    +1 Look at the top card of either deck
    -6 Draw a card

some random number of starting loyalty counters.

I wouldn't call that broken, but very handy.

Ok, I admit I would love something like that printed. I was screaming for a Glasses of Urza effect all day.

Thread Information