Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [New Deck!] Seppuku - Samurai Suicide

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Re: [New Deck!] Seppuku - Samurai Suicide

Also, if you're really not afraid of losing a crap ton of life, I have a crappy 25 cent rare from a crappy set for you.

Murderous Betrayal
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Death's Shadow alongside Plunge and Rites is dead sexy, that kind of reach in Sui-black is something completely new...

In my friday night magic madness club we're testing a mono black version that's less focused on self mutilation and the life aspect but packs alot more disruption and draw (10 card drawers + a ton of 1-1 trades is good when you can easily take you opponent out as soon as they are at 12). Leyline of the Void with a few Helm of Obedience have been working tremendously well for us in this deck. Too early to say anything about the viability but it certain is a blast, the ability to shift between combo, aggro (and sui-aggro at that!) and control multiple times per game is just straight up hilarious.

FNMM proudly presents, Go Ninja Go!
    ... or "how real men play suicide with 61 cards".

Creatures - 15
    4 Death's Shadow
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Flesh Reaver
    3 Lurking Evil / Phlyylylyllylylyl Lich (-4 swamps, -2 Whispers, +2 Top, +4 artifact swamps in that version and some swamps for fetchies)

Draw/Search - 8
    4 Sign in Blood
    2 Night's Whisper
    2 Plunge

Disruption - 11
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Duress
    4 Leyline of the Void

Lulwut? - 4
    2 Rite of Consumption
    2 Helm of Obedience

Removal - 3
    3 Snuff Out

Speed - 4
    4 Chrome Mox

Lands - 16
    3 Tomb of Urami
    13 Swamps

It's mostly a deck for laughs, but it can be quite brutal. Mostly just to illustrate a mono-colored version of the same philosophy.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grollub View Post
    this crap.
    You know, it might be difficult to drop Rites of Flourishing in a mono-black deck.
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    snide remark trying to be funny
    Yes, especially considering it's not in the deck.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    K mister 8 posts, lets go. That post was in response to some1 saying that white wasn't worth it. White is in the deck for 9 MD cards, along with SB options. those cards are 4 Loxodon Peacekeeper, 2 Oblivion Ring, 1 Vindicate, and 2 Stoneforge Mystic. I was pointing out that a 4/4 for 2 is in fact very good. Yes Tarmogoyf exists, and when you compare the Loxodon to him, Goyf comes out on top. News flash, Tarmogoyf is better than every creature in the game CC to PT, so that's an unfair comparison. Loxodon is always a 4/4, something Tarmogoyf cannot say, and he fits like a glove into this deck (completely original/new). What I was saying, was that he is worth the 4 slots in the deck, and the playing of white. What white also provides the deck is an Equipment tutor in SFM. This is a critical role, note both Basilisk Collar and Warhammer having Lifelink. Seems important. Playing Thoughtseize is probably good, but I just wanted to call attention to how often this deck is almost killing itself the turn before it's about to win the game. Inquisition can always be casted in those situations, and Thoughtseize really can't. I think there are enough lifeloss outlets in the deck already, where the -2 from Thoughtseize is usually not important. Flesh Reaver can carry a lifelink equipment and not kill you, Sign in Blood can be casted on the opponent, and City of Brass can not be tapped. Thoughtseize is always going to Shock you, and being that this deck almost kills itself on purpose every game, there will eventually/often be times where you need to cast your discard spell at low life totals. This isn't baseless, I've thought about it a decent amount.

also, 1 Tarmogoyf costs $60+ and 1 Loxodon Peacekeeper costs 5cents. That's a reason.

There are such things are Rogue decks you know...
    What does post count have to do with anything? His point is valid. Yes, this deck has a good engine for abusing it's creatures. But Loxodon is worse than Goyf and Shadow is worse than PD. And Inquisition is worse than FoW. That means the creatures aren't worth abusing. So play Dreadstill over this and if your budget is an issue, post it in Budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    What does post count have to do with anything? His point is valid. Yes, this deck has a good engine for abusing it's creatures. But Loxodon is worse than Goyf and Shadow is worse than PD. And Inquisition is worse than FoW. That means the creatures aren't worth abusing. So play Dreadstill over this and if your budget is an issue, post it in Budget.
    Let me reiterate, this isn't my deck. Nor is it my idea. I simply saw it and said, "Wow! That's original! and it won games too! lets show people."

And that's it. The deck DOES cost 20$, and it is better than most people are giving it credit for, but I'm not standing behind it.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Let me reiterate, this isn't my deck. Nor is it my idea. I simply saw it and said, "Wow! That's original! and it won games too! lets show people."

And that's it. The deck DOES cost 20$, and it is better than most people are giving it credit for, but I'm not standing behind it.
    I read the original post about where you pulled it from. It could still go in budget. It doesn't have to, if you think the deck has merit on it's own, this is a fine place for it, but if the discussion is centered around affordibility then this not the right subforum. At this point, it's a moot point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grollub View Post
    Yes, especially considering it's not in the deck.
    no, you posted that instead of Rite of Consumption, so I thought I'd make a funny.
    Also, the fact of the matter is the IoK is bad. Duress hits more of the stuff you're trying to stop. Or just got word-balls up and play Thoughtseize like a normal person.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    snip... Shadow is worse than PD. And Inquisition is worse than FoW. That means the creatures aren't worth abusing. So play Dreadstill over this ...snip
    Shadow functions in no way for form as Dreadnought in this deck. Rather consider it a weenie that always has a Hatred hanging active over his head. The dreadstill remark is, rather wierd as the two decks shares practical nothing in common.

@Pastorofmuppets: The cards tag decided "Rites" meant Rites of Flourishment instead of Rite of Consumption. ^^

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

I still think splashing green for Goyf, Grip and Pridemage would make your day.

What i have noticed in testing this monster abit is that people tend to make allot of bad plays against this, its hard to think your losing when your opponent puts himself or 4-8 life by t3. People just think they have already won and start slacking instead of thinking. And then it goes kablamm rite's in your face... maybe not a t2 deck but damn its fun to play.

A few things i noted:
    Plunge into darkness is a must in the deck, an instant way to get allot of life and save your ass from 2xbolt or a big flyer
    Turn 1: Dark Ritual, Blood Celebrant 1 black pay 1 life make 1 black rinse repeat until 8 life into 2x 5/5 Death's Shadow

The list the Japanese guy played with may look janky but its much better thought out than you might think becuase it has allot of ways to control your life total to the point where it becomes a crazy sado balancing act.

The real power of playing a deck like this is that people have no clue what your plan is and don't make the right reactions to what you are doing half of the time.
    another list that did its surprise work in a 14 man tourney
    http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=33992
    including good name

Nov 2009
    Lappeenranta, Finland

Just curious: Would it be possible to play Death Wish in this deck? It does seem a bit slow, but it's still a Wish that can grab anything, it doesn't reveal the card, and the drawback isn't really even a drawback in this deck. Good Wish targets would include Soul Spike and a Rite for finishers, Snuff Out and/or other cheap or free removal spells, Unmask/Thoughtseize, and of course all the actual sideboard cards you want to play. If you're in white, something like Shining Shoal might also be good.

I'm not qualified to say whether or not Wish is better than, say, the Infernal Contracts in that deckcheck.net list. The idea of Death Wish potentially being playable in a deck just intrigues me.
    Level 1 Judge

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

I've been saying Death Wish for some time now.

Nov 2009
    Lappeenranta, Finland

Huh. Sorry about that, I somehow managed to not see posts 17 to 20 in this thread at all. And here I thought I had found something almost worth posting about. :/

I'd still like to see either Soul Spike or Shining Shoal in that wishboard. Both look like excellent cards against Zoo's burn spells, and can let you pull a win out of nowhere.
    Level 1 Judge

Matthew Bartlett

Apr 2009
    Gillett, PA

What about carnophage and Vampire Lacerator? I know they are outclassed by Nacatl, but zoo seems rather unwinnable to start with.
    Skizzik No Kickel

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Filth View Post
    Huh. Sorry about that, I somehow managed to not see posts 17 to 20 in this thread at all. And here I thought I had found something almost worth posting about. :/

I'd still like to see either Soul Spike or Shining Shoal in that wishboard. Both look like excellent cards against Zoo's burn spells, and can let you pull a win out of nowhere.
    I'd say Jitte and Profane Command both deserve slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemagex2517 View Post
    What about carnophage and Vampire Lacerator? I know they are outclassed by Nacatl, but zoo seems rather unwinnable to start with.
    They do too little for the manacost.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

IDK why people are hating on inquisition of koz, the card does hit ~90 percent of the format (maybe more)... Who cares if you can't hit FoW, just let them hymm to tourach themselves later.

About the deck, wouldn't you want some power plays to go along with the lifeloss theme? Cards like cruel bargain and pox come to mind... Snuff out and vendetta should definitely be in consideration (not running them together, but one of them should be in the list).

I actually think you should focus on cards that have immediate life loss profit as opposed to things that work well over time (confidant/arena/whatev), as you can actually control the amount of lifeloss and not put yourself on a clock (ive seen so many games where a player will just aim their burn at your head and watch you die to your own confidant... but in this deck that could happen without them even playing burn).

Just leave yourself options in game, and play more powerful effects.

I would honestly love to see an opener of rit -> bargain, second turn snuffout/2 death's shadow, that would be awesome.

Thread Information