Thread: CounterTop Thopter v. Reanimator [Premium Article]

CounterTop Thopter v. Reanimator [Premium Article]

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...p_Thopter.html

One last look at another key matchup before the GP.

(And yes, I did forget that Reanimate targets).

Enjoy!

Stephen

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Re: CounterTop Thopter v. Reanimator [Premium Article]

Do you honestly think that Reanimator is going to be a big prescence at the GP?

Yeah -- at least 5% of the field, and probably more. People own the cards for it, and it still has 8 discard outlets (4 entomb and 4 Careful Study) and 8 reanimation spells (4 Exhume and 4 Reanimate). It really didn't lose that much. The only play you can't do now is Mystical Tutor for Entomb. Personal Tutor does everything else.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Agreed. The conclusion that I've reached based on testing is that the loss of Mystical Tutor didn't really do much to neuter the strategy per se. You get a less consistent game 2, but that can be mitigated somewhat by running more redundant answers in the sideboard.

Similarly, Storm decks don't seem to be much worse off, either, in regards to power level and consistency. The problem is the enlarged decision tree that might put people off of playing it. I would pack just as much combo hate for GP Columbus as in the previous metagame, if not more due to the perceived notion that other combo decks have a chance to thrive with ANT out of the spotlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Apr 2007
    Maryland

I Think your odds of seeing Reanimator in the first 3 rounds of the GP is probably 5%, but lets be honest thats probably gonna be 75 of the 1500 people playing those rounds. Your likelyhood of seeing some form of Storm combo is probably roughly the same. I think however for those of us who dont have to sit down til round 4 your more likely to see a storm combo deck than reanimator. I feel as though my round 4 opponents deck will contain the cards Tarmogoyf and OR Force of Will.

I know it was a pre-M11 build, but shouldn't any Thopter decks at the GP be running at least one and possibly 2 or more Dark Tutelages? It's an exceptionally easy splash and just seems to be a really powerful option for them.

Thread Information