Thread: [Article] You're Doing it Wrong: Daze

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

[Article] You're Doing it Wrong: Daze

My article on Daze is up at ManaNation. The article breezes over what decks should be using it, and some analysis of how to use the card in some situations.

I'm in grind mode for the Grand Prix right now, so I'm not certain that there will be an article next week, but we will see what I can do.
    Team Bad Guys

I have come up with an excellent way to be happy! Every time someone says a sentence I simply add on a few words after it:
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    In my opinion, I mean and I'm probably totally wrong!
    Oh my goodness, it's been so great. People with stupid opinions now immediately acknowledge how dumb they are! Internet fights still have all the swears and name calling but now they're instantly undermined by my new suffix.

Re: [Article] You're Doing it Wrong: Daze

Learned all that the hard way.

Good read for everyone, especially those who haven't been playing with Daze for a long time.

Funny thought that occurs to me everytime I get Wastelanded, "Can't I use this Daze to save my land?". The answer is usualy NO, but if you have something like 1cc spell + 2x Tundra on board + Daze, then you can go: cast 1cc spell, Daze my own spell returning targeted Tundra after tapping it for mana, pay 1. It's those little tricks that make an average player into a, well... above average player.

There are many scenario's where I'd gladly trade a Wasteland against Daze+another spell though. + all the tempo loss you got from keeping that mana open. Seems like a horrible deal.

Anyway, case dependent. I read through the entire thing... it's useful info but also a boring read, purely instructive and not really eye openers or alike. Some humor or even images could really help that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessaja View Post
    There are many scenario's where I'd gladly trade a Wasteland against Daze+another spell though. + all the tempo loss you got from keeping that mana open. Seems like a horrible deal.

Anyway, case dependent. I read through the entire thing... it's useful info but also a boring read, purely instructive and not really eye openers or alike. Some humor or even images could really help that.
    There are times when I would trade a Daze or even a Daze + Plowshares for a Tundra. It's not about card advantage or tempo, it's about not being manascrewed into oblivion or maybe timely equipping a Jitte.

There is no power without control...

Jul 2010
    Victoria, BC, Canada

Well written and comprehensive. I've never thought about Daze enough, particularly its tempo consequences. *Bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    Funny thought that occurs to me everytime I get Wastelanded, "Can't I use this Daze to save my land?". The answer is usualy NO, but if you have something like 1cc spell + 2x Tundra on board + Daze, then you can go: cast 1cc spell, Daze my own spell returning targeted Tundra after tapping it for mana, pay 1. It's those little tricks that make an average player into a, well... above average player.
    Haha, brilliant.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Had to chuckle at "Karoo". I didn't think many people even remembered what those were.

I still laugh at people that actually do that with Daze where they forget to tap in that mana for the heck of it when they cast Daze and then get Dazed back or realize they have a Brainstorm. I forget that not all people played with the card in Limited. Not that I played that card in Limited much. It was such crap then.

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

Really good article, your made an excellent analysis of the different situation.

Something I would stress a bit more (but it really is a detail) is the sinkhole case. Tempo decks can be glad to see their sinkhole dazed, since you still lose one land drop and the daze in addition to that, which is a very important card in the matchup, since it can be played with low mana (this is particularly true when playing against sorcery speed tempo decks, like Team America). So you need to think very carefully about what to do.

Anyways, good job!
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

Thread Information