Thread: Null rod in sideboard

Null rod in sideboard

I'm going to the GP this weekend and was wondering what peoples thoughts on Null rod as a sideboard card in my zoo deck.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Re: Null rod in sideboard

That's kind of a simple question. What do you fear so much that you would want it? Countertop is bound to be there so do you fear that a lot? I don't know exactly what you are playing so it's hard to say what you want it for.

(((((O)))))
    May 2010
    Wisconsin

It helps against thopter combo, Sensei's Divining Top...you know, that annoying crap no one likes to see across the table from them.
    Can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Mar 2007
    RI

Pithing Needle can shut down the problem artifacts as well as: Maze of Ith, Survival of the Fittest, Pernicious Deed and Planeswalkers. While it's nice being able to shut off all artifacts against Thopter based CBT and Null Rod is probably better in that match up, I think the ability to cushion other issues/matches makes Pithing Needle a stronger sb candidate.

May 2010
    Chandler, Az

I have always been a fan of Krosan Grip. Spit Second is pretty good, last time I checked...

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    That's kind of a simple question. What do you fear so much that you would want it? Countertop is bound to be there so do you fear that a lot? I don't know exactly what you are playing so it's hard to say what you want it for.
    He said he's playing Zoo in his post.

I like Null Rod, it shuts down a lot of random crap.
    Slows down storm combo
    Shuts off Charbeltcher and shuts down 1/2 their mana
    Is really good against Thopters
    Shuts down Affinity
    Stops Grindstone + Top in PainterStone
    Makes equipment unequipable in Mystic decks
    Beats a couple random jank decks that will be floating around
    Hurts Fearie Stompy

I like it overall, it's a really good move in that it shuts down a lot of random stuff and people are very unlikely to bring in Grips vs. Zoo so it will likely stick around for a while. Also the decks that play Pridemage are the decks you won't even want it in for.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

I think Null Rod is great in todays metagame but I'm not sure Zoo needs it. This is a narrow card that hurts a lot and people are not prepared for it FROM ZOO. It should be a nice nail to the coffin if you manage to put some pressure. Hope you will have few hours to test it yourself.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Do it, Null Rod shuts down Top & Thopter combo - things you are going to be seeing all day (especially if you're successful). And playing Zoo you don't need a permanent lock, just a way to stall them while you smash face. The fact that Null Rod also shuts down EE (commonly sideboarded & good versus Zoo), equipment, Aether Vial, artifact acceleration, Belcher and that one guy who didn't get the memo about Affinity is a huge bonus...
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

I've been advocating Null Rod for a while now, if I don't play any artifacts with abilities you can always find it in my sideboard. Other then the obvious Thopter-combo, Belcher, Storm-mana and Top, it also shuts down: Vedalken Shackels, all equipment, the whole affinity deck, Vial, Explosives, Grindstone and grave-hate (not important in Zoo) and lot's of other random things.

I know Needle is the most accepted answer to most problem card, but what do you name against decks with Vial, SDT and Explosives? Null Rod shuts them all.

Whenever I play a green deck, I normally include 3 Grips and 3 Rods. I hate to play 4x a utility card unless you absolutely need it in certain matchups. Also, including Null Rod doesn't make Grip invalid or vice versa. I normally use them to fill up the gaps the other card leaves.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Thread Information