Thread: Retaining priority - bit detailed questions

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Retaining priority - bit detailed questions

I will announce that i will retain priority while playing spells.

I play 1 creature and 2 instants

Normally I will receive priority upon resolution but Something will trigger upon resolution (CIP ability, or something else).

Opponent will notice first playing some instant spell.

Who will receive priority first? I assume that player whose turn/main phase it is. Do I have to announce once again that i will retain this priority until all is stacked?

Usually, any trigerred ability was misused by my fellow players to play instants, but however while these situations were numerous the rules and shortcuts have been twisted byt this.

Opponents used to announce that they retain priority until all spells are resolved, or in opposite to react upon resolution even when nothing was triggered.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Re: Retaining priority - bit detailed questions

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    I will announce that i will retain priority while playing spells.

I play 1 creature and 2 instants

Normally I will receive priority upon resolution but Something will trigger upon resolution (CIP ability, or something else).

Opponent will notice first playing some instant spell.

Who will receive priority first? I assume that player whose turn/main phase it is. Do I have to announce once again that i will retain this priority until all is stacked?

Usually, any trigerred ability was misused by my fellow players to play instants, but however while these situations were numerous the rules and shortcuts have been twisted byt this.

Opponents used to announce that they retain priority until all spells are resolved, or in opposite to react upon resolution even when nothing was triggered.

It's really difficult to understand what you're trying to say.

Active player receives priority any time the top action on the stack is resolved, or phases change.

If a player would receive priority, state-based effects are checked (e.g. if a creature dies or if a player wins the game), and triggered abilities are put onto the stack. Targets are declared and stuff like that. When there are no more triggered abilities to add to the stack or other effects to resolve, then the player gets priority.

Any time a player activates an ability or casts a spell, he passes priority, UNLESS he specifically states that he is keeping priority.

When both players pass in succession, the top effect on the stack is resolved. If there's nothing on the stack, the phase changes.

Not really sure what the confusion was, but hope that helps you.

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Re: Retaining priority - bit detailed questions

This is exactly what i needed:

Active player receives priority any time the top action on the stack is resolved
    People here play more with shortcuts than with rules, and thats makin mess. The situation i decribed was like this:

Spell on stack resolves.
    Ability triggers due this and goes onto the stack
    (i as active player have received the priority, and pass it to opponent if i dont wish to do anything with it)
    Non-Active player requests priority and immediately reveals the card which he would like to play.

But opponent is usually not aware of the situation in the brackets - that he does not have priority automatically, but it needs to be passed.

Mostly the "smart" players use the shortcut this way: "you have caused ability to trigger - same like playing the spell, and since you did not declared you will retain the priority you have passed it to me". this causes trouble with Split second commonly they are not being played correctly - some abilities already on stack are not resolved due these "smart" actions, and sometimes are players, or when there are actions which needs to be stacked properly.

Most common misuse is when more spells are stacked, being resolved one by one, but the trigerred ability will be resolved as the last one, when all permanent spells are already resolved. In these situations player claim they got extra bonus to monster which was on stack - not im play - at time when the ability was trigerred.

Mostly it is "shortcut" like "i was asking if you react on whole stack of spells, and you did not, but I can set relative order of spells on stack" or "all the spells on stack were resolved at once, and all trigerred abilities were stacked afterwards"

In the other hand players keep stacking spells even when they actually passed priority to opponent, but later when opponent sees whole stack he will counterspell something he is already not allowed to (mostly trying to cause different spell to lose target)

this is less about my problem with play, but more about how poorly the people here know the rules.

Thread Information