Thread: [SCD] REB/Pyroblast

[SCD] REB/Pyroblast

Looking over the latest coverage of GP:Columbus I noticed the a massive increase in the number of Blue decks in the T8. Many of these decks have played very expensive Blue spells such as Show and Tell and Jace, the Mind Sculptor and of course Shared Fate(lol). I'm rather certain we will see an increase in these type of decks in the future. I think the reason so many of these decks made Top 8 was because the aggro decks were either ill prepared for these type of decks or had the wrong type of hate; Mindbreak Trap isn't very good against Show and Tell.dec, etc.

But all is not lost! This could be the return of Red Elemental Blast and his little brother Pyroblast to sideboards everywhere! Protectors of Red mages in the past, red blasts could be set for a glorious return. The current metagame looks to be saturated by Blue decks and there is no better way to gain tempo and prevent blowouts like red blasts can. Blasting a Dream Halls is pretty much awesome and nets you a shit load of tempo and just as much if they try and play around it. It destroys permanents or protects Tarmogoyf from Force of Will.

What do you guys think?

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Re: [SCD] REB/Pyroblast

I played Next Level Tempo Thresh (the list with a ton of 3-ofs and Jace) and Reb was easily my MVP. I went 5-0-1 against Thopter Foundry decks post-board because of how absurdly good that card (and Grip) was against them.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

In the feature match, Alix Hatfield cast Choke, his opponent Counterspelled, and he REB-ed back. (His opponent had the force on top though)
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

The most played cards in Legacy are FoW and Brainstorm at top 2, then Daze,Cbalance,Standstill and RWM are all in top 50. Data is off Deckcheck MPC. Great card. Dreadstill has the best sb with Perish(Goyf,Pridemage,Noble,RWM,KotR all in top 50) and Red Blasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Combo player
    Mar 2010
    Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

The main downside I see to blasts are that they can be countered by a blind counterbalance easily. That being said thats not much of a downside and I would rather have 4 blasts than 3 choke.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

With the rise of Jace TM, and continued presence of Merfolk they are phenomenal SB cards.

Depending on the game state, I often hit Brainstorms with REB.

Thread Information