Thread: [Deck] Nightedge Tempo

[Deck] Nightedge Tempo

Nightedge Tempo

What's this now?
    I've had a casual deck centered around the Nightsky Mimic/Edge of the Divinity + B/W cards interaction for some time (and I'm sure this is a relatively popular casual deck to play). A while ago, I stumbled upon a deck on deckcheck.net which was similiar (http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=36026) which got me to wondering if this deck could be adapted to legacy. Obviously, the list from the tournament does not appear to be optimized, missing even simple improvements such as running Blessing of the Nephilim over Unholy Strength, so I decided to take that idea and try to turn it into a deck more suitable for the format, opting to remove some aggro elements to favour a more tempo oriented build.

Why should I care?
    It is effectively an aggro deck that, although does not have tribal synergy or work well with disruption cards like Chalice and Trinisphere (i.e. Stompy decks), has an advantage over those decks in a couple areas: creatures in this deck are frequently evasive and have lifelink (which improves the aggro and, sometimes, the combo matchup), we have good permanent disruption, and our pump effects are permenant. In short: still aggressive enough to destroy control decks, but can still deal adequately with combo and aggro. Plus, the rogue factor is always fun.

Nightedge Tempo v1

// Mana Sources (20)
    4 Scrubland
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp

// Creatures (20)
    4 Nip Gwyllion
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Nightsky Mimic
    4 Mourning Thrull
    4 Dark Confidant

// Spells (20)
    4 Edge of the Divinity
    4 Blessing of the Nephilim
    4 Zealous Persecution
    4 Vindicate
    4 Mortify

Card Discussion:
    Chrome Mox (vs Dark Ritual): It's been suggested to play Dark Ritual, after all it is a staple in aggressive decks playing black, but I feel like it really is not the correct card and the better option is Chrome Mox. Any card that we want to play on the first turn costs 2 CMC or 1 CMC. Dark Ritual is literally useless to cast any 3 cmc spells since they require W, and Dark Ritual to cast one 2 cmc spell feels like a waste when Chrome Mox can do that just fine.

Gwyllion/Sculler/Mimic/Thrull: A bunch of solid b/w creatures. Thrull seems kind of unimpressive, but in practice flying is a rather relevant ability.

Confidant: The only non b/w creature. This deck needs a way to get card advantage. With lifelink and the very low curve, this seems like a fantastic way to do it.

Edge/Blessing: Permanent versions of Giant Growth.

Persecution: I was unsure about this one at first, but it sweeps out enemy 1 toughness creatures (Confidants, Lavamancer, Argothian) and gets damage through. A nice combat trick to boot.

Vindicate: Best permanent removal spell. Pretty self-explanatory.

Mortify: Close to vindicate, but not quite the same. Still a solid choice though. In addition to any creatures, it hits counterbalance, survival, and library, making it fairly relevant.

Wasteland: Grouped with Vindicate, can give opponents a lot of trouble if they aren't getting any land. Generally good, since you don't need much mana to operate well anyway.

Sideboard:
    Currently, don't have anything set in stone. Cards I was considering were:

Gerrard's Verdict
    Orim's Chant
    Leyline of the Void
    Relic of Progenitus
    Perish
    Thorn of Amethyst
    Umezawa's Jitte

Light 'da fuse!
    Mar 2010
    Douglas, MA

Re: [Deck] Nightedge Tempo

It's funny, I was contemplating this idea the other day. I ran Evershrike and rancor as an alternate win-con. Also, he can get sick with rancor AND edge...

I feel like Verdict was a must in my main deck as it's straight up card advantage and can net you life to boot, meaning you'll have to do less blocking and can continue to race. Besides, it can make the difference in a tendrils match as well! :)

I'd probably drop blessing of the nephilim for it, because blessing doesn't put many of your guys out of bolt range when you cast it on them. :(

King of the Cowfish
    Feb 2008
    U.S.

I remember playing this in standard before zendikar came out. Although it was halfway decent then, it simply will not work in legacy. The plethora of auras that this deck runs gives you huge card disadvantage when they are played in a format where every deck (save for combo) runs some sort of removal-removal that can kill every creature you play. Also, what happens when you have a grip full of auras and no creatures? Now if you take away the auras, you are left with a bunch of rather insignificant creatures. One goyf and the game immediately turns into an uphill battle.

While I hate to be so down about the deck especially in a forum specifically made for the untested (also cause I really liked the concept when I first played against it), I just could not make any suggestions to the deck that wouldn't completely change the focus that you initially created.

You may wish to do something about the fact that your deck basically rolls over and dies if the opponent is playing any targeted removal whatsoever.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    You may wish to do something about the fact that your deck basically rolls over and dies if the opponent is playing any targeted removal whatsoever.
    This.

I actually made a primer like this about a year ago (i was lost with all the updating and archiving of this site)

When I built my version, a lot of people thought it was just a crappy Pikula built (unfortunately, some of the sourcers out there are idiots and always assume)

Anyways, I would run a couple of discard to minimize your opponents from running an answer. I see that you are already running Tidehollow Sculler. I would also try to run Castigate and as you mentioned above, Gerrard's Verdict.

Good luck with your build!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I see a distinct lack of Lightning Greaves. :)

EDIT: To clarify, Greaves gives your creatures Haste and Shroud. Shroud blanks your opponent's targeted removal, and Haste lets you hit faster.

NINJA EDIT: As a sideboard, I'd recommend something like:

4 Angel's Grace
    4 Extirpate
    (optional: 4 Relic of Progenitus)
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    (alternate in Dredge-light meta: 4 Honor the Pure)
    3 meta slot

Dec 2006
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Play Righteous War or Absolute Law :D

King of the Cowfish
    Feb 2008
    U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Gocho View Post
    Righteous War would still mean that he would have to remove all his auras.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

I'd run some Stillmoon Cavalier , since it has protection against most of the removal in the format.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Dec 2006
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Damnosus View Post
    Righteous War would still mean that he would have to remove all his auras.
    Next time, I'll think before posting XD

Hey!

I played this list to some local success some time ago. It is extremely important to know the strengths / weaknesses of the deck while playing it because it's pretty vulnerable to some strategies (while being really good against others) :

Nip // tuck

4 Nip gwyllion
    4 nightsky mimic
    4 tidehollow sculler
    4 mother of runes
    4 dark confidant
    2 jötun grunt

4 edge of the divinity

4 vindicate
    4 thoughtseize
    4 swords to plowshares

2 umezawa's jitte

4 scrubland
    4 wasteland
    4 marsh flats
    1 plains
    1 swamp
    3 windswept heath
    3 polluted delta

SB

2 path to exile
    2 ethersworn canonist
    3 planar viod
    3 relic of progenitus
    2 misinformation
    3 pithing needle

Highlight plays happening often with this deck include playing against zoo, playing nip gwyll first turn. Second turn thoughtseize they dont think he's worth pathing so you take their path and then play an aura. T3 play another aura, they never recover.

Also very nice are the misinformations in the sideboard. They go in anytime the matchup results in topdeck mode (eva green, TA etc) and are usually 2-3 timewalks when played after they recovered from your initial land/hand disruption.

3 planar void and 3 relics go in against decks like aggroloam, new horizons, dredge etc .. watch out for explosives though (needle)

Good luck making a better list, god knows it needs to adopt to todays meta full of deeds and jaces =)

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

i wish there was at least 3x gerrard's verdict in here.Also gwyllion alone without aura is kind of meh.I understand it also triggers your mimic but it's a terrible topdeck in lategame. Consideer singleton volrath's stronghold, to recover grunts and confidants.

Thread Information