Thread: Temporal Isolation, put into play, and creatures with shroud

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Temporal Isolation, put into play, and creatures with shroud

Temporal Isolation 1W
    Enchantment - Aura
    Flash (You may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.)
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has shadow. (It can block or be blocked by only creatures with shadow.)
    Prevent all damage that would be dealt by enchanted creature.

Show and Tell 2U
    Sorcery
    Each player may put an artifact, creature, enchantment, or land card from his or her hand onto the battlefield.

Flickerwisp 1WW
    Creature - Elemental
    Flying
    When Flickerwisp enters the battlefield, exile another target permanent. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
    3/1

Replenish 3W
    Sorcery
    Return all enchantment cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. (Auras with nothing to enchant remain in your graveyard.)

I remember from time ago that moving auras from a creature to another could move an aura over a creature with shroud. I also remember that an aura put directly into play (for example, with Replenish) could enchant a creature with shroud , unless I'm wrong. My question thus is if I can enchant my opponent's creature with shroud or troll-shroud if he casts Show and Tell, or if I remove Temporal Isolation with Flickerwisp. Thank you.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Re: Temporal Isolation, put into play, and creatures with shroud

Yes, you can. Auras only target when they're cast as spells (and on the stack), not when they are put onto the battlefield via Show and Tell, Replenish or some other way. Nothing says that you couldn't enchant a creature with shroud, so you can choose to attach the aura to a creature with shroud.

Just remember: with Show and Tell, all the chosen cards are put onto the battlefield simultaneously. If you choose to put an Aura onto the battlefield, you can't attach it to the creature your opponent is putting onto the battlefield, because that creature isn't on the battlefield yet when you choose the creature to enchant. You can only attach it to a creature that's already on the battlefield when Show and Tell resolves.
    Level 2 Judge

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

# 113.1b - Aura spells are always targeted. These are the only permanent spells with targets. An Aura's target is specified by its enchant keyword ability (see Rule 702.5, "Enchant"). The target(s) are chosen as the spell is cast; see Rule 601.2c. An Aura permanent doesn't target anything; only the spell is targeted. (An activated or triggered ability of an Aura permanent can also be targeted.) [CompRules 2009/07/08]
    Ie as long as the Aura isn't played (as targets are chosen on declaring the spell) you can attach it to any legal permanent in play (not sure if there's a special rule pertaining to this; doesn't Replenish specify that Auras cip attached to legal permanents?). The moving Auras between permanents thing is a by.product of this, although you have to make sure that the effect swapping them isn't targeting the chosen permanents (eg Simic Guildmage).

Edit: nm, found the extra passage. Auras always enter the battlefield attached to a legal target (which in turn is chosen by their enchant ability which targets when you declare the spell).

# 303.4 - Some enchantments have the subtype "Aura." An Aura enters the battlefield attached to an object or player. What an Aura can be attached to is restricted by its enchant keyword ability (see Rule 702.5, "Enchant"). Other effects can limit what a permanent can be enchanted by. [CompRules 2009/07/08]

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Infinitium, here is the relevant rule:

303.4f. If an Aura is entering the battlefield under a player's control by any means other than by resolving as an Aura spell, and the effect putting it onto the battlefield doesn't specify the object or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura enters the battlefield. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura's enchant ability and any other applicable effects.

303.4g. If an Aura is entering the battlefield and there is no legal object or player for it to enchant, the Aura remains in its current zone, unless that zone is the stack. In that case, the Aura is put into its owner's graveyard instead of entering the battlefield.

303.4h. If an effect attempts to attach an Aura on the battlefield to an object or player, that object or player must be able to be enchanted by it. If the object or player can't be, the Aura doesn't move.
    "Any other applicable effects" basically means Protection and "Can't be enchanted" -effects (eg. Anti-Magic Aura).
    Level 2 Judge

Thread Information