Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shuffling your opponent's deck

Order of the Ebon Hand gets there...pro Swords...take 2...
    Jun 2008
    Iowa

shuffling your opponent's deck

After I present my deck to my opponent for cutting, he shuffles my deck. Am I allowed to then cut my deck once? I thought it used to be allowed but I didn't see it in the comp rules
    End of turn...Morphling

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    Brainstorm is only useful in certain situations? Brainstorm is useful when you hand is not the stone cold nutter butter blade Ranchington Q. Farnsworth Esquire best. When Brainstorm is "dead", the game is already over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ectoplasm View Post
    I heard Bryant Cook once set fire to his opponent's face for playing a Rule of Law.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    It's impressive the amount of effort you put into telling a story that actually makes you look much worse than the idiot.
    Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Re: shuffling your opponent's deck

No, you are not allowed to do that anymore. Now the opponent will always be the last person to touch a player's deck. You can read the rule in Magic Tournament Rules, 3.8.
    Level 2 Judge

Bryant Cook

I know it's allowed by DCI rules and whatever. But whenever an opponent riffle shuffles my deck I have this urge to break their face. It's bending my cards, why can't these assholes just side shuffle and have some common courtesy?

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I know it's allowed by DCI rules and whatever. But whenever an opponent riffle shuffles my deck I have this urge to break their face. It's bending my cards, why can't these assholes just side shuffle and have some common courtesy?
    If you ask them to side shuffle when you present because you don't want to damage your cards, and they do it anyway, you can call a judge for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    If you ask them to side shuffle when you present because you don't want to damage your cards, and they do it anyway, you can call a judge for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.
    No, you cannot.

You can call a judge and tell the judge what happened, but you cannot suggest an infraction.

You can call a judge and tell the judge that your opponent shuffled your deck, but the judge will tell you that that's kind of what your opponent is supposed to do.

If you don't want your cards shuffled, don't play with them. You can request your opponent shuffle in a certain (legal) way, but he can shuffle any (legal) way he wants.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    No, you cannot.

You can call a judge and tell the judge what happened, but you cannot suggest an infraction.

You can call a judge and tell the judge that your opponent shuffled your deck, but the judge will tell you that that's kind of what your opponent is supposed to do.

If you don't want your cards shuffled, don't play with them. You can request your opponent shuffle in a certain (legal) way, but he can shuffle any (legal) way he wants.
    I think you misunderstood my post. If you ask your opponent not to bend your cards and suggest that they shuffle a specific way to avoid doing so, but they bend your cards anyway, you call a judge. You don't have to suggest an infraction, because the only possible intent of the action is to damage your cards and put you on tilt. I have seen this ruling handed out on several occasions at PTQs.

If there's some doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, I guess there's not much to be done, but generally, asking someone not to damage your cards and having it happen anyway removes any uncertainty from the situation.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

No misunderstanding. Unless it's malicious, your opponent is absolutely allowed to bend (aka riffle shuffle) your deck. The intent of the action is to shuffle your deck.

At a vintage event the judges might be more sensitive towards concerns, those are almost always unsanctioned anyway.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    No misunderstanding. Unless it's malicious, your opponent is absolutely allowed to bend (aka riffle shuffle) your deck. The intent of the action is to shuffle your deck.
    This is what I was getting at. There's not really any uncertainty about intent when you ask them not to bend your cards and they defiantly do it anyway.

Too Retarded to Live
    Mar 2009

some guy wasn't using sleeves and i rifle shuffled his deck and splt the corner of one of his unlimited U.seas lol, i loled when he got pissed and the judge said it was his fault for not using sleeves

May 2008
    Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshepherdman View Post
    some guy wasn't using sleeves and i rifle shuffled his deck and splt the corner of one of his unlimited U.seas lol, i loled when he got pissed and the judge said it was his fault for not using sleeves
    Yea man! I love it when I damage people's property, and then laugh at them!

Oh wait, no, I'm not a huge dick.

In other news, yea, the dude should have been using sleeves. Still, there's no reason to be riffling, and less reason to be laughing afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryPheldagrif
    The important thing is to always, always remember that while Brainstorm may require the tea-sipping socialite to think for 15 minutes as to the ideal configuration to optimize his carefully calculated 10 trillion branched decision tree of splendid victory, JUGGERNAUT ATTACKS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Says the guy who plays with Japanese Foil cards so he can angle-shoot and take advantage of people not knowing the Oracle text on every card in Legacy. Hypocrite much?

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

This probably happened because the dude was pissed for losing to turn 1 Grapeshot.

XIII
    Jun 2009
    Germany

Good thing most of the guys aren't assholes. If you tell them to not riffle your deck most of them will listen.

But I think it is for the judge to decide if it is an infraction or not and will probably vary depending on what jude you ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    Well you can expect whatever you want but you'd only expect what you said if you were retarded.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Says the guy who plays with Japanese Foil cards so he can angle-shoot and take advantage of people not knowing the Oracle text on every card in Legacy. Hypocrite much?
    If you don't know what a card does and don't ask a judge, it is your own damn fault. Is there a reason you decided to attack him?
    Three options:
    A) You know legacy: Ok so you know the cards and how they interact a.k.a. foreign cards are not an issue.
    B) You just started out, perhaps looked at some decklists, or are learning the format: You know some cards, and the ones you don't you call a judge for. Not a problem
    C) You never played before, or even researched interactions in this format: Then how the hell are you in the X-0 bracket playing Cook after 3 rounds? And what are you doing in the format?

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

I do have a relevant question on shuffling:

Why are opponent's even allowed to shuffle your deck to begin with as opposed to just cutting? Is a cut not enough after your own shuffling?
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    If you don't know what a card does and don't ask a judge, it is your own damn fault. Is there a reason you decided to attack him?
    Three options:
    A) You know legacy: Ok so you know the cards and how they interact a.k.a. foreign cards are not an issue.
    B) You just started out, perhaps looked at some decklists, or are learning the format: You know some cards, and the ones you don't you call a judge for. Not a problem
    C) You never played before, or even researched interactions in this format: Then how the hell are you in the X-0 bracket playing Cook after 3 rounds? And what are you doing in the format?
    Thank you. However, I fail to see how I am a Hypocrite. I'm not riffle shuffling people's expensive decks.

If it's foriegnness, my boy uptop got chew.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    I do have a relevant question on shuffling:

Why are opponent's even allowed to shuffle your deck to begin with as opposed to just cutting? Is a cut not enough after your own shuffling?
    There are ways to pile shuffle where you guranteed that every third card is a land, so this lets you ensure that the opponent's deck is sufficiently randomized.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    There are ways to pile shuffle where you guranteed that every third card is a land, so this lets you ensure that the opponent's deck is sufficiently randomized.
    Well, pile "shuffling" doesn't count as shuffling, but in general yes - shuffling your opponent's deck is a guard against cheats.
    -David DeLaney

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Side question: Can you still request that a judge shuffle your deck for your opponent? Say, he starts shuffling a bit more violently than you are comfortable with and you stop him and call a judge to do it for him.

I have heard you can do this before but I'm not sure.
    they haunt minds...

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

@nitewolf9: Last I knew you could. I haven't read over the Comp Rules since February though.
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

Thread Information