Thread: Mana Abilites

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mana Abilites

During my opponent's main phase, I cast Reset with 4 lands untapped remaining, expecting to have to cast high tide and another reset should he counter the first. If he has no responses to my first reset, is there a point after in which I can tap my lands to float mana before reset #1 untaps? I have a feeling this will come up this weekend, please cite the relevant passage.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Mana Abilites

No, if you pass priority and he passes back then your Reset will resolve before you get priority(and have the ability to activate abilities) again.

Relevant rules stuff is in Section 115 of the comp rules.

115.1d A player may activate a mana ability whenever he or she has priority, whenever he or she is casting a spell or activating an ability that requires a mana payment, or whenever a rule or effect asks for a mana payment (even in the middle of casting or resolving a spell or activating or resolving an ability).

and

115.3c If a player has priority when he or she casts a spell, activates an ability, or takes a special action, that player receives priority afterward.

115.3d If a player has priority and chooses not to take any actions, that player passes. If any mana is in that player's mana pool, he or she announces what mana is there. Then the next player in turn order receives priority.

115.4. If all players pass in succession (that is, if all players pass without taking any actions in between passing), the spell or ability on top of the stack resolves or, if the stack is empty, the phase or step ends.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Ok, thank you

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

If you pool your mana right after casting the reset, can't you just use that pooled mana to cast another reset/high tide if it's countered?

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Yes, but he can't cast High Tide and another Reset if he taps them right away. You need to leave an Island open so you get 2 mana for Reset.
    Last edited by cdr; 08-18-2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Let's leave personal messages for PMs, eh?

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    If you pool your mana right after casting the reset, can't you just use that pooled mana to cast another reset/high tide if it's countered?
    Sure I could, but then I cannot get the full benefit out of high tide, since I already tapped my lands, see?
    Last edited by cdr; 08-18-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Let's leave personal messages for PMs, eh?

Thread Information