Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [IDEA] Opalesence

Re: [IDEA] Opalesence

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=13467&iddeck=98954
    Top8'ed. Sadly, we don't know how many players were there.

A king should never sit easy upon the Iron Throne
    Mar 2008
    Columbia, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by nonja View Post
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=13467&iddeck=98954
    Top8'ed. Sadly, we don't know how many players were there.
    There were 63 players present at this tournament. I sat down across from this deck in round two and lost. I was ashamed, and also very proud at the same time. The four-mana enchantments dodge Decay quite well, I hear. As well, I was on a delver deck and could not handle a Chancellor of the Annex being hardcast/ let alone allowed to sit in play.
    Rest in peace, Grandpa Morphling.

Nemeses Slain:4

Sep 2011

Suppression Field MD and Lodestone Golem in the board is genius. Glad to see the deck do well!

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Wow, this is a hilarious deck to say the least. Suppression Field seems outta place though, and counterspells seem like a problem at first glance.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Wow, this is a hilarious deck to say the least. Suppression Field seems outta place though, and counterspells seem like a problem at first glance.
    Suppression field breaks a lot of things, starting with Fetchlands and ending with Jace and Tezzeret.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

How does he play any non-white Leylines drawn beyond the first turn? Also, countering Opalescence leaves the deck without wincon, amirite? I guess Replenish should be somewhere in there. And... Terminus must be painful.

Hi,

I already thought about this funny deck.

Here is the list, if it can inspire you:

1 [CHK] Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 [LG] Karakas
    4 [US] Serra's Sanctum
    4 [ON] Windswept Heath
    8 [UNH] Forest

3 [9E] Defense Grid

1 [UD] Opalescence
    4 [M11] Leyline of Anticipation
    4 [GP] Leyline of Lifeforce
    4 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity
    4 [M11] Leyline of Vitality
    4 [GP] Leyline of the Meek
    4 [M11] Leyline of the Void

4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    2 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    4 [CMD] Alliance of Arms
    4 [AVR] Entreat the Angels

I found Alliance of arms a good card for this kind of deck. Opponents will rarely have many untap lands when you will cast it and you wait to see if the spell is countered or not before spend manas to generate tokens (and tokens work well with leyline of vitality/meek).

Regards,
    Dihensoeur

Sep 2011

The guy ran a 1-of Helm of Obedience as an alternate win condition, tutorable with Enlightened Tutor. Lets you win around creature hate while completely dodging Abrupt Decay.

Terminus is less of a problem when it costs 5W (3 to rearrange your top card, 2 to draw it, W to Miracle). Keep in mind Leylines don't have summoning sickness since they've been in play since T0, so the turn you drop Opalescence is the turn you attack. That leaves little window for mass removal.

Suppression Field is really good at slowing down the blue decks that this would normally be bad against. So are Chancellor and Lodestone. That's what's so brilliant about his list. T1 Suppression Field rapes the format right now. It's just that there's no tier 1 deck that can afford to play it. But it fits so well in here.

(FYI suppression field taxes fetches, top, vial, DRS, planeswalkers, Wasteland, Port, equip costs, SFM cheating, Jitte activations, Elves.dec, Griselbrand draw, Sneak attack activation, Lavamancer, Mom, Mangara, Phantasmagorian, random stuff. Try casting your spells vs a T1 Suppression Field in one of those 9+fetchland DRS decks.)

Non-white Leylines are castable off rainbow lands and duals, albeit with some difficulty.

Alliance of Arms is bad since each player gets the same number of tokens and Leyline of the Meek pumps ALL tokens, not just yours. Too symmetrical. If the opponent has a Lightning Bolt or something, you just lose.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

The guy ran a 1-of Helm of Obedience as an alternate win condition, tutorable with Enlightened Tutor. Lets you win around creature hate while completely dodging Abrupt Decay.

Terminus is less of a problem when it costs 5W (3 to rearrange your top card, 2 to draw it, W to Miracle). Keep in mind Leylines don't have summoning sickness since they've been in play since T0, so the turn you drop Opalescence is the turn you attack. That leaves little window for mass removal.

Suppression Field is really good at slowing down the blue decks that this would normally be bad against. So are Chancellor and Lodestone. That's what's so brilliant about his list. T1 Suppression Field rapes the format right now. It's just that there's no tier 1 deck that can afford to play it. But it fits so well in here.

(FYI suppression field taxes fetches, top, vial, DRS, planeswalkers, Wasteland, Port, equip costs, SFM cheating, Jitte activations, Elves.dec, Griselbrand draw, Sneak attack activation, Lavamancer, Mom, Mangara, Phantasmagorian, random stuff. Try casting your spells vs a T1 Suppression Field in one of those 9+fetchland DRS decks.)

Non-white Leylines are castable off rainbow lands and duals, albeit with some difficulty.

Alliance of Arms is bad since each player gets the same number of tokens and Leyline of the Meek pumps ALL tokens, not just yours. Too symmetrical. If the opponent has a Lightning Bolt or something, you just lose.
    As a long time suppression field player I can attest to most of this with the exception that it wreaks eles.dec. It can but it's not consistent. If they have the cradle glimpse hand it does very little. It also hits Karkas which is the only reason I can justify it's exclusion.

I've tried to make this deck work many times. I have a hard time believing that this is consistent, but I never tried Crop Rotation (i did try Serum Powder) so that may be all it needs.

Lodestone over Thalia. Do you think that might be for the body? ...it seams to me that vs. aftifact combo decks you would prefer to have Thalia. Anyhow kudos to the innovator. I'm into it.

Oh you right. Sorry for this bad idea.

But maybe there is a way to exploit Meek/Vitality no?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    As a long time suppression field player I can attest to most of this with the exception that it wreaks eles.dec. It can but it's not consistent. If they have the cradle glimpse hand it does very little. It also hits Karkas which is the only reason I can justify it's exclusion.

I've tried to make this deck work many times. I have a hard time believing that this is consistent, but I never tried Crop Rotation (i did try Serum Powder) so that may be all it needs.

Lodestone over Thalia. Do you think that might be for the body? ...it seams to me that vs. aftifact combo decks you would prefer to have Thalia. Anyhow kudos to the innovator. I'm into it.
    Between Crop Rotation and Serum Powder, the probability of Serra's Sanctum in the opener is very high. That's basically all you need. Once you have white mana, there are 11 ways to find a win condition and more win conditions post-board.

Like any all-in T1 deck (e.g. Belcher), seems inconsistent against fast disruption. Getting Sanctum wasted before you can exploit the mana sucks (Suppression Field helps shut off Wasteland). Getting your tutor/Opalesence countered and drawing Leylines for days sucks. But if the other deck can't interact early, you have a big advantage.

What I like about his board plan is that it directly interacts with the vulnerabilities that disruptive decks would attack. To counteract win conditions being countered, he boards in up to 8 resistors that double as uncounterable creature win conditions (Caverns and Leyline of Lifeforce making Chancellor uncounterable is pretty hilarious). To counteract manabase disruption, he can board in 4 lands and has Suppression Field. Maindeck Leyline of Sanctity already shuts off a lot of discard that would otherwise hurt fast combo.

IMO the big problem with Thalia vs combo is that his deck is full of duds. Most Thalia decks stick Thalia and other guys. Then you have a clock. If he just sticks Thalia, combo has 10 turns to remove it or find a way to go off while he draws Leylines for days. Lodestone closes the game out faster. I think that's more relevant in a deck with terrible topdecks. Lodestone also seems good against land-light aggro control decks, doing triple duty as an uncounterable win condition, taxing their spells, and taxing their creatures too (unlike Thalia). Thalia may be worth testing though.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dihensoeur View Post
    Oh you right. Sorry for this bad idea.

But maybe there is a way to exploit Meek/Vitality no?
    I don't know. Vitality is the worst card ever against T1 Empty the Warrens!! Granted, it's not that common in this format, but still has the potential to be terribad. I don't like symmetrical effects. I think Leyline of Lightning is a better Leyline overall, but he may have chosen Vitality because it's white and actually hardcastable.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I get that you're going for the Hyper Combo Finish here -- but not one mention of Parallax Wave? People seem to forget this, but the old power-level errata isn't around anymore; Parallax Wave and Opalescence combo to exile every creature your opponent controls -- and, importantly, knowing how to apply it can prevent you from auto-losing to board wipes.

I get that if there were a deck to abuse Suppression Field, this would be it -- but at the least I think Parallax Wave is worth a consideration. We talk about 4 mana spells like they should be 'I win' cards, which is totally fair - Parallax Wave + Opalescence is very 'I win' against creature decks. If you are not terrible with your use of Fading counters, about the only thing that matters a damn is a well-timed Krosan Grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Don't forget that Razorverge Thicket is basically the nut as far as non-Serra Sanctum lands go for this deck. There was a guy at my old shop who used to play this, it was always hilarious when he'd play against my friend playing storm and he'd drop main deck Leylines of Sanctity and Leylines of the Void to completely fuck him.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Zllig View Post
    Don't forget that Razorverge Thicket is basically the nut as far as non-Serra Sanctum lands go for this deck. There was a guy at my old shop who used to play this, it was always hilarious when he'd play against my friend playing storm and he'd drop main deck Leylines of Sanctity and Leylines of the Void to completely fuck him.
    The storm guy didn't have any bounce or Empty the Warrens?

hi im chris the guy who played the deck at colombia super iq and i must say it was alot of fun to play

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dackflame View Post
    hi im chris the guy who played the deck at colombia super iq and i must say it was alot of fun to play
    cool. how did you find your matchups were? which did you think you needed more help against? which were strong? how much do you think luck played a factor?

ive changed the side board since then the only cards i boarded in in the whole time were the 4 chancler and the 1 suppression field so i changed it and it works even better now
    2 ghostly prison
    4 chancellor of the annex
    2 oblivion ring (mainly for Gaddock Teeg)
    1 force bubble
    1 parallax wave
    1 rest in peace
    1 runed halo
    1 suppression field
    1 stony silence
    1 curse of exhaustion

match ups are honestly about half the field is good and half bad any thing with blue counterspells is a problem first game and wastelands also

death and taxes is ok but i did lose to it on kind of bad draws

jund, elves, mud and combo involving targeting me and graveyard are great

sneak and show is better after board with o rings

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    The storm guy didn't have any bounce or Empty the Warrens?
    Game 1s with ANT, no main deck Empty or bounce.

Thread Information