Thread: Repercussion control

Repercussion control

Hey, this is my casual mono-red Repercussion control. It's pretty janky, but this is the casual forums so that is quite alright In any case, the point of the deck is too get out Repercussion and laugh when your opponent gets burned for 7 of a Skred or by even more when you field wipe with Earthquake. I would like to keep it pretty budget, but any suggestions are welcome. The only thing I won't do is make this into a trinisphere/chalice kind of thing, or make it multi-colored. Ok here is the list.

Stuff
    4x Skred
    4x Repercussion
    3x Chandra Nalaar
    3x Earthquake
    1x Chain Reaction
    2x Wheel of fate
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Magma Jet
    3x Puncture Blast

Mana
    16x Snow Mountains
    4x Scrying Sheets
    3x Mouth of Ronom
    4x Coldsteel heart

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Re: Repercussion control

I can't see any mono-red control deck with wheel of fate being built correctly without pyromacer ascension. Try: (using your base)

4 pyro ascention
    2 chandra ablaze

4 lightning bolt
    4 flame slash
    4 magma jet
    4 wheel of fate
    4 repurcussion
    4 earthquake
    4 zap
    4 staggershock

22 mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Hmmm, interesting suggestion. I will see what I can do with it. I still think you should keep the snow mountains for skred.

Vanilla Bear, 2/2

Jun 2010

What if your opponent doesn't play creatures at all? Need Forbidden Orchard or Varchild's War Rider?

needs moar chrome mox/fling too just to pitch extra crap cards/do damage using the artifacts...

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

You might want to consider Furnace of Rath. It deals quadruple damage off Repercussions and gives your burn a lot more umph if they're not playing dudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Also, this thread needs more drunk Peter Rotten.
    Team ICBE - We're so good at playing Threshold, we don't even play it.

Team Keg Stand - If only the kegs weren't empty...

Vanilla Bear, 2/2

Jun 2010

Just realized, Varchild's War-Riders + Chain Reaction / Earthquake is a big kaboom. Turn 2: Varchild's War Rider, Turn 3: Varchild's War Rider produce a token for your opponent, play Repercussion (let the token attack you unblocked if your opponent wish to). Turn 4: War Rider produce 2 more tokens, play Chain Reaction --> 4 damage for you, 12 damage to your opponent. If you wait another turn (letting the tokens alive), that'll be 6 Tokens + 1 War Rider --> Chain Reaction for 42 damage for your op (and 7 for you). You could speed this up with Forbidden Orchard.

I would drop the Puncture Blast though. If you are able to lock down your opponent's attacks efficiently (Ensnaring Bridge), you might want to try Pyrohemia. (It rocks with Varchild's War Rider as well, as you can activate it for just one mana every turn to deal cumulative damage to your opponent ;)

Lol some crazy suggestions, that I have to try! Thanks everyone for the feedback, and I will do some testing to see what works and what doesn't.

Vanilla Bear, 2/2

Jun 2010

Seen Innistrad Spoilers lately?

Blasphemous Act
    Sorcery, 8R
    Blasphemous Act costs 1 less to cast for each creature on the battlefield.
    Blasphemous Act deals 13 damage to each creature.

Perfect.

Your Turn 1: play Forbidden Orchard, tap it, play Goblin Cadets. (Creature count: ~2)
    Opponent Turn 1: block with Goblin Cadets if needed.
    Your Turn 2: play land, tap Forbidden Orchard, play Varchild's War-Riders. (Creature count: ~4 --> not counting creatures your opponent might play)
    Opponent Turn 2: don't block (or block with Goblin Cadets if you haven't)
    Your Turn 3: upkeep: a creature token from Varchild's War-Riders to your opponent. Play land (another Forbidden Orchard? :), tap Forbidden Orchard, play Repercussion. (Creature count: ~6)
    Opponent Turn 3: block if you must... (Creature count: ~5-6)
    Your Turn 4: (if Varchild's War-Riders didn't die, upkeep: 2 more creature tokens to your opp) Creature Count: ~5-8. "Blasphemous Act" button blinks. Click. Kabooooooom!

You might need something to sacrifice (Phyrexian Tower, High Market) or donate your Varchild's War-Riders (Bazaar Trader. Donate Varchild's War Rider to your opponent at the end of their turn, Bazaar Trader untaps, donate Bazaar Trader to them. Then Blasphemous Act / Chain Reaction)

Cheers.

How about something like Hunted Dragon. It gives the opponent creatures and swings pretty big itself.

Vanilla Bear, 2/2

Jun 2010

Hunted Dragon is a little bit slow, in my opinion. I think the goal of the the deck should be to play Repercussion & mass damage as fast as possible, before someone* plays their Qasali Pridemages, etc. (and if someone does, we need to dig the deck for another Repercussion fast, for example with Gamble or at least Magma Jet, etc.)

With Hunted Dragon, we have to wait until you reach 5 mana, and you still have to wait another turn for casting your mass damage spell. At that point, either Repercussion is already removed, or your opponents already seize the day :).

Accelerating your mana is the way to go, for example with Simian Spirit Guide or Moxes in a non-budget version.

* Edit: it just came to me that this deck would rock in a multiplayer game as well, as you can basically donate your creatures from Forbidden Orchard or Varchild's War-Riders to any player you wish. With Blasphemous Act in a multiplayer game, the creature count doesn't concern who's controlling them, and you only need two creatures per player to nuke them. Of course, as soon as they found out what you're up to, they'll do anything to silence you :)

You cannot use Bazaar Trader to trade Orchard/Varchild tokens you don't control. You don't even own them anymore since last changes were made...

Deck: nice and funny idea. but i guess you really need Gamble or something so you don't have to mulligan all night long or fold when they destroy your enchantment!

You cannot use Bazaar Trader to trade Orchard/Varchild tokens you don't control. You don't even own them anymore since last changes were made...

Deck: nice and funny idea. but i guess you really need Gamble or something so you don't have to mulligan all night long or fold when they destroy your enchantment!

Vanilla Bear, 2/2

Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    That's ... true, but we don't want to trade with tokens, as Bazaar Trader doesn't trade, it DONATEs.

Yeah, Gamble would be Repercussions Nr. 5-8.

Maybe splash black for all this reverse soul warden so you have an alt wincon.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Vanilla Bear, 2/2

Jun 2010

Don't know exactly which card you meant (perhaps Blood Seeker?), but this deck probably doesn't want more creature on our side, since Repercussion would hit us hard as well.

But splashing black could indeed provide an alternative win con, through Ragged Veins as a mini Repercussion. Now if only there is an efficient way to recur this (and Repercussion, since they're both enchantments) from the graveyard (after your opponent's creature died from damage)...

Quote Originally Posted by neoryujin View Post
    That's ... true, but we don't want to trade with tokens, as Bazaar Trader doesn't trade, it DONATEs.
    That was what i meant, but you cannot even donate Tokens you dont control, since Bazaar Trader requires you to control the tokens. So you can create Tokens with Varchild or Orchard, but Trader wont touch them afterwards ;)

Maybe its just a misunderstanding though and we mean totally different stuff!

That was what i meant, but you cannot even donate Tokens you dont control, since Bazaar Trader requires you to control the tokens. So you can create Tokens with Varchild or Orchard, but Trader wont touch them afterwards ;)

Maybe its just a misunderstanding though and we mean totally different stuff!

Vanilla Bear, 2/2

Jun 2010

Ok, then let's look at this post again:

You might need something to sacrifice (Phyrexian Tower, High Market) or donate your Varchild's War-Riders (Bazaar Trader. Donate Varchild's War Rider to your opponent at the end of their turn, Bazaar Trader untaps, donate Bazaar Trader to them. Then Blasphemous Act / Chain Reaction)
    The point of Bazaar Trader is not to trade/donate/whatever the Varchild's tokens, but Varchild's War-Riders ITSELF. Since you don't want any creatures on our side (at all, if possible), because we would also be blown up by the combination of Repercussion and a mass damage spell, that's why we need to sacrifice or give them the rest of our creatures (through Bazaar Trader). There was no need to donate the tokens with Bazaar Trader in the first place, since the tokens already came to play on the other side of the table.

Hope this clarifies things a little bit.

And yeah, I also think I should really start to build this funny exemplar, instead of just discussing the blueprint (which is also fun :)

Light 'da fuse!
    Mar 2010
    Douglas, MA

I do like the furnace of rath strategy... I used to run Mogg Maniac along with Furnace and I'd grenade or fireblast my own maniac for massive damage.

Thread Information