1 Eye of Nowhere
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Diminishing Returns
    3 Pyroblast
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Empty the Warren

While I like some of the recent changes Bryant made to the deck in the wake of Mystical Tutor being banned I felt like the deck could use one more white source for chants so I cut 1 fetch for 1 city of brass. Also, while Empty the Warrens is really good against blue decks I really hate that decks like survival can fetch up 2 Rhox War Monks and an easy win turns into a slow loss. As ETW and Ad Nauseam have a similar converted mana cost I felt it was easy enough to cut the ETW for a 2nd Ad Nauseam.
    On Thursday night I receive a call from Torsten asking if I want to goto Vestal on Saturday. While I have a car and no driver’s license he has a driver’s license and no car. We decide that we’re going and we’ll figure out a way to get up there. We make a few calls on Friday afternoon but no one picks up. I play in the weekly legacy event at TOGIT going 3-1 with TES and splitting top 4. Torsten and I convince Andrew that he should come with us to Vestal and that he should drive. Torsten stays at my house and Andrew picks us up a little bit after 7am.

I didn’t take very good notes and if you remember something happening differently please let me know and I’ll correct it.

Rd 1 - Jeremiah playing Ug Eldrazi Cloudpost Ramp 2-0

Game 1
    He wins the die roll and goes turn 1 Tropical Island pass. I go turn 1 duress seeing Emrakul, cloudpost, crop rotation, force of will, repeal, and a few lands. I take the force of will. He than plays a 2nd turn cloudpost. A few turns later I cast Ad Nauseam...draw a bunch of cards and win.

Sideboarding -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder +3 Pyroblast

Game 2
    He plays a Tropical Island and a turn 1 top. I play a turn 1 duress seeing Fow x2, Crop Rotation, Emrakul, Blue Elemental Blast. I than go turn 2 Duress taking the 2nd Force of Will. The next turn he plays out a candelabra of tawnos. He crop rotates away his tropical island for a cloudpost and than he plays a vesuva making a copy of it. A few turns later I silence and than cast ritual, ritual, ad nauseam revealing a bunch of cards and going down to 6. I play out my artifact mana and than cast burning wish going to get Tendrils of Agony. He attempts to blue elemental blast it and I point to silence in my graveyard. I cast Tendrils of Agony and win.

2-0
    1-0

Rd 2 - Zoo 2-0

Game 1
    My opponent opens with fetch, taiga, and goblin guide. I reveal a land. I duress him taking a chain lightning. I believe I had a hand with a few lands, brainstorm, led, an infernal tutor, and a burning wish. I infernal tutor for a 2nd led and combo off the next turn with a igg loop after he beats me down to 9 with the goyf and goblin guide.

Sideboarding -1 Ponder, -1 Infernal Tutor, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Deathmark

Game 2
    My opponent leads off again with 2 early goblin guides. I get a few free lands and than Ad Nauseam from 14 after silencing him. Ad Nauseam reveals a lot of gas and I win easily. I wish I remembered more about these games but they were really quick.

4-0
    2-0

Rd 3 - Ichorid - Jay 2-0
    Game 1
    Jay told me he was local to the area and had been playing legacy for just a few months. Jay goes turn 1 rainbow land, careful study discarding a troll and another random card. I go turn 1 dark ritual, dark ritual, ad nauseam. I draw a bunch of cards...play a bunch of cards and win.

-1 Silence, -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Ponder, -1 Chrome Mox, +3 Pyroblast +1 Echoing Truth

Game 2
    I open with a hand of Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, LED x2, Burning Wish, and Infernal Tutor. I figure as long as he doesn’t go turn 1 cabal therapy and name something relevant or turn 0 leyline of sanctity that I should win this easily. He goes turn 1 cephalid coliseum into careful study discarding a troll and a imp. He than casts unmask...SHIT! I am so nervous sitting there waiting for him to take the lotus petal....he takes the infernal tutor! I go turn 1 petal, led x 2, rite of flame, burning wish cracking leds for 6 black getting ill-gotten gains. With Ill-Gotten Gains I get back LED x2 and Infernal tutor. I replay the LEDs and infernal tutor for Tendrils of Agony for 20.

3-0
    6-0

Round 4 Allen Abendroth (source id: talon7331) playing bant. *Feature Match* 2-1

Allen and I have played each other a few times. The first time was a little bit over a year ago when we were both playing in our first legacy tournament. I was playing brassman’s countertop deck that cdr had lent me and he was playing spring tide. I think both of us went like 1-5 that day. After the round is paired Eli informs me that I have a feature match. Earlier in the day I had told Allen that I had read his report and congratulated him for top 64ing the GP. We bullshitted a little bit and I told him how much I disliked playing bant survival in Columbus. We also discussed how good spell pierce and spellstutter sprite are against combo. At that point I may have told him or hinted that I was playing TES.

I sideboarded -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Ponder +3 Pyroblast

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9068076

2-1

8-1

Round 5 - Dan Jordan Vengevine Survival

ID

Round 6 - David Elrod

ID

Top 8

James Rynkiewicz playing New Horizons

James and I discuss how well New Horizons did at the event and that besides taking 3 spots in the top 8 the deck also took 9th and 10th.

I don’t remember very much about these games. In game 1 he got a pretty early knight which searched up a ton of wastelands...normally this alone would be enough but I was drawing a land every turn. Unfortunately a hand of all mana with zero business isn’t as good as a 10/10 knight. I had duressed him early but he had a decent amount of counter magic. In game 2 he mulligans to 6. I go turn 1 duress seeing fow, dispel, spell pierce, and 2x daze. I take the fow and eventually he lands a knight. I silence and he dispels it. I attempt to combo off with pyroblast backup but he just has way too many counters.

I sideboarded -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Infernal Tutor, -1 Ponder +3 Pyroblast

Eli offers me $75 cash, $100 credit or a pick from the fetches. Torsten offers me essentially $90 in credit and $20 in cash for the Wooded Foothills. I turn the $90 credit, a beatup Underground Sea, and a loyal retainers into a nice looking german bb Unterirdischer See. I also picked up 2 korean duress from Bryant and two more from Geoff Smelski as well as 3 markered japanese 5th pyroblasts from Tariq White. The deck is starting to look pretty.

Props:

Team DP, TES, and Bryant Cook.
    Last edited by Jim Higginbottom; 08-24-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Re: Top 8 with TES at JupiterGames August 21st

Congrats on the top 8.

I can't believe the hand James had in the top 8... initial 7 of FoW, FoW, Pierce, Stifle, Ponder, Brainstorm, Daze. Or something like that. No Lands, all countermagic though.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

The 6 he mulliganed into were also pretty ridiculous.

Feb 2007
    Rochester, NY

Congrats! Any worries about your life total when revealing off AdN, with 3x City of Brass and 2x AdN?

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Congrats dude! Was this the same list you ran at TOGIT?

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Congrats dude! Was this the same list you ran at TOGIT?
    Yes.

Nah the changes made from bryant's list only add a very minute number to the average cmc. Additionally the 3rd city is over a fetch so that's usually about the same life loss. The deck used to run 4 city of brass...it is fine.

Bryant Cook

Congrats on the finish

Thread Information