Thread: Forestwalking to Top 2 in Taverna Dracon

No hay trabajo malo. Lo malo es tener que trabajar.
    Apr 2007
    São Paulo, Brasil

Forestwalking to Top 2 in Taverna Dracon

Survival Elves as of 8/14/10, by Leandro Esteves Bario(lebarion)
    -- Lands
    9 Forest
    1 Pendelhaven
    2 Taiga
    1 Mountain
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Windswept Heath

-- Elves
    3 Llanowar Elves
    3 Fyndhorn Elves
    2 Quirion Ranger
    2 Joraga Warcaller
    4 Priest of Titania
    2 Wren's Run Vanquisher
    1 Viridian Zealot
    1 Viridian Shaman
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    4 Imperious Perfect
    1 Elvish Champion
    1 Wilt-leaf Liege
    4 Sylvan Messenger
    1 Masked Admirers
    1 Wren's Run Packmaster

-- Survival
    4 Survival of the Fittest
    1 Wirewood Symbiote
    1 Anger
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

-- Sideboard
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Spore Frog
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Krosan Grip
    1 Nullmage Shepherd
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Goblin Pyromancer

I've been playing with Survival Elves for some time now, having a lot of fun with it and some good results, too.
    I did some last-minute changes to the list, namely adding Emrakul and Masked Admirers. I didn't know exactly what to take out for them, so I've put Squee to the sideboard (it is important in control/board control matches) and played with 61 cards (my list above has 60, I don't remember if the 61st was a Joraga Warcaller or a Wren's Run Packmater).

My personal touch in the list were intended to do two things:
    - With a Survival in play, win as soon as possible without possibility of reaction. Thus, the Masked Admirers + Emrakul "combo".
    - Take advantage of the large amount of mana the elves can generate. This could be via card advantage (Sylvan Messenger), board-position (Wren's Run Packmaster) or raw power (Joraga Warcaller, Wilt-leaf Liege).

Wilt-leaf Liege was there because it is strong on its own, it is usually out of counterbalance range, and it pumps my wolves. Elvish Champion is still there because sometimes Forestwalk is just wonderful. Joraga Warcaller was not 4-of because I wanted to dodge Chalice and Counterbalance.
    Viridian Shaman and Zealot were there because I have hard times against Jitte, and they're both reusable with Wirewood Symbiote and Survival + Emrakul.

Now, to the report:
    UG old-fashioned Madness

First game, he starts with Island and Careful Study. I think it's reanimator, but next turn he plays a Forest and a Jitte. It is not reanimator, but a bad start nevertheless. Jitte wins the game.
    Second game I win with Packmaster and wolves, and in third game Survival made things easier. I think Emrakul showed up in the third game.
    (2-1)
    1-0

Uwr Landstill:
    First game I don't know what he's playing and cast all my elves very quickly, just to feel the Wrath of God and learn to have some Humility. He kills me with Goblin tokens from Goblin Trenches.
    Second game I'm very quick, he misses some land drops and don't have the mass removal in time.
    Third game was hard, I put some elves and lords in the table, and met Volcanic Fallout in response to a second lord. I continue beating, and the game is decided when he gets a Engineered Explosives from a Fact or Fiction and don't cast it right away to get rid of Joraga with 3 counters. I beat him down to 2 life, and he can't cast the Volcanic Fallout in his hand.
    (2-1)
    2-0

RB Red Death-style:
    First game he starts with Dark Confidant while burning my elves. A Countryside Crusher joins his team and beats my face while I'm still trying to keep elf in the table.
    Second game, Bob is there, but with no Crusher to put pressure on me, I'm able to find survival and keep playing elves every turn. Eventually he is out of burn. At some time he plays 2 Pyrostatic Pillar, probably thinking I'm combo elves, and I start casting big dudes to avoid the damage.
    Third game Bob doesn't show up, and it is easier tha the second.
    (2-1)
    3-0

Goblins:
    I start carefully, knowing what the small green dudes are cabable of. Start with Llanowar, Vanquisher and lord, keep them on defense, and land survival. I flood the battlefield with pointy ears, and he don't have enough Goblins.
    Second game he starts with Vial and WarrenWeirding in my Llanowar, gaining the turn he needed to keep the advantage the whole game.
    Third game I have a good hand, and cast some mana dorks and lords while he plays Lackey and Matron. I cast Survival and fetch for a Mountain, and he plays a Goblin King :(. His lackey connects with mountainwalk, but just another lackey joins the party. In my turn, I survival for Goblin Pyromancer and the game is pretty much over. Emrakul kills him.
    (2-1)
    4-0

BG Depths:
    He finds the combo pretty quickly both games. First game I don't really stand a chance, second one I have survival to search for Magus of the Moon, but he discards it.
    (0-2)
    4-1

Enchantress - ID
    (0-0)
    4-1-1

Top8: Death and Taxes - First game he has a god hand, with Vial, Mom, Ethersworn Cannonist, Mangara and Karakas. I play a bunch of elves, and he couldn't explain the rules when doing the Mangara-Karakas trick, so the judge make him remove from the game his Mangara along with my Titania's Priest. I take some Flickerwisp beats (the same that took the counters from my Warcaller, by the way) but Imperious Perfect put enough tokens in the battlefield for an alpha-strike.
    Second game he also have a good hand, with vialed Flickerwisp on Oblivion ring (that he also couldn't explain how worked, but anyway), but I have lords and a Packmaster. After some beats from Serra Avenger and Flickerwisp, I draw a Krosan Grip and my second Imperious Perfect return from the Oblivion, allowing me another alpha-strike.
    (2-0)

Top4: ProBant - First game he FoWs my Vanquisher just to see survival landing next turn. I survival for Titania discarding Anger, draw Titania in the fourth turn and in the Fifth turn I play and angry Emrakul.
    Second game he mulligans to 5, Needle my Survival and plays Progenitus pretty quickly.
    Third game I play too many lords, finishing him with forestwalk.

In the finals I'd face the BG Depths again, but there's no sense in playing it as the top2 are invited to the national championship.

Props:
    Pizza + Street Fighter 2 + Samurai Showdown in Nuclear's House (Nuclear the nickname of a teammate).
    Fuzzy, the pyromaniac, having fun burning everybody's butt - except Iona's.
    Nuclear, the Jesus of the fluffy little animals :). No one escapes from him, not even Iona.
    Shimi, countertop's god.
    Maurão, teammate who sold me the Survival's when I decided to play this deck.
    Mayckol, helping me to get all the cards I needed.

Slops:
    Google Maps, taking us to the wrong place - believe it or not!
    Mayckol getting sick - literallly - during the champ.
    Maurão, his creatureless-Zoo and his particular metagame dominated by Enchantress.
    Scatena, for not showing. Shame on you!
    # The Bizarro Super Powers Team

Jun 2009
    Sao Paulo - Brazil

Re: Forestwalking to Top 2 in Taverna Dracon

Gratz!!!! Another Super Bizarro's Teammate in Brazilian's Legacy National Championship!!
    Super Bizarros Team.
    HUEHUEHUE BRBRBR. VIVA DILMA!!! EM NOME DE JESUS CRISTO!

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Shimi View Post
    Gratz!!!! Another Super Bizarro's Teammate in Brazilian's Legacy National Championship!!
    5 already,6 more to finish the job.

AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN I'm congratulating you for this awesome finish! Go Super Bizarros!

Also, Happy Birthday! =)

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Sorry I could not make it...

Congrats again dude!
    You deserved it.

And using a goblin against Goblins is mean...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Thread Information