Thread: Rookie Counterbalance question

Rookie Counterbalance question

Please forgive this rookie question, but I am relatively new to Magic and have a shaky understanding of the rules.

Consider the following scenario:
    You have the following cards in play:
    You have only a Brainstorm in hand.
    You have no knowledge of what is on top of your library.
    Your opponent casts a 3cmc spell you would like to counter with the Counterbalance.

My question is what is the best play here? Do you have to choose just one of the ways you can manipulate your library and hope the it works to find a 3cmc card that you can put on top, or can you try one method and if it doesn't work then decide to try another before the opponent's spell resolves?

Again, sorry for the rookie question, and thanks in advance for helping me learn this amazing game.

Cheers.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: Rookie Counterbalance question

Counterbalance is a triggered ability. As such, when your opponent plays their 3cmc spell, and balance trigger goes on the stack. Now, it's just like any other triggered ability. You can respond to it with as many things as you want. It's no different than any chain of spells or abilities that may come up--As long as something is on the stack you always have the chance to respond (unless it has split second!). So, You could top, activate the fetch, then top again, then activate your crystal ball, then voltaic key your ball, use it again, then brainstorm, then top. In particular, fetchland + top is one interaction that makes the counterbalance + top combination so potent, since you get to look at 6 cards to find the correct cmc for the spell.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Re: Rookie Counterbalance question

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation.

Thread Information