Thread: Mono Black Goblins (yes, it's bad, but it could be worse)

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

Mono Black Goblins (yes, it's bad, but it could be worse)

This deck came about as a pleasantly futile attempt to make a deck revolving around the cousins of the more popular red goblins: the boggarts. I was surprised when this iteration turned out to be...less terrible than I suspected. It uses the “stompy” acceleration suite to drop several utility goblins. The title is a work in progess:

The Insidious Flying Butt Pliers

3 Chrome Mox
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Warren Weirding
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Fodder Launch
    1 Boggart Mob
    4 Earwig Squad
    4 Mad Auntie
    1 Squeaking Pie Sneak
    4 Festering Goblin
    4 Prickly Boggart
    4 Boggart Harbinger
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 polluted delta
    1 Bojuka Bog
    11 Swamp

Sideboard:
    Probably includes things like
    dystopia
    cabal therapy
    graveyard hate
    creature killers.

Rational
    Moxen, rituals – like a favorite deck of mine, Angel Stompy, this deck banks on the explosiveness of the creatures and the inherent card advantage in Jitte to overcome the disadvantage of accelerants. These cards are integral to one of the deck's favorite plays, turn two earwig squad

Warren weirding – although edict effects run hot and cold, this is a great card to tutor for with the harbinger, and often a great turn two play.

Umezawa's jitte – An excellent card in decks that play creatures, as this one does. You can toss in more equipment, if you like.

Thoughtseize – I chose thoughtseize because I don't want to bank on making the right call with Cabal Therapy, nor run into a wall with the other discard spells, but I won't begrudge you for making a different choice. Cabal therapy does work well with festering goblin.

Fodder launch – Tutorable reach/removal. Seems passable

Boggart mob – generic large goblin. I'm not too thrilled about it.

Earwig squad – The muscle of the deck, along with some potentially good disruption. A great turn two play, although he is less effective later in the game. Which, I might add, sums up the deck as a whole.

Mad Auntie – A lord that fits the mana constraints pretty well. The regeneration ability might be good once in a while.

Squeaking Pie Sneak – just tossed in to replace an unnecessary land. One is actually a good number of this creature in this deck.

Festering Goblin – Now that mogg fanatic no longer trades with 2/2s, his corpse steps up as a defender in his stead.

Prickly Boggart – facilitates Earwig squad and wields a jitte, if necessary. With a few Aunties out, it can also put the pressure on. These were Knucklebone Witch at one point, but they rarely got large enough be better than an evasive creature.

Boggart Harbinger – I like this critter a lot, as he allows you to ensure you get that edict or utility critter for the next turn.

Tombs – I think three is a good number

1 bog/utility land – I have never really had a problem with the “comes into play tapped” feature. Might be useful in a pinch, but I wouldn't weep if it was cut.

General Strategy: Like most stompy decks, you want to mulligan into a curve and go bananas. A turn two Earwig squad is the best play. The harbinger is great for arranging edicts and grabbing the one fodder launch to go to the dome. Also like most stompy decks, you run out of gas quickly, so you need to be able to go all in with your opening hand.

Matchups: I shudder to think. If zoo is as big of a problem as I imagine it to be, then some warren pilferers might flesh things out.

So, I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions to improve the deck. I'm posting in this forum because I don't particularly care to splash for red. If you want to go in that direction, feel free.

Re: Mono Black Goblins (yes, it's bad, but it could be worse)

Needs more Cabal Slaver

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

Re: Mono Black Goblins (yes, it's bad, but it could be worse)

That it does, if for nothing other than the sideboard. Time to go rooting through the cards I usually delegate to tasks like cleaning out guinea pig cages. Thank you.

Thread Information