Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOM] Spoiler Discussion

Re: [SOM] Spoiler Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bigface View Post
    Emblems? I guess it'll be something like an Enchant Player permanent thing. Any thoughts? If so, Venser could become kinda powerful.
    We already have the rules for them, which came out because Elspeth now makes one.

It goes into the Command Zone (the same place planes, scheme cards, and EDH generals live) and stays there.

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post

INSANITY in Stax. Its an evasive 4 turn clock that deals with permanents, and actually lets you take advantage of any spare mana you are sitting on.
    I guess it also gives mono black another way to destroy enchantments and artifacts outside of nev disk and to a lesser extent gate to phyrexia.

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    I guess it also gives mono black another way to destroy enchantments and artifacts outside of nev disk and to a lesser extent gate to phyrexia.
    MBC is terrible in this format (and just about any format, really), and midrange and suicide aren't interested in the six mana price tag.

Also, that guy still doesn't fix Stax's problems. He's not good*, and neither is Stax.

*He might be good in Sneak Attack, though. Paying 1, then paying 2 to wipe out all or most of your opponent's nonland permanents seems good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigface View Post
    Emblems? I guess it'll be something like an Enchant Player permanent thing. Any thoughts? If so, Venser could become kinda powerful.
    An emblem is basically a simplified (from the rules perspective) way of saying "for the rest of the game, x happens".

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    MBC is terrible in this format (and just about any format, really), and midrange and suicide aren't interested in the six mana price tag.
    No one said otherwise.
    I do enjoy how every 5 or 6 mana card is always going to be awesome in stacks...every set.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I hate planeswalkers enough, why do they have to make proliferate give them instant ultimates?

Proliferate only adds 1 counter, it doesn't double it.

Still quite good, but it doesn't give you access to their ultimates immediately.

Also, we get a new Bonesplitter that's indestructible, but costs 2 to equip.

But Ezuri's Brigade looks pretty ridiculous. I mean, if some sort of affinity deck can consistently get 2GG, he would just be a 4 mana 8/8 trampler, and that's pretty darn tootin good.

I wasn't expecting them to spoil this so soon but they did. Most of the card is not lit, but I guess this is pretty much a safe guess.

Mox Opal 0
    LEGENDARY artifact
    Metalcraft - T: add one mana of any colour to your mana pool. Use this ability only if you control three or more artifacts.

"Only once have the suns of Mirrodin shone upon such perfection".
    Mythic rare

you can find the image here:

http://twitpic.com/2lci4j
    \"Is it just me or are magic players a very very special breed. Who else would try and determine the viability of a fold by what kind of ink was used? Or maybe its the people squinting at tiny illegible print or the people reviewing pages upon pages of this. We should all be detectives or something, because we are an amazing bunch here.\" - Beefybot at mtgnews.com

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    I wasn't expecting them to spoil this so soon but they did. Most of the card is not lit, but I guess this is pretty much a safe guess.

Mox Opal 0
    LEGENDARY artifact
    Metalcraft - T: add one mana of any colour to your mana pool. Use this ability only if you control three or more artifacts.
    That seems a tad more fair than I anticipated.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Mox Opal 0
    LEGENDARY artifact

"Only once have the suns of Mirrodin shone upon such perfection".
    Mythic rare

you can find the image here:

http://twitpic.com/2lci4j
    Urgh, 50+ dollars card. It's interesting since it basically need only 2 other artifact to be tappable, but i'm not sure if that's really viable in Legacy... For sure it's pretty sick in affinity as a 2-of, but it doesn't help Stax or brown that much :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Urgh, 50+ dollars card.
    It will probably drop quickly. Short of reprinting the artifact lands, this card is pretty weak in Standard, and even then it's merely fair thanks to being legendary. Not being able to do anything on turn one is pretty big, and if there aren't any artifact lands, it will probably not really get going until turn three or so. That makes it basically a glorified Overflowing Chalice, except you can't get more value out of it later in the game and the opponent can shut it off in certain circumstances.

They really did a good job of balancing it. It probably won't be broadly playable in any format.

Actually Starcitygames just posted Mox Opal at $20! When you think of it, just how many will you play per deck as a mana source? 4? Likely two tops.

Elspeth Tirel 3WW
    Planeswalker - Elspeth
    +2: gain one life for each creature you control
    -2: put three 1/1 white soldier creature tokens into play under your control
    -5: destroy all non-land, non-token permanents

Elspeth however... its already being sold at $40.

http://twitpic.com/2lchwm
    \"Is it just me or are magic players a very very special breed. Who else would try and determine the viability of a fold by what kind of ink was used? Or maybe its the people squinting at tiny illegible print or the people reviewing pages upon pages of this. We should all be detectives or something, because we are an amazing bunch here.\" - Beefybot at mtgnews.com

I might be way off here, but isn't Mox Opal good enough as a one-of?

In Vintage it can count as the sixth Mox and it can also be played in Legacy in... Affinity? Some combo decks also pack lots of cheap artifacts... don't they?

Honestly I've never bitched about cards being Mythics but Mox Opal being Mythic is like, to me, Zendikar fetches being Mythic; it just seems wrong.

May 2007
    Canada, eh?

T1: Artifact Land, Ornithopter, Mox Opal, Springleaf Drum (not absolutely necessary), Cranial Plating
    T2: Smash for at least 5.

Obviously won't happen all that often, but the potential is just insane. Also, if you draw multiples, it's just Ravager/Foundry food. Tap it for mana, sac it, play another one. 2 of sounds like the right number.
    Last edited by Avatar of Light; 09-04-2010 at 11:38 PM.

I might be way off here, but isn't Mox Opal good enough as a one-of?

In Vintage it can count as the sixth Mox and it can also be played in Legacy in... Affinity? Some combo decks also pack lots of cheap artifacts... don't they?
    It's legendary. In Vintage, needing two other Moxen in play seems like it will make the card weaker than Chrome Mox, since it's very unlikely to work on turn one and is pretty dead in your opener. In Legacy, combo decks don't want it because it's legendary and doesn't work unless you go it, Petal, LED or whatever (seems weak), and then if you draw another, you can't use it except to get free +1 storm. Affinity might like it, but I'm not sure it's better than Springleaf Drum (again, being legendary hurts it).

Maybe as a 2-of in Affinity, but it doesn't make that deck any less tier 2.5.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Dear Mox Opal,

Really really can't describe how bummed I am about this card. I was hoping for some kind of new Storm or Belcher include and what I got was a steaming pile of legendary mythic that needs conditions to work. So disappointing and really doesn't deserve the label of 'Mox'.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Thrummingbird + Ichor Rats seems fun...

Play this, you get poison, attack with evasion, proliferate you.

Have to say, the set looks interesting for Limited.

Also, pictures of Mox and others.

http://twitpic.com/2ldc7d
    http://twitpic.com/2lchef
    http://twitpic.com/2ldbta

Actually Starcitygames just posted Mox Opal at $20! When you think of it, just how many will you play per deck as a mana source? 4? Likely two tops.

Elspeth Tirel 3WW
    Planeswalker - Elspeth
    +2: gain one life for each creature you control
    -2: put three 1/1 white soldier creature tokens into play under your control
    -5: destroy all non-land, non-token permanents

Elspeth however... its already being sold at $40.

http://twitpic.com/2lchwm
    I'm really unsure about the new Elspeth. On one hand the ultimate, is exactly the 'complete' board sweeper that UW(x) Landstill is looking for (it's very similar to Pernicious Deed in function). But on the other hand, turn one you're going to be using -2 which puts it well within burn range and means you're another three turns away from the sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    Really really can't describe how bummed I am about this card. I was hoping for some kind of new Storm or Belcher include and what I got was a steaming pile of legendary mythic that needs conditions to work. So disappointing and really doesn't deserve the label of 'Mox'.
    What were you expecting? Free mana sources that give you two mana on turn one are generally really powerful. It was either something like this, or something broken.

EDIT: @Nizmox: she kills your Jace, TMS. Seems bad.

Thread Information