Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Venser, the Sojourner

Re: [SCD] Venser, the Sojourner

Any large morph creature could prove alright, and I'm not quite sure how it works but illusionary mask might work with it. Still looks like standard/casual power level more than legacy though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsaunder View Post
    It's super secret tech. How do you SB against Team America, AdN Combo, Landstill, Solidarity, AND Painter/Grindstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    First step: Uninstall Vista.

Second step: Install anything else, if you want windows, use XP.

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

In legacy, its bad. But in standard and possibly New Extended, it is a definite inclusion in the planeswalker decks as you can go bonkers with their - abilities and then zoom them out to reset the loyalty counters. Being able to helix with Red Ajani every turn and then reset his loyalty seems really good.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Do not think it has the Power level to be good in Legacy, but in new Extended maybe with Lark.dek it could be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kruchkow View Post
    In legacy, its bad. But in standard and possibly New Extended, it is a definite inclusion in the planeswalker decks as you can go bonkers with their - abilities and then zoom them out to reset the loyalty counters. Being able to helix with Red Ajani every turn and then reset his loyalty seems really good.
    I agree with this assessment. Between Wall of Omens, Sun Titan (well, Titans in general), Sea Gate Oracle, Mulldrifter and many, many more positive interactions in Standard and Extended, Venser is very good at surviving while providing significant CA leading to either alpha-striking your opponent or to ultimate and barrage their permanents into exile. Venser is the best card for Standard spoiled so far.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

An interesting thing you can do with him is to use the unblockable ability over and over then blink himself to reset the counters. That's kind of cheap.

Trample, Haste
    Mar 2009
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Benjammn View Post
    I agree with this assessment. Between Wall of Omens, Sun Titan (well, Titans in general), Sea Gate Oracle, Mulldrifter and many, many more positive interactions in Standard and Extended, Venser is very good at surviving while providing significant CA leading to either alpha-striking your opponent or to ultimate and barrage their permanents into exile. Venser is the best card for Standard spoiled so far.
    Totaly agreed. It's good with something that has a god CIP or draws cards.

Anyways another thing could possibly be Standstill. Bounce it, play and then it returns before that player's turn..
    Team Stimato

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    He told you a foil from Time Spiral was Summer?
    This man must be a Jedi.

Custom User Title

Feb 2005

Seems good and very fun in casual. Sorcery-speed blinking can - what, unmorph something, get a etb or lb effect, untap something, reset counters ... at five mana, I'm not seeing it. It would need a lot of support to really shine and I highly doubt a deck half-full of things that jive with Venser would be better than a deck full of good things that jive with any of the good PWs.

If the second ability were any good you could refuel your counters by blinking Venser himself every other turn, but even that seems brittle. If you have a deck that wants unblockability, a one-shot effect should do on turn five unless you were never really in the game - at which point you're not in a position to race anyway. Nice, but compared to other options, severely underwhelming.

Even the ultimate sucks. Yes, it sucks. You play this thing off five freaking mana, then three whole activations (a.k.a. "turns") and you have no immediate impact? You have to cast stuff before you cast Venser for it to be even remotely useful, then you have to cast stuff past its ultimate? No, the first ability is the only one that could be potentially useable, the second and third are nice boni but nothing more.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Might be good if there's something that says "When this ETB, proliferate."

In addition to CITB stuff, the 'disappear for a turn' stuff could be neat with:
    Stuff that has vanishing, fading, or cumulative upkeep like Maelstrom Djinn or Ancestral Knowledge.
    Since it's own and not control, you can use it with cards that exchange control like Gilded Drake or Puca's Mischief
    Obviously, you can use it to hide stuff from sweepers.
    Cards with 'leaves the battlefield' abilities like everything with unearth.
    Restrictor cards like Trinisphere.

I actually think that this will surpass Jace, the Mind ****er in cost. He has one very relevant ability, one aggro ability, and a bonkers Ultimate. 'Cast a spell, exile a permanent'? Nice hard-lock there with any instants, and awe-inspriing with Flashback cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post

Better pic. It looks pretty underpowered right now unless they print something with a pretty powerful CIP.
    The first ability is good for triggering CIP effects or for resetting loyal counters on planeswalkers.

The second ability allows a alpha strike for your creatures.

The third ability is freaking ridiculous.

Slithermuse anyone ?

Jan 2007
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    The first ability is good for triggering CIP effects or for resetting loyal counters on planeswalkers.

The second ability allows a alpha strike for your creatures.

The third ability is freaking ridiculous.
    Jace 2.0 is a much stronger card though, comes down 1 turn earlier, can protect itself and its ultimate actually wins the game.

Jan 2011
    Baltimore, MD

You could use it in combination with Kor Hookmaster or even Kor Cartographer to get an extra Plains out pretty much every turn.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by arwall View Post
    You could use it in combination with Kor Hookmaster or even Kor Cartographer to get an extra Plains out pretty much every turn.
    Yeah, but then you have to play Hookmaster or Cartographer

Jan 2011
    Baltimore, MD

Hookmaster isn't really a bad play. Cartographer is pretty costly, though for what it accomplishes.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Hookmaster is terrible. This is legacy, after all. Also, an extra plains per turn is hardly something you win games with. Take a look at the decks to beat forum (DTB) to get a grasp on what kind of decks are played. Do note that majority of the decks decide the game during the first 3-4 turns. Some are capable of winning in the first turn.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I actually think that this will surpass Jace, the Mind ****er in cost. He has one very relevant ability, one aggro ability, and a bonkers Ultimate. 'Cast a spell, exile a permanent'? Nice hard-lock there with any instants, and awe-inspriing with Flashback cards.
    It was avery long time since i saw somebody be more wrong than you

Hi all.

I'm new forum user, so hi everybody :).

I was looking on google opinions about this planeswalker when I landed in this post so I decided register and coment a "casual" combo for legacy tournments I think it could be fine for this planeswalker but maybe pro players won't like it but anyway I'm going to post and see what do you think. Sorry for opening again this old thread.

I have a white stax legacy deck. It's not a usual white stax because I recently added a blue splash because a card I saw that I liked: paradox haze which does the following:

At the beginning of enchanted player's first upkeep each turn, that player gets an additional upkeep step after this step.

So you add a additional upkeep to your opponent for each paradox haze you have in play. This is great to abuse tangle wires and smokestacks where if you have a smokestack with 1 counter and you have 2 paradox hazes you will force your opponent to sacrifice 3 permanents/turn, 1 normal upkeep and other 2 because of paradox hace effects. The same thing happens with tangle wires.

Advantages of Venser (in my particular deck):
    1) tangle wires always with 4 counters for your opponents: Well, the thing is that Venser allows to reset tangle wires counters because of the first skill: +2: Exile target permanent you own. Return it to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
    If you have 1 paradox haze on play you will tap always 8 permanents to your opponent and you will make him sacrifice 2 permanents with a smokestack with 1 counter, and you can always reset smokestack counters in case you are not interested on keep destroying things
    2) Smokestacks counters reset: if you have the game controlled then you can reset smokestacks counters.
    3) You can tap city of traitors to get 2 colorless manas from them then exile it and play another city of traitors and you won't need to destroy the first one.

For other decks or builds:
    4) If you have a green splash, you could use Knight of the Reliquary ability, use Venser ability and you will have at the end of your turn Knight of the Reliquary untapped so you could use ability after have attacked with it or have used Knight of the Reliquary ability previously.
    5)If you have stoneforges and several equipments in the deck you could search several with this planeswalker ability
    6) If you have Bone Shredder (Mox diamond/scrubland) you could kill no black/artifacts creatures.

I think this card has potential in legacy specially the third ability where you exile permanents each time you play a spell.

Regards.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That sounds very interesting, but you are more likely to get the input you seek if you start a new thread. Put your list and what you see as it's advantages in a thread in the Developing forum and I will dig into it with you. I love Stax.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information