Thread: Tarmogoyf and Duplicant make out

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Tarmogoyf and Duplicant make out

So, basically, i've found a thread here on the source dated 2007 that said that a duplicant removing a goyf is a 0/0. I've searched some more, and some other forum, dated 2008, say duplicant P/T is the same as tarmogoyf as if it were in play, since the ability of tarmogoyf works in all zone.

Which one is the correct one? Thx in advance.

Re: Tarmogoyf and Duplicant make out

The rules evolve over time, but Characteristic Defining Abilities have worked in all zones since Wild Pair was printed as far as I can recall. Tarmogoyf's power/toughness CDA works while exiled, and has since it was printed as far as I can remember.

Tarmogoyf 1G
    Creature -- Lhurgoyf
    Tarmogoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.
    */1+*

Duplicant 6
    Artifact Creature -- Shapeshifter
    Imprint -- When Duplicant enters the battlefield, you may exile target nontoken creature.
    As long as the exiled card is a creature card, Duplicant has that card's power, toughness, and creature types. It's still a Shapeshifter.
    2/4
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Mar 2010
    faster harder Scooter!

Not wanting to start trouble here, but during a draft I participated in some years ago, the opponent had some clone like creature (I forget which) and a similar situation took place. The judge ruled in a different way then what you described.

Dan
    Sep 2008
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Wally View Post
    Not wanting to start trouble here, but during a draft I participated in some years ago, the opponent had some clone like creature (I forget which) and a similar situation took place. The judge ruled in a different way then what you described.
    "Some years ago" the rules may very well have been different.
    Rules Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Wally View Post
    The judge ruled incorrectly then, unfortunately. The interaction never worked the way you posted, unless it was before 6th edition or something. Before the most recent change, for a long time (probably since 6E), CDAs just only worked in play - if you Duplicanted a Goyf under that old rule, you'd get a 0/1.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information