Thread: Official Cockatrice thread

Hybrid View

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Official Cockatrice thread

More than a "new" MWS, it's intended as a successor of it since it still lacks some fundamental function and basically no one play on it. But it has a lot of nice perks:

- works nicely on a mac, no parallels or things
    - auto-download of cards picture, no more 100000 imports
    - you can copy a deck to the deckbuilder with a simple copy-paste
    - you can test alone with two differents deck one against another
    - it's much clearer to see and don't crash as often as MWS
    - before a game you'll see your whole deck on a "virtual" table, similarly to MtGO
    - it's updated regularly on cockatrice.de

The problems? There are no players on it and it has an awkward interface when you play, cards will get piled in strange ways and your hand it's vertical by default (but you can set it horizontal).
    I'm using it mainly because it work good on mac (lol at MWS crashes) and i can test two decks a particular matchup with no need of a mate over internet.

Program can be found here

Hope this get some positive reviews, i've been positively impressed by it.
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 06-16-2017 at 11:47 AM.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Re: Gentlemen, take a look at Cockatrice, the new MWS

Tried it just now. Some very nice features, such as on-the-fly card picture download and (in theory) multiplayer support. But it's still nowhere near ready for regular use: for example, it crashed every time I drew an arrow and I could not manage to start an actual multiplayer game (the "ready to start" button would stop working). Once that is fixed, it'll need some more basic polish, such as dynamic card picture resizing - they're nearly unreadable on a 1920x1080 screen.

If these issues are solved, I can see it becoming a contender. But I wouldn't go around spreading it too much until it's ready to take on the network effect of MWS, or its reputation will be perma-ruined.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Utterly mindtwisted
    Jun 2006
    Bielefeld, Germany

I'm using Cockatrice since its beginning and can highly suggest it. The developers are pretty ambitious at implementing new features or fixing bugs.

@ network effect: Just perma ban Spanish and Italian IPs. Simple but effective. :)

Sep 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

Hi. I'm the primary author of the program. Thanks for your interest :)
    I apologize for the stability issues. Things were stable before the release of the latest version, I suppose the new features could've been tested more thoroughly before releasing. I'm probably going to make a fixed release this weekend or next week.
    your hand it's vertical by default (but you can set it horizontal).
    The hand is vertical by default because it's just better that way. It may take a bit of time getting used to it, but it actually saves a lot of space on the screen. The horizontal option was included for all the haters :) If all of you think it should be horizontal by default, it can be done, I don't really care.
    it has an awkward interface when you play, cards will get piled in strange ways
    Would you please elaborate on that? I don't understand what you mean :) You know, pretty much everything can be fixed.
    dynamic card picture resizing - they're nearly unreadable on a 1920x1080 screen
    Card pictures are always re-rendered when you change their size, so the quality is already the highest possible. If you're using the auto-downloaded ones, it's because of them being blurry in the first place (check Gatherer, that's where the pictures come from). A higher quality can be achieved by using MWS-like HQ scans.
    On a side note, you're not supposed to be able to read the text of the cards lying on the table. This is just not possible with current monitor resolutions. For this, you have the big picture displayed on the right (and the oracle text box below it).

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I can't get it to work, though I am a n00b. It "Cockatrice - Disconnected" and will proceed to show me a blank page. Figured everyone here could help since they got it working, and the creator of the program himself is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

I had that problem too until I tried exploring.

Once you download it, launch "Oracle". Go to the file menu and click "download (something or another)".
    Then you can download the sets.

After that's done, you can launch Cockatrice, and it'll ask for some file paths. You make decks go to "Decks" and pictures go to "Pics" and make card set to go "cardset.xml" or something like that, which is a newly created file after Oracle is finished.

Then using the file menu at the "Cockatrice - Disconnected" screen, you can create new decks and start modes such as local and connected.

I hope that helps!

Btw, mbruker, this program is fantastic. I'm on a Mac and to me this runs just like MWS. (I'll be joining your forums to let you know of bugs on the Mac version as I come across them). It's just so great that I don't have to sleeve up proxies of decks anymore and play against other proxied decks.

I haven't tried this yet, but is it possible for someone on the Mac version to connect to someone on the Windows version?

Thanks for making this.
    I'm a musician and would love your support.
    Please visit www.samandluke.com and check out the debut album, Standing in a Room!

--- Decks that Storm ---
    --- Also Goblins for when I don't feel like thinking ARRGH GOBLINS ---

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Shimster View Post

@ network effect: Just perma ban Spanish and Italian IPs. Simple but effective. :)

Poor Spanish and Italians, they get shafted by ebay and now this.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Tried it just now. Some very nice features, such as on-the-fly card picture download and (in theory) multiplayer support. But it's still nowhere near ready for regular use: for example, it crashed every time I drew an arrow and I could not manage to start an actual multiplayer game (the "ready to start" button would stop working). Once that is fixed, it'll need some more basic polish, such as dynamic card picture resizing - they're nearly unreadable on a 1920x1080 screen.

If these issues are solved, I can see it becoming a contender. But I wouldn't go around spreading it too much until it's ready to take on the network effect of MWS, or its reputation will be perma-ruined.
    LOL! I read "network effect" and then reflexively opened up wikipedia only to discover that I could just click the link.

Your source for new vocabulary.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

If there's going to be new MWS, its probably OPT, which is nearing its 1.0 release, and is being developed for 3 years.

Aug 2007
    Bielefeld, Germany

Do you have a link?
    Never heard of OPT.
    Originally Posted by Pinder
    Turns out that some weird chemical reaction between the Twinkie filling and Ranch Dressing opens up a portal straight into Hell, through which the Devil is then able to shit directly into your mouth.

May 2010
    abqnm

Things I would like:

- Doing something about how unreadable cards are when using a smaller monitor...having to hover over every card in your hand to figure out what they are through the oracle text is a pain...same with stuff on a cluttered battle field. Even an option to scale up the card display area + cards might be ok.

-Some function for die rolls/coin flips for the cards which require them and to determine who goes first...unless there is one and i missed it ;P

-Way to change who controls something plus putting it on their side of the field. for stuff like gilded drake

-List of Hotkeys, accessible in game

-A hotkey for advancing to the next phase/step

Minor Tweaks:
    -Card manipulation options to indicate when you discard cards from your hand, sacrifice permanents etc. instead of just "move to graveyard" to create a clearer game record/ avoid ambiguities.

That's all i can think of after messing around with program for a just a little bit. I like the effort overall though and my bad if the functionality i asked for exists and I was just to dumb to figure out how to make it work.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by TeKo View Post
    Do you have a link?
    Never heard of OPT.
    http://www.onlineplaytable.com/

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Cockatrice

Cockatrice...

So I know there've been a million threads for MWS and Cockatrice and such in the mish mash, but there hasn't been one for like 9 pages back so...

Yeah.

There's replays now. In the most updated version (14).

That means its going to be fairly straight forward for people to see how a deck is actually played beyond just talking about theory and experience. Granted people already post feature matches, youtube videos, livestreams, etc. but this is a program that people already use. Pretty stoked on this new feature.

I'm sure all the OPs in the competitive forums will actually be able to show people how their deck works now without a bunch of redundant (how does this work) and such. Also, perhaps the MWS thread about people's hilarious experiences can get reopened now that you can easily just watch what happened, especially for hilarious games. For example, I had a hilarious game of Stasis vs. Blue Severance Belcher a while back. We only played game 1 and it took nothing short of 3 hours. Not that anyone would ever watch that, but regardless, it would be sick. That or we can just post replays here.

Also, the program keeps expanding its options a lot more. Everything is becoming more organized, easy to use, and comes with new features every time. Seriously happy with these developers.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Cockatrice

This seems like something that should go in a Magic related section of the site, not the literal "Non-Magic" forum.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Agreed.

The replay system is actually mediocre right now. It only shows the text on the side rather than the game itself. I'm sure they'll upgrade the system eventually though so that you can actually watch the game.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Agreed.

The replay system is actually mediocre right now. It only shows the text on the side rather than the game itself. I'm sure they'll upgrade the system eventually though so that you can actually watch the game.
    It actually shows the game itself, it's just very buggy and often doesn't load the table.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Re: Official Cockatrice thread

I see. I haven't yet gotten it to show the table yet. Perhaps in the next few versions it will be less buggy. Then OPs will have an easy time showing example games of utilizing matchup specific sideboard tech, complex lines of play, etc.

Thread Information