Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Cockatrice thread

Oct 2007
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: Gentlemen, take a look at Cockatrice, the new MWS

As previously explained somewhere else on these boards, the MWS shuffler works "bad" becouse it's actually random. As opposed to real life shuffling, which is influenced a a lot by shuffling techniques. So I'm not exaclty sure what you'd want to have fixed about that, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    ..we all know that the Dutch are to Magic what Koreans are to Starcraft.

keepin' it unreal
    May 2007
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I really liked it!

One thing thou, can I choose what image it displays for certain cards? I'd like to play with my Mirage Forests, ya know, not Zendikar ones. Anyway, just a small detail that would make it feel more confy. :D

Other than that, no complains yet.
    "Want all, lose all."

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by leander? View Post
    As previously explained somewhere else on these boards, the MWS shuffler works "bad" becouse it's actually random. As opposed to real life shuffling, which is influenced a a lot by shuffling techniques. So I'm not exaclty sure what you'd want to have fixed about that, really.
    MWS could implement a shuffling algorithm that actually simulates shuffling as opposed to moving cards to random spots. Or people could just learn to shuffle their damn decks more and get over it.

Graphics are in my mind.
    Dec 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mbruker View Post
    [...snip]
    The actual reason is that I haven't been testing with Qt 4.5 lately, and they apparently have changed a function call between 4.5 and 4.6. I've made a Qt version check there, so please test the latest git version.

I wasn't aware that this is such an important thing to have. No problem implementing it though. Maybe this evening... :)
    Thanks; it is working now. I can test it on an Arch system as well later.
    Red Wizard needs food badly!

Downloaded it. So far haven't been able to get anyone to join a game, though.

edit: managed to get in a game against Merfolk. really nice program, I'll be using it more often. Oh, and allowing spectators is awesome.
    Last edited by jamis; 09-14-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Tried it just now. Some very nice features, such as on-the-fly card picture download and (in theory) multiplayer support. But it's still nowhere near ready for regular use: for example, it crashed every time I drew an arrow and I could not manage to start an actual multiplayer game (the "ready to start" button would stop working). Once that is fixed, it'll need some more basic polish, such as dynamic card picture resizing - they're nearly unreadable on a 1920x1080 screen.

If these issues are solved, I can see it becoming a contender. But I wouldn't go around spreading it too much until it's ready to take on the network effect of MWS, or its reputation will be perma-ruined.
    LOL! I read "network effect" and then reflexively opened up wikipedia only to discover that I could just click the link.

Your source for new vocabulary.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

If there's going to be new MWS, its probably OPT, which is nearing its 1.0 release, and is being developed for 3 years.

Aug 2007
    Bielefeld, Germany

Do you have a link?
    Never heard of OPT.
    Originally Posted by Pinder
    Turns out that some weird chemical reaction between the Twinkie filling and Ranch Dressing opens up a portal straight into Hell, through which the Devil is then able to shit directly into your mouth.

May 2010
    abqnm

Things I would like:

- Doing something about how unreadable cards are when using a smaller monitor...having to hover over every card in your hand to figure out what they are through the oracle text is a pain...same with stuff on a cluttered battle field. Even an option to scale up the card display area + cards might be ok.

-Some function for die rolls/coin flips for the cards which require them and to determine who goes first...unless there is one and i missed it ;P

-Way to change who controls something plus putting it on their side of the field. for stuff like gilded drake

-List of Hotkeys, accessible in game

-A hotkey for advancing to the next phase/step

Minor Tweaks:
    -Card manipulation options to indicate when you discard cards from your hand, sacrifice permanents etc. instead of just "move to graveyard" to create a clearer game record/ avoid ambiguities.

That's all i can think of after messing around with program for a just a little bit. I like the effort overall though and my bad if the functionality i asked for exists and I was just to dumb to figure out how to make it work.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by TeKo View Post
    Do you have a link?
    Never heard of OPT.
    http://www.onlineplaytable.com/

Dec 2006
    Spain

OPT only works in Windows, doesn't have any docs, and it's closed source. Maybe some people don't care about it, but is a must one for me.

Imho OPT sucks cuz it is to slow. You have to wait 1/4 sec for every action you take. This sounds not much, but it simply doesnt feel smooth. OPT is just to clunky!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Sep 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

Quoted from the Cockatrice website.
    A new release is ready on the download page. This one mostly addresses bugs regarding stability. A full list of users on the server has been included, as well as direct chat.
    Have fun.

Capabilities missing in Cockatrice that I noticed when playing a few games this afternoon:

-Using Jace, The Mind Sculptor's first ability. It's hard to fateseal someone unless they exile the top card (letting them see the card when they aren't supposed to) and then you decide if they put it on bottom or on top.

-Using cards like Extirpate. It's hard for a player to search through their opponent's library. All the opponent can do is remove the cards themselves. Same goes with searching the player's hand, without them presenting it forward on the table - card by card. We mustn't forget that these cards are supposed to let you look at the contents of the opponent's library too.

Also, when you put cards on top of your library from your hand -- does it show the cards to your opponent? Because in the chat window it shows the card when I do it, yet it doesn't show the name of cards when my opponent does it. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly, so more information on that would be much appreciated.

I can post more when I discover it. Two separate buttons - one for addition, the other for subtraction - would make controlling your life total much better. Using the menu or clicking the life total and then using two fingers up or down on my Macbook track pad is kind of awkward, imo.

I like it better than Workstation because it doesn't crash. Workstation crashed everytime I messed around it on my desktop PC (with good specs, etc even). Cockatrice works perfect and has a very friendly, simple interface on my MacBook. Not sure how it stands on the PC platform.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by leander? View Post
    The MWS shuffler is only "actually random" for decks of a size of 11 cards or less, due to limitations of the integer type used to store the random number.
    Plus, MWS actually implements real-world shuffling techniques. It just doesn't use them during gameplay.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Dec 2006
    Spain

I sent the spanish translation of Cockatrice to the developers and them add it to the official release.
    You'll can choose "Español in the next version (or now if you download the sources and compile by yourself).

If anyone want to translate it to his foreign language and want some help, PM me. It's easy.
    Currently German, English and Spanish are supported.

To test it, you can fin more players at European night, between 21:00 and 01:00, I believe that this is 3:00pm-7:00pm UTC

Sep 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

Quoted from the Cockatrice website:
    A new release is available on the download page.

ATTENTION:
    - You have to recompile your card database using the oracle tool when upgrading. Not doing so will result in cards being placed very awkwardly.
    - The new address of the server is play.cockatrice.de. The old server on cockatrice.de is not compatible with the new client version and is going to be shut down eventually.

This release fixes a couple of bugs and also introduces some new features and improvements:
    - The table height was reduced to three rows. "Temporary" cards are now in an extra zone on the left. This leads to a higher zoom factor when there are not a lot of cards in one row.
    - Zones can now be revealed to selected/all players. Revealing a card from your hand at random is also supported.
    - Middle-clicking a card or a card name in the message log opens a popup window showing all the information about the card. This makes the info area in the top right corner superfluous, which is why you can now minimize it if you don't need it.
    - Improved text rendering on cards.
    - Card tap/untap animation
    - Spanish translation by Gocho
    - Avatar support (though you can't change your avatar yet)
    - and many minor changes you will discover yourselves.

Have fun.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

I've played a couple of games with the new version, and it's definitely much more stable - it never crashed on me at all.

Feature/bugfix request, sorted by importance:

- When spectating, card pictures didn't automatically download for me as they did when I was playing.
    - I should be able to manipulate cards in my opponent's library that have been revealed to me (for stuff like Portent). If that is complicated, at least it should be possible to move cards from the top to the bottom of one's library without looking at them, for Jace TMS.
    - Automatically displaying the printed P/T on creatures as they enter the battlefield would be extremely useful
    - The custom messages I add under "Settings" don't seem to appear anywhere.
    - In the right-click menu for cards in hand, "Flip" doesn't work and should be replaced by "Play this card face down" (most people won't remember Shift+double click).

- Hotkeys for adding/removing counters and for altering P/T on the fly would be nice
    - An (optional) sideboarding interface more similar to that of the Deck Editor? And/or a button to sort them by CMC (more relevant to SB considerations) rather than by type?
    - Saving frequently used token types, MWS-like?
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

I've been having problems with the server lately. I tells me "Server Timeout" and stops working. Any ideas about what could me wrong?
    It's also scientifically proven that resolving Nicol Bolas during a competitive legacy event causes the caster's penis to grow a good two or three inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.

Sep 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

- When spectating, card pictures didn't automatically download for me as they did when I was playing.
    That shouldn't make a difference. Do you remember the exact circumstances, or can you even reproduce it?
    - I should be able to manipulate cards in my opponent's library that have been revealed to me (for stuff like Portent). If that is complicated, at least it should be possible to move cards from the top to the bottom of one's library without looking at them, for Jace TMS.
    It's not complicated, it would just be inconsistent since you can't manipulate your opponent's stuff anywhere else in the game either. Putting the card on bottom without looking at it is possible by moving it face down to the table and then moving it back. There might be an easier way to do it in the future.
    Your other points will be considered eventually :)
    I tells me "Server Timeout" and stops working.
    This has got to have something to do with your connection to the server. The server itself doesn't seem to have any stability problems right now. Are you sure it's not your internet connection?

Thread Information