Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Cockatrice thread

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Gentlemen, take a look at Cockatrice, the new MWS

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    So I'm trying to connect to cockatrice.de but keep getting Socket Error: Connection Refused? What gives?
    That's the old address. Check their website for the newest link.

Sep 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

Can it handle the pictures I already got for MWS? If so, I'll try it.
    Yes.
    Also, can it handle .mwdeck?
    Yes.
    When should I expect MBS to be in my card database?
    As stated in the news on the website, you have to re-run your Oracle downloader. MBS has been online since last Friday.

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

Can't recommend this enough. I've only played like 10 games, but absolutely no problems so far. If i tried playing 10 with MWS, i probably wouldve only gotten through 2 with no problems. Very easy to use and navigate and find games. Awesome job guys!

Nov 2006
    London

I haven't read this thread at all, but I used cockatrice for a little bit and it's great. I just wish there were more people [in the U.S.] online.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

It keeps saying that I have a wrong source to card database. Anyone have a solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Sep 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    It keeps saying that I have a wrong source to card database. Anyone have a solution?
    You need to run the Oracle tool first. Then point Cockatrice to the cards.xml file that was generated by Oracle.

Mar 2012
    First Hill

Cockatrice is cool. I'm glad it exists, and it is a useful way to test deck ideas.

But it's also pretty frustrating at times. I can't count how many times my opponent has kicked me out of the game, or just logged off, because my Pox deck was pissing him/her off, or because they didn't like the way the game was going, or because they mulled down to three and didn't like it. It can sometimes take quite a while to get a real game going, despite the fact that everyone has logged in for the same reason (to play Magic).
    Pox
    Stax
    Deadguy Ale
    Death and Taxes

Guess not all people log on just to play some magic, but rather for a little trolling too.

I have to admit that the ratio of idiots/decent people is lower than on MWS, but we'll have to see what happens if the use of Cockatrice becomes more widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by berksowl View Post
    Cockatrice is cool. I'm glad it exists, and it is a useful way to test deck ideas.

But it's also pretty frustrating at times. I can't count how many times my opponent has kicked me out of the game, or just logged off, because my Pox deck was pissing him/her off, or because they didn't like the way the game was going, or because they mulled down to three and didn't like it. It can sometimes take quite a while to get a real game going, despite the fact that everyone has logged in for the same reason (to play Magic).

I also hate when im actually trying to improve my skills with storm or dredge, because guess what they are a part of legacy. When i feel the format is open for them to dominate i would like to be good at them. They kick me from games or refuse to play board games. (dredge testing is only really relevant post board!)

Well my name on cockatrice is Rekk.

message me if you wanna test (message me on either here or cockatrice )

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Cockatrice

Cockatrice...

So I know there've been a million threads for MWS and Cockatrice and such in the mish mash, but there hasn't been one for like 9 pages back so...

Yeah.

There's replays now. In the most updated version (14).

That means its going to be fairly straight forward for people to see how a deck is actually played beyond just talking about theory and experience. Granted people already post feature matches, youtube videos, livestreams, etc. but this is a program that people already use. Pretty stoked on this new feature.

I'm sure all the OPs in the competitive forums will actually be able to show people how their deck works now without a bunch of redundant (how does this work) and such. Also, perhaps the MWS thread about people's hilarious experiences can get reopened now that you can easily just watch what happened, especially for hilarious games. For example, I had a hilarious game of Stasis vs. Blue Severance Belcher a while back. We only played game 1 and it took nothing short of 3 hours. Not that anyone would ever watch that, but regardless, it would be sick. That or we can just post replays here.

Also, the program keeps expanding its options a lot more. Everything is becoming more organized, easy to use, and comes with new features every time. Seriously happy with these developers.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Cockatrice

This seems like something that should go in a Magic related section of the site, not the literal "Non-Magic" forum.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Agreed.

The replay system is actually mediocre right now. It only shows the text on the side rather than the game itself. I'm sure they'll upgrade the system eventually though so that you can actually watch the game.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Agreed.

The replay system is actually mediocre right now. It only shows the text on the side rather than the game itself. I'm sure they'll upgrade the system eventually though so that you can actually watch the game.
    It actually shows the game itself, it's just very buggy and often doesn't load the table.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Re: Official Cockatrice thread

I see. I haven't yet gotten it to show the table yet. Perhaps in the next few versions it will be less buggy. Then OPs will have an easy time showing example games of utilizing matchup specific sideboard tech, complex lines of play, etc.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else ever had this issue. When I go to save my games, I name them and save them as .cod's in the Cockatrice Decks Folder. However, when I try to open a folder from there, the archive makes it look like all those folders are empty. But, when I manually search through that pathway via the start menu, all the files appear there.

Has anyone else had the files not show up when Loading or Saving Games, but are actually present? This has been VERY frustrating.

-Matt

any advice on redefining shortcuts? // chat phrases management? the classic Fxx shortcut doesn't work for me and going via 2 mouse dialogues is time consuming and clumsy in comparison to MWS, it's the only thing that holds me back from using the software... well the MWS has also better UI space mng but I should survive that...

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

am I the only one for whom Cockatrice (in it's entirety) appears to be dead today?

I mean I can't get the cockatrice website to load, nor can I log onto either the 4747 server or the 4749 server. And I have a registered account so I should have a priority log on. Is this happening for anyone else?
    "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever... He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe... and... he's wonderful."

Apr 2012
    WI

So have they added the option to add people to your friends list even when they are offline yet? I just started using Cockatrice a lot but don't really have a friends list and would love to get some source users on my list for legacy games.

Just got done with a 9 game, 3 match set with a great guy and oh man was it some perfect Legacy. I may be a tad biased though since I won all 3.

Hymn -> brainstorm in response. Catch only lands.
    Karakas Clique locks, and a game lost due to me getting greedy and using Garruk to remove a Clique at 2 life when I could have abrupt decay'd. Spell pierce'd caught me being greedy. Had the chance to stabilize since I was up 5 cards with all gas too.
    Perfect read on a wasteland, opponent complaining about lack of lands so I dug hard with library into another 2 wastelands to super seal the deal.

Anyways my username is godofallu on cockatrice too and i'll be hanging online for a while while I watch some star trek and play a few more matches. Feel free to add me if you read this and like legacy.

Wouldn't mind playing a few legacy games - look me up by my username! Eastern timezone in the U.S. here.

Jul 2010
    Columbus, OH

Been using this with a friend lately. Very happy with the application. Only thing I need is some bigger display or alert when an opponent disconnects. Went through one of my turns yesterday and waited about 5 minutes, assumed the guy went afk. Looked back up in the chat log and found this tiny line "XYZ's session has ended." or something like that. Oh well!

Thread Information