Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono White Rebels Deck

Mar 2010
    Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

Mono White Rebels Deck

Hi,
    I’ve been testing a “rebels” deck, and is being very funny to play with it. It’s not a tier 1 deck, but with new ideas and tests it has potential to become something close to “competitive”.

The deck is based around the classic rebel ability. Pick your creatures from your library and put them directly into play. When Lorwyn was released, a card named Mirror Entity came and gave to the deck what was missing… A Kill condition! He is a Rebel too

The strategy consists in putting rebels and more rebels into the field, and when you have the game controlled you search your library for Mirror Entity. Then you know what to do

I will list here the cards that I considered and then the list.

CREATURES:

Strategy Creatures:
    - Ramosian Sergeant: It’s your basic first one drop, he will start your Army. Fast, versatile. Basically serves to get the Defiant Falcon. I want 4!

-Defiant Falcon: He is your searcher, and the principal Beater. With him you’ll get your lord, Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero. 4 FTW!

- Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero: When it’s in play, it’s your faster searcher. You don’t need to pay the additional mana to pick your rebels, and can “save” them putting them back to your library.Use 2-3
    - Amrou Scout/Ramosian Lieutenant: Same as Defiant Falcon, but with no flying and with attack/defense increased. If you don’t feel comfortable with 8 searchers, you can ad 1-2 of these.

The Rest:

- Whipcorder: Great card, has a great power and will make your opponent slow down when you are building your strategy. It is searchable, so we won’t need four of them. 2 is great.

- Cho-Manno, Revolutionary: Good card, if you like, use 2 max.

- Mirror Entity: Your Finisher. He will pump your creatures, principally the Defiant Falcons. 2 is Great. Having him in your library is better than in your hand, so if you draw one the another will be there waiting

- Defiant Vanguard: It will be a surprise to your opponent . You can even get it back with Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero. Use 1 Max.

- Aven Riftwatcher: An interessant card, gives you little amount of life and beat for 2 with flying.

Other Creatures to Consider:

- Children of Korlis: A good resp. same as Defiant Vanguard. Not sure about it, but good to consider.

- Knight of the Holy Nimbus: Just another rebel, I prefer to have Whipcorder.

- Amrou Seekers: A beater, but I’m not sure if it’s necessary.

- Nightwind Glider/Thermal Glider: The pro black one is for the sideboard, but the pro red can be used in main depending on your ambient.

SPELLS:

- Thran Turbine: Just the best non creature card in the deck. It makes everything easier. No doubt that we need 4 of them.

-Bound in Silence: Yes, he is a Rebel! . Nothing to explain here. Use 2-4.

-Shared Triumph. Good to pump your week creatures, but not a must. If you are thinking about use it, 3 is good.

- Swords to Plowshares/Path to Exile: The best white removals. As we already have Bound in Silence, 4 are too much. 2-3 is cool.

- Disenchant/Oblivion Ring: Nothing to say here, basic removals.

-Worship: I really like this one. In this deck it works really well, and when you have Cho-Manno, Revolutionary is even better. Not all decks have resps to this, so I would consider. 2-3.

- Pariah: If you will use this, it’s because you are using Cho-Manno, Revolutionary. Fragile “combo” (hahah), but really cool. 2 is great.

- Umezawa's Jitte: Great in any Creature based deck. 2 is a good number. I don’t think it’s necessary in this deck.

LANDS:

I think that 19 to 21 lands are cool.

- Plains: It’s the basic land

- Ancient Tomb: Not that necessary, 2 is good and 3 is max.

- Wasteland: No mystery here, just ad if you like.

THE LIST, after few tests.

2 - Ancient Tomb
    18 -Plains

4 -Ramosian Sergeant
    4 -Defiant Falcon
    3 -Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
    2 -Ramosian Lieutenant
    2 -Whipcorder
    2 -Cho-Manno, Revolutionary
    2 -Mirror Entity
    1 -Defiant Vanguard
    1 -Thermal Glider

4 -Thran Turbine
    3 -Bound in Silence
    3 -Shared Triumph
    3 -Swords to Plowshares
    2 -Disenchant
    2 -Worship
    2 -Pariah

The sideboard I didn’t builded, but there are no mysteries here…
    Please, any comments and suggestings are welcome.
    Later!
    Last edited by ArthurGress; 09-14-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Dec 2006
    Spain

Re: Mono White Rebels Deck

Why do you want to play MonoW Rebels if Wizards has printed Training Grounds?
    UW is a lot of better.

Mar 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Gocho View Post
    Why do you want to play MonoW Rebels if Wizards has printed Training Grounds?
    UW is a lot of better.
    thran turbine is pretty similar to training grounds. Uw is not that much better than this one.
    And i would like to keep this deck mono W and cheap.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurGress View Post
    thran turbine is pretty similar to training grounds. Uw is not that much better than this one.
    And i would like to keep this deck mono W and cheap.
    Actually, one of the advantages of running Uw is that you can protect your rebels via permission.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Dec 2006
    Spain

U gives you Fow, Daze, Standstill and Countertop...

Training Grounds is much better than Thran Turbine.
    It reduce cost of all your rebels at the same time, and is faster, you can T1: Sergeant, T2: TG, search rebel. You must to wait another turn with Turbine.
    And Lin Sivvi could recycle rebels for 2 at instant speed, which gives you funny plays in the combat phase.

If you want to keep it cheap, I understand that you don't want to add U, but UW looks better.

an old piece of tech is running Gaeas Cradle as a 1-2 of, just think Green mana as collorless. Excelent card for fast growing army decks.

Green/white and black/white also works. I preferred black/white "oreo" deck that allowed me to pull more creatures into the game. Hatred with Reverent Mantra was interesting. Considering the rise of Phyrexia, green or black seem to be more interesting depending on what the full block brings.

Reverant Mantra if you go pure white can act as both a counterspell and gives you a turn to go unblockable to finish the game. However, without a Mercadian Block I don't see rebels really evolving past its primitive stages right now. The tribe has a great bones, but it's still a very skeletal tribe.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

If you are considering black, you might want to run Necrotic Ooze from Scars of Mirrodin.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gocho View Post
    U gives you Fow, Daze, Standstill and Countertop...

Training Grounds is much better than Thran Turbine.
    It reduce cost of all your rebels at the same time, and is faster, you can T1: Sergeant, T2: TG, search rebel. You must to wait another turn with Turbine.
    And Lin Sivvi could recycle rebels for 2 at instant speed, which gives you funny plays in the combat phase.

If you want to keep it cheap, I understand that you don't want to add U, but UW looks better.
    This. I don't feel like rebels are really all that competitive without Training Grounds, because that card is the only reason why rebels can keep up with other decks. It might stand a chance against more control-oriented decks(Countertop, Faeries), but it would be pretty difficult to play against aggro or combo.

Dec 2006
    Spain

I refer to the UW list, but if you can get the Rebels engine (Recruiter + Training Grounds) working before combo kill you it's GG.

You can recycle Children of Korlis between the Storm spells, so you don't die from Tendrils, or the goblins tokens, and vs Reanimator Bound in Silence can enchant creatures with Shroud, I don't know if it can enchant Emrakul (any Judge in the room?).

He can race you, but if you put a recruiter and TG into play, you can defense yourself for only 1-2 mana open. When you cast Lin-Sivi, he can't win you without multiple defense spells.

Combo can change is way to kill you (reanimating a Terastodon and breaking your TG and a land for example) but it isn't so difficult to play against them.

Aggro seems 50/50 playing the combat Rebels, but depends on your list. Remember that you only need to get 3 mana to get all your creatures 5/5 with Mirror Entity and with enough mana you can chumpblock all the day.

ArthurGress, best of luck to you on making the Rebels work! I have always been interested in Rebels ever since the original Ramosian ones came out in Masques, though in Legacy I've been far from successful. The main problem comes from opposing aggro decks that will simply overpower you before you can start to search out your army. However, the Rebel engine has several advantages over other aggro decks, the main reason being able to quickly get the finisher, Mirror Entity, into play IMO. For a deck that focuses on getting multiple creatures out, a searchable creature that makes all your Rebels gigantic should be worthy of making a deck around.

First, how are 20 lands working out for you? Rebels are a very mana intensive creature type, so I prefer running 23-24 lands to help increase my chances of playing a land every turn for at least the first four turns. You never want to be short of mana with this deck, as you will not only be pumping out your creatures early in the game, but you will want to pump them all up considerably when you go for the lethal Mirror Entity swing. I think you should try adding some more nonbasic land, since the 18 Plains should more than cover all the white that you will be playing. As Genio said before, 2 Gaea's Cradle would give an explosive finish and have always worked well in Rebel decks. I would also try to fit in 4 Ancient Tombs total, to speed up each of the searchers by a turn. I dislike Wasteland in this deck because I do not want to sac it and hinder my own mana production. The Rebel engine allows you to use all of your mana available each turn, and I always plan to use my lands to deliver maximum mana each turn rather than set back my opponent.

I used to use Thran Turbine, but the two mana it gives you is only available during your upkeep. It is effectively a Soul Ring if you intend to go searching right at the beginning of your turn, but then you lose the chance to activate your Rebels in response to something your opponent does. If you really don't mind tapping out right away then you should definitely keep the Turbine, but I dislike leaving myself completely vulnerable each and every turn. I personally would just look for more "hard mana" sources to help you rather than conditional ones like the Turbine.

Your creature base looks good, but I'm not really sold on the Cho-Mannos. I think one should definitely be the max, since you can always search him out once you get a Pariah. When you're playing the deck, make sure to take note of which Rebels you use the most, and of the ones that don't get used much, which of those are in there simply because they are Rebels. For games where you are looking to finish the opponent quick, the chain of searchers up to the Mirror Entity are really the only completely necessary Rebels. Lin Sivvi comes out for long games or ones where you need to build up a large enough force, and I would say 2 of her max. All other Rebels should be 1-ofs at most, for special but common situations. One Whipcorder is probably fine, to take out quickly against an Iona or something big that cannot be left alone. Don't be afraid to replace Rebels with normal white weenie creatures that are just plain good, like Mother of Runes or Stoneforge Mystic.

For your spells, you might want to try to use some white "pitch" cards, such as Reverent Mantra as was suggested before. Having spells that you can cast without spending your precious mana should be looked at, since you will want to spend each turn's mana pumping out creatures. Searching out rebels rather than playing them also allows more cards to be stored in your hand, which is perfect for cards that offer discard costs instead of mana costs. The Mantra is sort of like a white swiss army knife; it can be a counterspell, a finisher to bypass blockers, save your own blockers from attackers, and it can even be used in response to your opponent targeting his own creatures with his spells. Definitely consider it. Another pitch card that could probably replace Disenchant if you up your land count is Abolish. With enough lands, you should have plenty of Plains to be able to discard for Abolish, plus Abolish is better at getting around Counterbalance and Chalice of the Void.

Also, good job on not giving in and adding blue! I've tried the blue version before with Training Grounds, and while it does give you a speed boost for searching as well as the FoW protection, the deck as a whole seemed too cluttered when trying to fit in at least 16 blue cards AND about 15 rebels. The mana base also becomes more messy, since if you want to still make use of the Ancient Tomb and Gaea's Cradle mana engines, then you risk color screw trying to add in so many fetches and duals. As a Stax player, I enjoy decks that simply play business spells right away rather than cards like TG that work well only if you have enough other cards to make use of them. Therefore, the extra Tombs and Cradles that fit in much better without an extra color work better than TG IMO. You don't really need Brainstorm to draw, since having a recruiting Rebel in play ensures a steady stream of things to do even if you're not drawing well. Well, I hope you find this useful. Let me know what you think and how your deck is doing. If you're interested, I can post my list.
    Last edited by Linkin Pac; 09-19-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added the visual cards to certain cards

Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Pac View Post
    Don't be afraid to replace Rebels with normal white weenie creatures that are just plain good, like Mother of Runes or Stoneforge Mystic.
    Bingo. Mother of Runes competes with your other one drops, assuming you run Training Ground, but Stoneforge Mystic can fetch up Jitte to break Merfolks' own, or as a way to pad your life total against burn and whatnot.

The Mantra is sort of like a white swiss army knife; it can be a counterspell, a finisher to bypass blockers, save your own blockers from attackers, and it can even be used in response to your opponent targeting his own creatures with his spells.
    Agreed, although your reasoning FOR including Mantra isn't really conducive to your argument against adding blue. If you can add enough blue to support Force of Will without diluting the rebel engine (and it's certainly possible to do so, given that with protection, it's easier to work your way up the rebel chain).

I've tried the blue version before with Training Grounds, and while it does give you a speed boost for searching as well as the FoW protection, the deck as a whole seemed too cluttered when trying to fit in at least 16 blue cards AND about 15 rebels. The mana base also becomes more messy, since if you want to still make use of the Ancient Tomb and Gaea's Cradle mana engines, then you risk color screw trying to add in so many fetches and duals.
    The problem with this is, while adding blue gives you *access* to countermagic, you don't *have* to use it. You could just be adding blue exclusively for Training Grounds, which is the huge boost to the strategy. You're going to have a very difficult time with combo without it, though. With Training Grounds in the deck, you really don't need the extra mana from Ancient Tombs and Gaea's Cradles, you just need the stability to drop your first one or two cards and then work from there, and at one to two mana per rebel, it shouldn't be very hard.

Here's a decklist I just whipped up, hopefully it'll be a good starting point:

4x Training Grounds

4x Ramosian Sergeant
    4x Defiant Falcon
    2x Amrou Scout
    3x Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero

1x Children of Korlis
    1x Dunerider Outlaw (blocks Tarmogoyf and stuff, survives Firespout)
    1x Whipcorder (handles fatties of various flavors)
    1x Thermal Glider (blocks goblins forever)
    1x Duskwing Glider (blocks tombstalkers, abyssal gatekeepers, faerie tokens, etc)
    1x Cho Manno, Revolutionary
    3x Bound in Silence
    2x Mirror Entity

2x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

That's 32, it would be fairly easy to plug in a few more business cards, whatever color they may be. Some of the rebels you might want to leave in the board, like the gliders.

Mar 2010

Linkin Pac,

Really liked your commentary, and i didnt had much time to test the deck, but i liked the idea of adding mana and using abolish and reverent mantra.
    The topic is open for splash's lists, but, like you said, i'll try to keep my Mono W. ^^ Thinking about adding 1-2 jittes on deck,
    When i have more ideas i'll share them,

Can you post your list?

Oct 2010
    Germany

Hello,

i've been trying to build a rebel deck. At the moment i'm using this list with okay success. The list is with the "usual" blue splash.

2 Lin Sivvi, Defiant hero
    4 Ramosian Sergeant
    2 Ramosian Lieutenant
    1 Defiant Falcon
    1 Amrou Scout
    1 Blightspeaker
    1 Big Game Hunter
    1 Mirror Entity
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Aven Riftwatcher

3 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to plowshares
    1 Bound in Silence
    4 Training Grounds
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Force of Will
    1 Meekstone
    4 Mana Leak
    2 Spell Pierce

20 Lands with Fetchies

Cards that i consider for this deck are

stifle
    daze
    Wrath of God (against Creature heavy decks)
    Reverent Mantra

At the Moment i have some trouble with my blue count. I think Force of Will or some sort of other counterspells are absolutly nessessary. Otherwise you loose to each of those:

Pernicious Deed
    Wrath of God (played by control decks obviously)
    Humility
    Firespout

and other Mass removal, not to mention the combo matchups.

The chances of winning in general are not that bad in my opinion. My only bad matchup is Zoo i guess, because they Bolt every rebel just the time it hits the battlefield. They only way to increase this matchup is to play more searchers , which is bad in almost every other matchup.

Merfolk, Goblins are around 50/50 or so.

I'm about to test it at tournaments in a while to look how it works in this situation.

But i missed the main point of playing this deck! It's actually one of the most funny decks i can imagine. Everytime my opponents are looking at Mirror Entity on turn 4 and realising that they lost after double checking all cards in play is just amazing.

- preddi

Dec 2006
    Spain

You must post in the UW Rebels thread.

I have a similar list (no black rebels).
    You can try Cataclysm + Flagstones of Trokair.
    After Cataclysm you get a search rebel, 2 lands, Training Grounds and possibly Meekstone. I was trying 2 Ancient Den, to reach 3 lands.
    Many decks can't recover fast after a one side Armageddon. And you can recover faster always.

Oct 2010
    Germany

The topic is open for splash's lists
    I tried running Cataclysm but i rarely won games with it. It looks good on paper though. The Problem is that Cataclysm is only good if you have Training Grounds with at least one searcher in play. That are games you will be winning anyway most of the time. Decks with Vial recover often faster than you.
    I don't think that a few niches are worth running this card, but if you want to play it you should add the artifact lands such as seat of the synod.

The black rebels are great in my experience. Blightspeaker is for attack locks and cards like Worship. Big Game Hunter is obviously for spot removal. BGH is one of the most searched targets against every creature heavy deck. I recommend it.

With the Enlightened Tutor Toolbox i'm running one Worship and/or Story Circle might be a good choice as well.

- preddi

]I don't like blue in the deck. I feel like it makes the manabase overly fragile, and FoW isn't good enough since there are no blue rebels.
    Let me say that again, I feel like it'll turn some heads.
    Force of Will is not good enough.
    There. Yes, training grounds is good. Actually, it's amazing. But it's not worth adding the color blue. Neither is daze. And especially not mana leak and spell pierce.

On another note, I'd like to make this deck at least slightly competitive. I don't think it'll ever be top tier or a DTB, but I'd like to make it so it doesn't, you know, embarrass itself. Plus I love the rebels mechanic. Great fun.

So lets analyze the strengths of Wb rebels.dec.

So, without furthur ado, let's get on with my list.

//Mana
    4 Plains
    2 Swamp
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Scrubland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Chrome Mox

//Engine Enablers
    4 Heartstone
    2 Thran Dynamo

//Engine Creatures
    4 Ramosian Sergeant
    3 Defiant Falcon
    1 Blightspeaker
    3 Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
    1 Ramosian Captain
    1 Defiant Vanguard

//Utility
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Dunerider Outlaw
    1 Whipcorder
    1 Big Game Hunter
    1 Bound in Silence
    1 Nightwind Glider
    1 Thermal Glider
    1 Cho-Manno, Revolutionary
    1 Mirror Entity

//Other Cards
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Vindicate
    3 Thoughtsieze

//Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vindicate
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Children of Korlis
    3 Armageddon
    //Two people at my shop play 43 Lands, this is really a flex slot

I like it.
    Actually, I really like it.
    Granted, it's not top tier material. On a good day, I might make top 4 with this list.
    But, I like it. As I said above, it's so fun to play. Give it a whirl! Unless the entry fee is over $10. Then I would take a "real" deck...
    Questions? Comments? Concerns?

I like the black/white version a lot.
    I wish vindicate was not so expensive Online. (30$ last I saw).

A few cards I was thinking about, feel free to critique: (Not necessarily to replace Vindicate, just cards in general)

Rings of Brighthearth
    Mistveil Plains
    Nameless Inversion
    Crib Swap

Rings - Double rebel search for cheap
    Plains - Recycle toolbox - very powerful with Crib Swap/Nameless Inversion
    Nameless - Searchable removal. Not as powerful as StP, but you can get it on demand
    Crib Swap - See above.

I think in the above build I would replace Thran Dynamo or Heartstone with Rings of Brighthearth. Maybe. I will have to do some testing.

This may seem weird, but when I played doing mono-white rebels for shits and giggles in my casual group, the deck's MVP was by far Shining Shoal. It seems a little janky at first, but you always have decently high casting cost cards in your hand because you play cards out of your deck. It also gives you a white "Pitch" card that lets you tap lands for more dudes every turn. The surprise factor is ludicrous because upon seeing it wreck them once, no one will look at the combat stage the same against your deck ever again.

In fact, the whole deck was built around pitch-cards due to the card-advantage theme of rebels. I think I actually ran 4 Shoal, 3 Reverent Mantra, and 2 Ramosian Rally in that deck. That deck was fun as hell to play. I wish I had my Lin Sivvi's still.

Oct 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by cam081586 View Post
    I like the black/white version a lot.
    I wish vindicate was not so expensive Online. (30$ last I saw).

A few cards I was thinking about, feel free to critique: (Not necessarily to replace Vindicate, just cards in general)

Rings of Brighthearth
    Mistveil Plains
    Nameless Inversion
    Crib Swap

Rings - Double rebel search for cheap
    Plains - Recycle toolbox - very powerful with Crib Swap/Nameless Inversion
    Nameless - Searchable removal. Not as powerful as StP, but you can get it on demand
    Crib Swap - See above.

I think in the above build I would replace Thran Dynamo or Heartstone with Rings of Brighthearth. Maybe. I will have to do some testing.
    I like the discussion on this thread. But you cannot tutor instant cards with rebels. They got an errata which allows you only to search for permanent cards, too bad.

The Version with the black splash looks interestingl, but i doubt it's actually fast enough :(. Maybe i test it a bit on MWS

Thread Information