Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soul Sisters

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Soul Sisters

Can't claim to be too original here - but after seeing the standard deck in action at Nationals, figured I'd give it a whirl in legacy (where we're less likely to run into board sweeps)

Here's what I've got so far (definitely a work in progress)

4x Soul Warden
    4x Soul's Attendant
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Serra Ascendant
    4x Auriok Champion
    4x Ajani's Pridemate

4x AEther Vial
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Brave the Elements
    2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    3-4x ????

12x Plains
    4x Kabira Crossroads
    3-4x Wasteland

Seems to perform fairly well against aggro decks - combo decks are an obvious weakness. We also cry when we see EE or Engineered Plague.

I've tested Renewed Faith, didn't particularly like it. The Standard deck runs the white rebound sorcery for card advantage/life gain - but I have a feeling that's a bit too slow for our environment. Trying to figure out if Ranger of Eos would be viable or just too slow (would probably have to up the land count)

Toyed with the idea of going G/W so we can run Essence Warden and something like Pridemage Main - but I'm not sure if opening up to wasteland hate is worth it. Plus fetches dig into our life total a bit. I really like the idea of running the new hate bear main, since at the moment we're not running fetches and it really wouldn't hurt us at all.

Thoughts/suggestions? I've been toying with an e-tutor board for flexability, but I don't know if that's good enough since I have a feeling a lot of the board is going to be dedicated to combo hate, and we'd have to spend a turn tutoring things up.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Re: Soul Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by stuckpixel View Post
    Can't claim to be too original here - but after seeing the standard deck in action at Nationals, figured I'd give it a whirl in legacy (where we're less likely to run into board sweeps)
    I also got pretty excited about this deck. But I keep telling myself that it's more of a casual deck in legacy.
    I thought about Aether Vial, but since the curve and card draw is so low I'm not playing with it. I was also tempted to play Mom, but I went more aggro and put in Knight of Meadowgrain.
    Currently I have Ajani instead of Elspeth, but I'm still on the fence with the planeswalkers.
    My deck is more extended than legacy, actually. I'm running Survival Cache and 3 Honor of the Pure. I also am playing with a single Augury Adept to compliment Cache for draw, but I haven't gotten it out much, so I can't saw much to that strategy.
    I have to run, glad to see someone start a post about this deck!

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Well your going to want Absolute Law in the SB for sure. Also Orim's Chant and Disenchant etc..
    For the MD Umezawa's Jitte, Sword of Light and Shadow maybe Lightning Greaves. One other card to look at might be Armored Ascension. Awesome pump card but it's an arua.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

@tTWD
    - I had thought about Knight, but realized unless I have something to make him bigger, he's going to lose out in most aggro matchups. Sure, he can chump block with mom to gain life, and maybe hold off some smaller guys - but against the big aggro decks, I don't know that he's good enough.

- Vial isn't about dealing with a curve or not having enough mana to play guys. It gives us game against counter-top decks that we otherwise scoop to, and allows us to do some combat trickery. It's actually a huge benefit that we have a low curve, you don't need to wait very long for your vial to become useful - and often you'll just leave it set at one for most of the game. I'm not entirely sold of it as a 4x, I could potentially see going down to 3x.

- Elspeth is superior to ajani in the deck. It's true Ajani can pump your whole team, but Elspeth gains you life (assuming you have a sister or two out), and sends your dorks over the top to deal damage.

- Survival Cache is something I will just need to test with - it seems like dropping a 3 mana sorcery is bad - but white doesn't really have a whole lot of card advantage options.

- Honor of the Pure to me seems more like protection from Engineered Plague than anything else. Most of the dudes aren't very threatening - and if they are, are threatening enough on their own without HoTP.

@Brushwagg
    - Armored ascension is 4 mana, and opens you to a 2-1. On top of that, we don't even run that many Plains. Not legacy playable. Elspeth is superior in every way.
    - Absolute law should be largely unnecessary - as we have brave the elements and 4 mom's main. Beyond that - absolute law doesn't help out against removal in other colors - and doesn't help you swing through for damage either.
    - Orim's chant is more or less an expensive Silence - cool to run if you have em, but it will pretty much serve the same purpose, combo hate.
    - Jitte is good - and I've contemplated running 2x Stoneforge Mystic 2x Jitte in my 4x empty slot. SoLS is potentially worth looking at too - blanks a lot of removal. Greaves doesn't seem to do much of what we need.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

I toyed witht hat a while ago a bit, but I was not quite satisfied with my end result. I'll still post it if, you might take some ideas from it.

// Lands
    19 [IN] Plains

// Creatures
    4 [UL] Mother of Runes
    4 [M11] Ajani's Pridemate
    4 [M11] Serra Ascendant
    4 [ALA] Ranger of Eos
    4 [ROE] Soul's Attendant
    4 [EX] Soul Warden
    4 [CS] Martyr of Sands
    4 [M11] Squadron Hawk

// Spells
    4 [DS] AEther Vial
    2 [SHM] Spectral Procession
    3 [DIS] Proclamation of Rebirth

How about adding green:

Glimpse of Nature
    Essence Warden
    Kitchen Finks

Spike Feeder
    Loxodon Hierarch
    Obstinate Baloth

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

to Tao,
    how has Martyr of Sands worked for you? I had her in my original list, but didn't do much for me. Her only purpose is to die, and I never had many cards in hand to justify giving up a dude.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

The standard deck runs O ring main so you can either run o ring or pump the life gain with kitchen finks. There's no reason to run this list mono white when you can easily splash green for goyf and run knight.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Renewed Faith - cycles and gains life

Stoneforge Mystic gets SoFI, Jitte, Collar

Zuran Orb is repeatable life gain for Pridemate and handles flooding

Proclamation of Rebirth against sweepers
    Do you like drugs?
    Do you like sex?
    Or maybe, you just like to get down...
    To Purple Funky Monkeys!

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    The standard deck runs O ring main so you can either run o ring or pump the life gain with kitchen finks. There's no reason to run this list mono white when you can easily splash green for goyf and run knight.
    Serra Ascendant and Ajani's Pridemate are regularly larger than a goyf. I'm not saying goyf is bad by any means, I just don't feel terribly compelled to lose life on fetches and open our manabase up to serious disruption to run finishers 9-12.

If you're going to go the reliquary and goyf route - you might as well make the full switch over to GW maverick or Bant.

Finks might be worth considering - gains life, recurs after wraths, beats down. Might test in the open slot in my list.

@ Knuckles - Renewed Faith was rather lackluster. Almost always cycled (which is kind of the point) - but I felt like there was better things I could be doing.
    - Stoneforge + equipment I have considered and just might go that route. Active Jitte gives a lot of decks problems.
    - Love Proclamation of Rebirth. Will be testing for sure.
    Last edited by stuckpixel; 09-15-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Seriously, why not run Martyr of sands. It turns Ascendant on instantly. Also the deck needs 4 Ranger of Eos to work properly. It gets either the life gainers or the 6/6 flyers, without it you run out of gas too fast.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Sands isn't a bad idea - probably warrants some testing - and would be pretty decent maindeck vs ichorid.

Cabal Therapist
    Jul 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

did you just say that orim's chant is basicly the same as silence?
    orim's chant= solitary confinement in some cases.without the drawback.
    This man is a truthspeaker! You deserve a beer - if you see me in Ghent, you may present yourself to me as The Speaker of Truths and I will buy you a beer of choice

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

proclamation of rebirth + Martyr of Sands is super fun. I have a mono white life gain I play with casually and I can say it works very well.

Cloudstone Curio anyone? Seems like with several triggered gain lifers in play this would hold back aggro very very well.

Mother of Runes seems unnessary. Just run procalamtion of rebirth to revive what has fallen.

Elspeth 2.0? Three tokens at once seems like nice life gain with the wardens in play. Then spam the +1 ability for some serious gains.

What about a Black splash fro Edgewalker if you're using the Curio for comboliciousness?

What about playing mirror entity (which is a cleric too) for beating hard???
    Iīve tested a deck like this one and sometimes it loses because is not hard enough. Another interesting cards would be :

Lone Missionary: It only cost 2 mana and give us 4 life whic can be very benefitial.

Perimeter Captain: Itīs an anti zoo creature wich give us lifes while he blocks and can be recovered with Proclamation of Rebirth

Rest for the Weary: THis card is a beast with ascendant. Only use flagstones, fetch or even keep a plain to play with and you have 8 more lifes.

Kor Firewalker English: Another antizoo creature that can beat against any red deck and give us lifes in the process

Martyr of sands is great, is the best life giving creature. Combo with proclamation, and the best friend of ascendant. You need to play Ranger of Eos because although itīs expensive it provides you 3 more martyrs to recombo again.

Side you can use children of korlis to gain all lifes you have losed again.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

@ HokusSchmokus
    - For this deck, they're largely the same. Coming out of the board, when would you side them in? The only time I'd want chant main is if I was facing storm combo. The added fog ability for an extra W generally won't be terribly useful - as you're hoping to case before they storm out. If you're using this card to stop a horde of EtW tokens from attacking, you've already lost.

@ Oiolosse
    - If I go with Proclamation, Sands will come along too. Being able to recur a Martyr is big. Beyond that, I love that Martyr gives this deck a way to blow up Dredge's Bridges in the main.
    - Curio could be very useful - I just hate investing card slots and mana on something that doesn't actually impact board position until you do something else with it. As of right now, the deck doesn't really have anything resembling a draw engine - so you'll probably be down to just a few cards in hand by the time you cast curio - might be worth playing around with but first instinct is that it's probably a bit too cute for the deck
    - Mom is huge. She blanks your opponents spot removal (can't Proclamation dudes who were swords'd/path'd), holds down the fort, and gets your heavy hitters through enemy lines when the time is right. All that from a 1/1 for W.
    - Elspeth 2.0 at 5 mana seems just too expensive - unless we wanted to up the land count. Getting to 5 on 19 mana sources seems a bit dicey. Her abilities would be amazing however in this deck - gain life, 3 dudes, or blow up the world save her and tokens. Elspeth 1.0, while not as explosive, seems like it fits in a bit better with a lower mana cost - and the ability to play offense or defense as needed.

@zabuza
    - Lone missionary doesn't seem good enough. Yeah, he gains life - but he doesn't really get through combat lines any better than any of the other creatures we already have
    - Perimeter Captain - Could be worth a try. Playing defense nets us life gain - and he's got a big enough butt that he should be able to hold the line early on.
    - Rest for the Weary seems somewhat bleh. It sees play in some standard decks - but a card that _just_ gains life in legacy is probably going to be a poor use of mana.
    - Firewalker would be fantastic out of the board, if we have the space for him. There's a lot more red in standard than legacy - so I don't like trying to maindeck him.

If anyone has done any testing with this or a build of this - please let us know what you have found out. I'm hoping to get more playtesting in this weekend - we'll see what comes of it.

I looked for a SB solution against EE and Engineered Plague in mono white version :

Illumination

Mana Cost:
    WW
    Instant
    Counter target artifact or enchantment spell. Its controller gains life equal to its converted mana cost.

It is sometimes better than Disenchant but blabla etc.
    I'm too lazy. You know what I mean.

I could see turn 1 Ascendant into turn 2 Martyr + sac(gaining 12) beating storm easily.

Aura of Silence would be quite useful against a lot of match-ups.

Also things to consider, Wasteland + Flagstones of Trokair + Crucible + Zuran Orb + Armageddon? Its a lot, and geddon is 4 mana, but that would be devestating.

Land hate with Aura of Silence would make playing Engineered Explosives rather difficult.

Would honor the pure be something to consider? Cursed Scroll?

Thread Information