Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soul Sisters

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Re: Soul Sisters

Aura of Silence has never been a good solution to engineered explosives, since you can pay 0+2 for 2 counters.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

You want Stoneforge Mystic and its usual equipment package in there. Martyr of Sands + Sword of Light and Shadow = tons of fun (and by fun, I mean life). Also, Umezawa's Jitte.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Initial tests with Martyr and Proclamation have been meh to awful. I'm going to be rolling with the stoneforge + jitte instead.

Proclamation could find a home as a situational board card vs decks packing EE or other sweeps. Martyr goes against what this deck wants to do - as you need to hold cards back in order for her to give you anything.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Quote Originally Posted by stuckpixel View Post
    Martyr goes against what this deck wants to do - as you need to hold cards back in order for her to give you anything.
    +1
    Martyr has no place in a aggro deck like this.

But that being said, I'm thinking out loud here...
    Seeing that this is a cleric deck, perhaps Master Apothecary may be SB material?
    Last edited by the Thin White Duke; 09-18-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: adding random thoughts

Jun 2010
    Maryland, USA

Here is my version of the deck that I have been testing for awhile

lands [20]
    4x windswept heath
    2x verdant catacombs
    2x arid mesa
    4x savannah
    6x plains
    2x forest

creatures [30]
    4x soul warden
    4x soul's attendant
    2x essence warden
    4x ajani's pridemate
    4x qasali pridemage
    2x gaddock teeg
    4x kitchen finks
    3x lone missionary
    3x serra's ascendant

spells [10]
    3x path to exile
    3x swords to plowshares
    1x test of endurance
    3x sylvan library

board [15]
    3x krosan grip
    4x mindbreak trap
    2x pithing needle
    3x leyline of lifeforce/vexing shusher
    1x tormod's crypt
    1x relic of progenitus
    1x wheel of sun and moon

I like the green splash for filtering and drawing with library especially with the life gain as well as the use of kitchen finks and gaddock teeg. Green also helps with the board bringing in krosan grips for moat/humility/ensnaring bridge/counterbalance etc as well as the use of anti counter cards like leyline of lifeforce and vexing shusher.

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    +1
    Martyr has no place in a aggro deck like this.

But that being said, I'm thinking out loud here...
    Seeing that this is a cleric deck, perhaps Master Apothecary may be SB material?
    I've tried that card a bit over the years, it just doesn't do enough and depending on how you set up your lands the 3w can be a real pain in the ass. The new cat legend that when she's equipped makes kittens while being softer on mana color and can do more. However, that would require a different build to have a weapon tool kit. Also, Kemba has 2 more toughness.

of Eternity
    Apr 2006
    Morioka, Japan

I'm kind of curious why anyone would want to make this deck more than 1 color? Fetches make us lose life, we're trying to get to 30 as fast as we can.
    I'm currently working on a build of this for Legacy myself, I'll have a list posted w/results as soon as I've gotten something solid.

Jun 2010
    Maryland, USA

@ dissolution
    see my 2 color deck doesn't depend on serra ascendant to win the game for me so hitting 30 life is nice but not necessary. Although I will admit that it is very easy to do so. Also, the life lost by fetch lands is so minimal with 4 soul warden 4 soul's attendant 2 essence warden 3 kitchen fink and 3 lone missionary. I also feel that in order to make this deck competitive it must be more than one color especially when adding green allows you to add qasali pridmage(counterbalance, moat, ensnaring bridge, chalice, etc) and gaddock teeg (stalling wrath effects, jace2.0, moat, humility, EE, chalice, smokestack, etc). The addition of green makes this deck so much better against bad matchups that its worth doing. I will also note that in my testing I would be able to draw 2 extra cards with sylvan library and gain all the life back after playing 2 cards so its not a problem at all

of Eternity
    Apr 2006
    Morioka, Japan

Wouldn't you be better off just running Goyf & Taxes or a different deck at that point?
    I mean, Soul Sisters will never be Tier 1 (probably not even Tier 2) in Legacy, but if you're going to have a theme, you need to stick to it. The deck already gets hosed by Pyroclasm / Firespout / Engineered Explosives / Engineered Plague, why add Stifle + Wasteland?

I´m playing an own version of this deck, The list is:

4x windswept heath
    2x arid mesa
    9x plains
    2x Karakas

creatures [30]

4x Figure of Destiny
    4x Student of warfare
    4x Martyr of sandsl
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Goldmeadow Harrier
    4x serra's ascendant
    3x Ranger of EOS
    4x Stoneforge Mystic

spells [10]
    4x path to exile
    4x Tithe
    4x Proclamation of rebirth
    1x Basilisk Collar
    1x Umzawa´s Jitte

What do you think??

May 2010
    USA

I've compiled a similar list in a different thread. Let me know what you think and feel free to use any ideas.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showt...89#post5644189

of Eternity
    Apr 2006
    Morioka, Japan

I've been slaughtering the MTGO Tournament Practice Room with this:

4x Soul Warden
    4x Soul's Attendant
    4x Ajani's Pridemate
    4x Ranger of Eos
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Serra Ascendant

4x Spectral Procession
    4x Survival Cache
    4x Swords to Plowshares

2x Ajani Goldmane
    1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

4x Kabira Crossroads
    17x Plains

Sideboard
    4x Silence
    4x Pithing Needle
    4x Relic of Progenitus
    3x Oblivion Ring

The only deck that I have lost to with any consistency is Deed-Still, otherwise I've been at least 50/50 against Goblins, Zoo, Dredge, White-Stax, Burn, New Horizons, Deadguy/Eva Green, and other misc not-quite-finished decks.
    I would be running wastelands (own them IRL) but I don't have them Online, same for the 2nd Elspeth.

The sideboard is junk, but it's for the random matchups online.

Between Survival Cache, Ranger of Eos, Spectral Procession, and the planeswalkers, the deck generates a lot of card advantage. This helps me get past the general weakness of the 1/1's.
    -Tim
    Last edited by Dissolution; 10-18-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Missing cards.

i was wondering, maybe this deck could abuse isochron scepter/chant lock?

Would Path be better than Swords here? I'm thinking that the acceleration may be better for you to abuse than the lifegain for the oppponent.

of Eternity
    Apr 2006
    Morioka, Japan

Isochron Scepter requires a deck built around it. And it's heyday has passed.

Soul Sisters is a mid-to-lategame deck. Path accelerates the opponent in the earlygame (our weakest) and we need it the most during then. Pathing a Lackey means we lose.
    Also, if they point removal at our guys, Swordsing one to gain life and make Pridemate bigger / get to 30 have won me games.
    -T

Aug 2008
    Wilkes Barre

Why not new Elspeth over old Elspeth or a combination? New pumps out 3 dudes and gains you life for each creature you control. Seems to help with the whole idea of the deck
    Check out my Articles

of Eternity
    Apr 2006
    Morioka, Japan

While I haven't tested Neo-Elspeth yet, I feel that she might not make the cut. Her 5 CMC is the biggest drawback, especially in a deck that is already running 8 CMC 3 cards and 7 with CMC 4. Her abilities are quite good, though. Elsepth 1.0's second ability is far more relevant, allowing our Huge/Large Pridemates to get in with evasion.
    -T

What do people think of well of dreams vs survival cache?

Obviously survival cache does gain life and pumps creates, has some synergy, but well of dreams has the potential for a lot more card draw.

Other than that, my list is pretty basic. I do run flagstones to thin out the deck, and for other obvious reasons (LD and to get kabira in)

of Eternity
    Apr 2006
    Morioka, Japan

Well of Dreams seems more fragile, and it's a mana sink. One more mana to cast, more mana to activate. It would also draw counters more frequently, I feel, as it seems more scary than Survival Cache.

Flagstones just to thin are a bad idea. You'll draw an extra and then get tapped plains and be unable to cast what you need. Besides, many times it has been shown that fetches 'thinning' effect is largely unimportant. We don't need the shuffle effects, either.
    -Tim

I will have to do some more testing with flagstones. Sometimes bringing in 2x crossroads is somewhat helpful. However, I can see your point on not having mana available when I need it. So far I have not ran into that since a lot of the deck has small casting costs, but I can think of a few times when it could get ugly.

Thread Information